PDA

View Full Version : Evo X SST Transmission delayed.

benyl
11-13-2007, 03:36 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/212148/mitsubishi_on_hold.html

Production difficulties with hi-tech SST gearbox may delay Evo X's arrival

The six-speed semi-automatic gearbox is one of the most capable on the market. But according to our sources, its complexity has meant mass-producing the unit is proving more difficult than expected.

Initially, it was thought that production of cars with the transmission – which is similar to VW’s twin-clutch DSG gearbox – would begin this month in Japan. However, insiders now believe that because of reliability glitches, the first SST models won’t roll out of the factory until early next year, delaying their arrival in the UK until summer. Officially, Mitsubishi claims that there are no problems. The company insists that the Evo X will be available with both the SST gearbox and a more conventional five-speed manual unit from its UK launch in March.

A first for the company, SST – which stands for Sport-Shift Transmission – offers the driver three increasingly responsive modes, ranging from Normal to Sport to Super-Sport, with the last of these holding the engine to the red line before changing up. The driver can take over at any time thanks to F1-style steering wheel-mounted paddles.

The gearbox will ensure the car steals a march on its arch-rival, Subaru’s Impreza STI, which is only available with a conventional manual transmission. Sales of the Evo X get underway in spring, with prices from £30,000.

benyl
11-13-2007, 03:37 PM
haha, looks like I am going to have to wait longer. I might even give up my deposit and get a 2nd or 3rd year Evo X. Wait until they work out all the bugs.

b_t
11-13-2007, 05:33 PM
I am not as interested in the Evo as I am in the new AWD turbo Ralliart, especially if the Ralliart comes with a conventional 6 speed and the older (and, presumably, cheaper) 4G63 engine. I'd be more interested in the Evo if it was a hatchback, because otherwise, I wouldn't be able to have just one vehicle that is so impractical, whereas I could afford to keep a Ralliart and a truck around at the same time.

benyl
11-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I am still awaiting pricing.

b_t
11-13-2007, 06:08 PM
I would think, especially since Mitsu has the SST transmission on their side, and years of pent up Canadian demand (haha) the Evo would be priced almost 100% the same as an STi if not a bit more... which are really expensive in Canada.

Aleks
11-13-2007, 06:15 PM
I know the VW DSG is TQ limited to 260ft-lbs or something close to that. Didn't Mitsu buy the license from VW for this tranny? If so that might explain the delays.

95EagleAWD
11-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by b_t
I am not as interested in the Evo as I am in the new AWD turbo Ralliart, especially if the Ralliart comes with a conventional 6 speed and the older (and, presumably, cheaper) 4G63 engine. I'd be more interested in the Evo if it was a hatchback, because otherwise, I wouldn't be able to have just one vehicle that is so impractical, whereas I could afford to keep a Ralliart and a truck around at the same time.

It doesn't. The 4G63 is dead and the 4B11 is the new Mitsu global engine.

tentacles
11-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Didn't Mitsu buy the license from VW for this tranny?

VW buys the DSG transmission from Borg Warner.

GTS Jeff
11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Ah great, good ol' reliable Mitsu is already experiencing major problems. Are the JDM EVOs already sold affected by this problem?

Oh well, at least they're getting some of the stuff out of the way earlier on.

SilverRex
11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I am still awaiting pricing.

let me know if your going to passup your spot with your deposit on the evo

benyl
11-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Ordered the car yesterday. Still no pricing.

Ordered an Evo MR Premium in white. First one in Calgary...

Price is forcasted to be $55K. :eek: :eek:

If the price doesn't come down, we may be able to work something out... haha

b_t
11-15-2007, 03:29 PM
$55k is way, way, way, way too much for an Evo. Like, they are fast and all, but I'd rather save $35,000 and get an '04 STi instead.

colsankey
11-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Which dealership did you order from? Ordered from Hyatt and last I heard they were a) only taking names, not actually ordering cars as they are not due until february/march at the earliest, and b) have no idea what the price will be

I have put my name on the list for an MR Premium..but there is no way I will pay $55k. If it is over 45,000 then I'm just buying a Subaru WRX cuz it's not worth more than that, but some suckers will stay will pay it just to get an evo

colsankey
11-16-2007, 02:36 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/category/la-auto-show/

LA Auto Show this weekend.
"Lancer Evo X pricing according to one source will be around $30,000 for the GSR, and $36,000 for the MR."

Let's hope for similar Canadian figures!!!

Aleks
11-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by colsankey
http://www.autoblog.com/category/la-auto-show/

LA Auto Show this weekend.
"Lancer Evo X pricing according to one source will be around $30,000 for the GSR, and $36,000 for the MR."

Let's hope for similar Canadian figures!!!

At $36K CAD for an MR they would probably sell out/ have 2 yr long wait lists.

Highly unlikely...

SilverRex
11-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by colsankey
Which dealership did you order from? Ordered from Hyatt and last I heard they were a) only taking names, not actually ordering cars as they are not due until february/march at the earliest, and b) have no idea what the price will be

I have put my name on the list for an MR Premium..but there is no way I will pay $55k. If it is over 45,000 then I'm just buying a Subaru WRX cuz it's not worth more than that, but some suckers will stay will pay it just to get an evo

I agree

you can easily mod the wrx up enough to compete with the evo while still having money left over.

ricoRA
11-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Highly unlikely...

Yeah, at $55k cnd one could get two WRXs from the US, LOL.

I too don't think I will get one if they are $50K. I was told, if they had to guess on pricing it would be, GSR - 40K, MR - 45K, MR Premium - 50K.

Ordered a black MR, but it's so hard to justify $45k for a car that cost $36K in the US.

Too bad 2008 EVOs are inadmissible from the US. I don't think new STIs are.

GTS Jeff
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by b_t
$55k is way, way, way, way too much for an Evo. Like, they are fast and all, but I'd rather save $35,000 and get an '04 STi instead. With the amount of understeer in the Rev Ds, you might as well buy a FWD car. An 04 STi isn't half the car an Evo X would be.

colsankey
11-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Highly unlikely...

I didn't say identical i said similar. Like several thousand different instead of the typical 12-15k difference.

ryanallan
11-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Paying 36k for US car or 55k for a Canadian car is ridiculous.

I hate when looser dealerships, who could care less about the cars they sell, add outrageous markups. Wouldn’t the better strategy be to keep the MRSP price, sell to an enthusiast and then wait for them to come back in two years to trade for the newer model ?

ricoRA
11-16-2007, 10:06 PM
^^ those are MSRP prices. Thats what having a down payment for an EVO X guarantees.

colsankey
11-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Well this was really shitty to see, hopefully they make it better in Canada (taken from mitsubishicars.com)

"Lancer Evolution is covered by a bumper-to-bumper, New Vehicle Limited Warranty of 36 months or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first). The restraints system and the highly technical powertrain are covered by a 5-year or 60,000 miles Powertrain Limited Warranty, an Anti-Corrosion Perforation Limited Warranty for 7-years or 100,000 miles and a generous 5-year, unlimited miles timeframe for roadside assistance. All warranties are transferable to subsequent owners; coverage time begins on the original in-service date (does not start over with resale.)"