PDA

View Full Version : Calgary installer for Computstar remote starter

250and3
11-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Looking for a good shop in Calgary for install of a compustar (or other) remote starter. I see Autodream is recomended, but it seems like all those threads are a couple years old. They still around?
anyone have a reccomended 2-way starter?

euro_racer
11-13-2007, 04:42 PM
what kind of vehicle is it for?

S13_Ryan
11-13-2007, 04:55 PM
yes autodream is still around haha. i reccomend trying to find a knowledged user on here to install it for you though. might save you a bit of moneys

S13_Ryan
11-13-2007, 04:59 PM
just incase you wanna contact autodream 248 1566 is the number:burnout:

samo147
11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
yeah i too am looking for recommendations

i heard:
- speedtech
- customautos
- alarmtec
- futureshop or bestbuy

cant anyone vouch for these guys?

what about new car warranty will that be voided by the install of an aftermarket starter?

Im leaning towards futureshop or bestbuy because of the warranty they provide but dont know how good it would be if there are any problems.

im also weary of inexperience installers at futureshop and bestbuy.

riced
11-13-2007, 07:55 PM
alarmtec hands down..
these two guys have been in the business for years, recently they just expanded their shop right beside T&T honda.
they have so much experience, and their installs are the cleanest i've seen. hell, my old starter broke maybe 2 years after they installed it and he fixed it for free.

personal experience:
when I was in the market for HID's, every shop said that they'd have to disable my DRL's and my HID's would be on all the time. that's pretty crappy. I went to alarmtec and he said he knows how to do it, in fact many guys that got it installed from other shops (won't be mentioned) came to him to fix it.

you won't regret it.

11-13-2007, 08:07 PM
I can vouch for best buy ... being that i am the most experianced installer in the deerfoot meadows location :thumbsup:

250and3
11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer
what kind of vehicle is it for?

That might help.
2007 Mazda3 with a manual tranny, so I'll need the clutch interlock setup.
It's got the factory alarm/immobilizer/door locks, so I'd like it to work with that.

250and3
11-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I'll probably get it done at a shop, since the car is under warranty and I don't want mazda coming back at me and saying the starter screwed anything else up. If I get "some other user" to install it, I can't really prove the quality of his or her work.

11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
neg

250and3
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I see best buy has nustart and command start brands on their web site. Anyone know about these two?

11-14-2007, 10:33 AM
What do you wanna know, i have installed nustart (which is compustar) and commandstart for a few years.
Nustart is better in my opinion, more range, easier manual mode, better remote, more options, better wiring. but more expensive.

pyro
11-14-2007, 05:03 PM
speedtech FTW:thumbsup:
they have done both my vehicals and always did an awesome job. clean installs, and easy to deal with.

250and3
11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Things I want to know:
- has anyone used AutoDream to install thier starter in the last year or so? what car, what starter and what experieces.
- aside from the basic system, what "add-ons" are common?
- Anyone have actual expereinces with other 2-way systems like NuStart etc?

I'ver never had a car starter before, so I don't really know anything about them. How well do they integrate with the factory alarm and power door locks? Do I end up with just one remote or two?

In the end, I'm looking for a good system installed by a great installer. My Christmas bonus is coming, so I have some scratch to spend.

Thoughts everyone?

11-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 250and3
Things I want to know:
- has anyone used AutoDream to install thier starter in the last year or so? what car, what starter and what experieces.
- aside from the basic system, what "add-ons" are common?
- Anyone have actual expereinces with other 2-way systems like NuStart etc?

I'ver never had a car starter before, so I don't really know anything about them. How well do they integrate with the factory alarm and power door locks? Do I end up with just one remote or two?

In the end, I'm looking for a good system installed by a great installer. My Christmas bonus is coming, so I have some scratch to spend.

Thoughts everyone?

Again i have ACTUAL experiance with nustart I intsall them daily.
All places will generally charge you 40-60 dollars to integrate locks and factory alarm (provided you have factory power locks)

some add ons most places offer are things such as:

Starterkill / antigrind (safety feature to not allow you to kill your starter after remote start, and not allow someone to steal your car (immobilizer style))

PDL (power door locks)

For alarm funtionality a trunk pin

Extra sirens and or pinswithces, for secondary hood/trunk

There arent to many extra add ons for that car but these are the most common

Hayate
11-15-2007, 12:07 PM
I can vouge for Futureshop NE Calgary location, they did my compustar starter/alarm. Have no complaints, they did it fast and it works great

11-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I would

SportEL
11-17-2007, 04:28 PM
So is Nustart better or Compustar? even though they are the same company.

11-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Same shit differant name.

2BLUE
11-17-2007, 09:41 PM
why is it when i hooked up trailer light plug my compustar wont start my car and my lights flash funny but as soon as i ripped out the trailer lights my car starter worked perfect?

StupidWade
11-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Things I want to know:

I've had Autodream install 3 Compustar systems over the last 5 or 6 years.

1. '97 Eagle Talon TSi - Starter/alarm with no fancies except manual transmission. This was about 5 or 6 years ago. Everything went well and the system worked fine until I got rid of the car last year. I was happy with the work so I had them install another system in a...

2. 2004 Nissan Frontier - Another basic starter/alarm. This was a couple/few years ago. It's still working fine, too, so I had them install a Compustar in my...

3. 2006 WRX - This install was a bit more involved. They had to work around the chip in the key. As well, I had them put the front windows up/down onto an auxiliary channel. Finally, the trunk went onto button 3, but the car had a cable release system for the trunk and they had to install the solenoid. This install also went very well and is still working fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to get AutoDream to install a Compustar on any vehicle I had. I'll admit that their price wasn't the best in town, but I trusted them to do a good job from start to finish in one day and they did. That's worth a lot to me.

(I am not affiliated with AutoDream in any way except as being a happy customer.)

250and3
11-18-2007, 10:03 AM
I booked myself into AutoDream yesterday. Nothing against they guys from the chain shops (best buy and future shop) but I find that most of the folks who work there are just cashing a cheque.
I'm booked in for 2 weeks from now, so we'll see how that goes.

11-18-2007, 10:56 AM
I booked myself into AutoDream yesterday. Nothing against they guys from the chain shops (best buy and future shop) but I find that most of the folks who work there are just cashing a cheque.
I'm booked in for 2 weeks from now, so we'll see how that goes.

im just curious as to what you think the folks at autodreams are doing? working for free?

250and3
11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I just think I have a better chance of getting someone who is passionate about cars at a smaller shop like that. Obviously, there are people, just yourself, who love cars and work at the larger chain stores, but I'm sure you'd agree that a lot of the guys there don't.

I've had a lot of bad experiences at places like A&B, Future shop etc.

11-18-2007, 02:41 PM
I just think I have a better chance of getting someone who is passionate about cars at a smaller shop like that. Obviously, there are people, just yourself, who love cars and work at the larger chain stores, but I'm sure you'd agree that a lot of the guys there don't.

I've had a lot of bad experiences at places like A&B, Future shop etc.

agreed. I just took what you said above as the smaller shops work for peanuts.... lol.. cool. i agree with you on the most part.

Strugari
11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
why is it when i hooked up trailer light plug my compustar wont start my car and my lights flash funny but as soon as i ripped out the trailer lights my car starter worked perfect?

You may have a burnt bulb in your trailer, causing the brake wire to have 12V. It could be your trailer plug itself.
Check the wiring to make sure you don't have any bare wires touching each other.
Something is causing the brake wire to see 12V causing a no start situation with your Compustar.:thumbsup:

BlackFyre
11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
I have a 2007 Dodge Magnum and I need an alarm starter, It's a computstar, 2way, how much for the install, locks, starterkill, windows up/down, extra led's,and trunk pop.

Dj_Stylz
11-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Off Topic question:

I have the turbo timer on, on my remote and the only way the car will start with the remote is when i park the car and open and close the door. It will turn off it self and it will lock it self.

But if i stop and hit the break the car will stop it self and if i go to turn it on the lights just flash 3 times.

Im wondering why the car wont start unless i do it a certain way? I have turned the turbo timer off and its the same thing.

Strugari
11-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Is it a manual transmission?
What brand of remote starter is it that you have?

Dj_Stylz
11-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah its a manual transmission and the remote starter is a Compustar2S800FMR (3000)

Strugari
11-18-2007, 08:26 PM
The Compustar has to be "setup" each time you exit the vehicle. These are safety features built in to the unit to insure that the vehicle is in neutral. If your car had a neutral safety switch, that would be different, but being a standard, most cars do not have that switch.:thumbsup:

dsbooyah
11-18-2007, 08:47 PM
I heard these guys from a shop called Autotech over in the n.e. do a very great job on their installs. Very passionate with their work. Word was that they do alot of dealership cars. I went to try them out and found them to be very honest and did not beat around the bush about pricing.

Dj_Stylz
11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Strugari
The Compustar has to be "setup" each time you exit the vehicle. These are safety features built in to the unit to insure that the vehicle is in neutral. If your car had a neutral safety switch, that would be different, but being a standard, most cars do not have that switch.:thumbsup:

I don't mind it but sometimes ill hit the brake by accident and if i want to start the car up in the morning ill have to turn it back on. Its not a bad thing i was just wondering why i had to do it that way.

SportEL
11-19-2007, 02:53 AM
So the Nustart operate on the 433 MHz and Compustar on the 900 MHz frequency. Any advantage to either? Such as reception or other.

Also, what about the Spread Spectrum Systems?

Also, can Viper be seen as comparable or better than Compustar?

250and3
11-24-2007, 02:57 PM
I'll need an extra key for them to leave installed, since my car has a factory immobilizer. Is that right?

Strugari
11-24-2007, 06:43 PM
I'll need an extra key for them to leave installed, since my car has a factory immobilizer. Is that right?

What kind of car do you have?:thumbsup:

250and3
11-25-2007, 10:02 AM
2007 Mazda3. 2.3l, manual tranny.