PDA

View Full Version : Distortion??

Joe-G
11-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Hey,

I just installed a system in my car consisting of a sub and amp. Ive unplugged the stock Harmon Kardon subs and my problem is that when playing at low volumes there is alot of cutting and distortion when no bass sounds are playing. Also, even when the sound is all the way down (off) when changing songs i can hear cutting sounds coming from the sub, it sounds kinda like a popping noise. its a 150rms sub run by a 180 watt amp. When theres no volume there is also a quiet humming noise coming from the sub and when music is playing its almost as if it was trying to play music through the sub..though when theres a bass note it hits HARD, almost just as hard as my friends dual jbl subs.

Would my problem be the Fixed high to low Stinger LOC that i have? I know for fact the the signal going into the LOC from the head unit is balanced. Is there another alternative to add a high pass filter through the rca wires so that i dont have to open up the trunk again and install a different LOC?

thanks for any input

11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Usually when i do this kind of thing on bose systems, LOC to run aft market subs, its usually just a voltage problem to the LOC, if you have the LOC at the speakers, change it to behind the deck, and vice versa, if you have it at the deck move it to the speakers, or turn down the gains on the amp.

Joe-G
11-14-2007, 12:12 AM
After lots of research i tapped into the line before the amp coming out of the deck. To turn the gain down would i have to turn the two knobs above the rca inputs? why would there be two?

currytillidie
11-14-2007, 05:32 PM
one knob is for the gain the other for the frequency (it plays a differnt bass i tihnk not sure)_

Joe-G
11-14-2007, 05:50 PM
anyone else want to share a bit of info?

Joe-G
11-14-2007, 08:38 PM
nvm i guess i found the knob for the gain and turned it down a bit and now it doesnt make any problems...but im not too sure of the other knob, it didnt do much when i turned it so i turned it all the way down.