PDA

View Full Version : Anyone took the GRE?

RX_EVOLV
11-14-2007, 05:07 PM
i'm thinking about taking the GRE to (hopefully) improve my chances of getting into Graduate school, anyone here wrote it?
Any advice? most UofC grad program doesnt require a GRE, would they still consider it?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

dreamcatcher
12-03-2007, 04:54 AM
Not really worth much for Canadian universities in general. The US ones place more emphasis on your GRE score. Anything over 1200 is decent; over 1400 is considered top-class.

As for the test itself, there are 2 sections + a writing section, although I believe there was a change recently (or upcoming). The math/quant section is much easier than the verbal one, especially if you dedicate a lot of time to pratice - I've known complete math-retards score over 750 in it.

The verbal section is the tough one - to get 700 or higher in it is really, really difficult. Most people (regardless of major) tend to perform lower on it. You had better spend a few months preparing for the Analogies section as it is purely vocabulary.

Other than that, I would advise that you check with any institution you plan to apply to, and find out if the scores are used in the admissions process - and if so, how much weight do they carry. I know most U of C departments don't require it, and taking it would probably be a waste of time...

TimG
12-04-2007, 04:57 PM
What grad program are you thinking of applying to?

I think some canadian universities look at GRE scores, but only for specific departments/faculties. UBC and UofT come to mind.