PDA

View Full Version : Ruths Chris Steakhouse

gcycheun
11-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Its been open for a little while now, has anyone tried it yet? I love premium US steaks...yummm. :drool:

bradwatson
11-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah it's a good spot. My buddy is a bartender/server there. It's not bad for a mid-high price meal. Like you said, I like premium US steaks.

asuth077
11-15-2007, 05:05 PM
I have eaten at quite a few in the states with work and I love them. Having one in Calgary is great, all of our clients like the idea of having a familiar place they can go too.

I would recommend trying it. It is no Vintage though.

sputnik
11-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Does the beef actually come from the US or is it locally sourced?

benyl
11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Two co-workers have gone on different occasions. Neither was impressed. The food was bad for both of them.

MilanoRedTeg
11-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Does the beef actually come from the US or is it locally sourced?

I work right beside there and the word in the office is that the beef comes from the US, I could be wrong though.

Choice
11-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Went to try it out this past weekend and it's OK. Found it to be expensive considering you're paying $50 for a steak by itself (no side dishes). The steak itself was good, just not great. Definitely had better.

black_2.5RS
11-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Vintage is where you want to go for steaks. Hands down the best steak joint in Calgary IMO.

Ajay
11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
They have one in Calgary now? I went to the one in Toronto when I was there for work last week. That place does have amazing steaks that's for DAMN sure.

KRyn
11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't understand why people go out for steak. Steak is one of the easiest meats to prepare and cook. You can go out and buy an entire AAA striploin for anywhere between 80-100$ cut your own steaks as thick or as thin as you like. Then cook it exactly how you like it.

JRSC00LUDE
11-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Am I reading this right? People are happy they use U.S. beef? Since when does the US have better quality beef than Canada? I must have missed a memo.

sputnik
11-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
I don't understand why people go out for steak. Steak is one of the easiest meats to prepare and cook. You can go out and buy an entire AAA striploin for anywhere between 80-100$ cut your own steaks as thick or as thin as you like. Then cook it exactly how you like it.

I am still amazed by the people who don't know how to properly BBQ a steak.

Most people don't realize that you have to have your BBQ as hot as you can get (over 500F) and the steak at room temperature before starting. Steaks are best cooked fast.

Chandler_Racing
11-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

I am still amazed by the people who don't know how to properly BBQ a steak.

Most people don't realize that you have to have your BBQ as hot as you can get (over 500F) and the steak at room temperature before starting. Steaks are best cooked fast.

Chris's Ruth menu claims the steaks are cooked at 1800F. I was in the Edmonton location last night, great food.

One of the better places for lobster and steak in my opinion. Very pricey though, as with wine it's not hard to hit $500 + tip

gcycheun
11-16-2007, 12:27 PM
US Premium beef is way better than Canadian beef. The only beef I know of which is better is from Argentina. The best steak I've ever ate was at Mortons steakhouse in the US, and Ive had steaks at places such as Vintage, Caesars and all the other top steakhouses here in town.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Am I reading this right? People are happy they use U.S. beef? Since when does the US have better quality beef than Canada? I must have missed a memo.

98type_r
11-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Food is good, but i wouldn't say great considering the price. There are better options IMO.

JRSC00LUDE
11-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by gcycheun
US Premium beef is way better than Canadian beef. The only beef I know of which is better is from Argentina. The best steak I've ever ate was at Mortons steakhouse in the US, and Ive had steaks at places such as Vintage, Caesars and all the other top steakhouses here in town.

Well, I'm willing to give it a shot next time I'm in town. Thanks for the tip!

Supa Dexta
11-16-2007, 02:29 PM
US Premium beef is way better than Canadian beef. The only beef I know of which is better is from Argentina.

Any why would that be.. Anywheres else's beef is always better then local. ha.. everywheres else they sell Alberta beef as the best and in alberta it has to be from somewheres else..

JRSC00LUDE
11-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Likely because most of the "high-end" steakhouses that proclaim Alberta Beef actually serve cheap-ass new zealand beef etc. that was just cut here so it could be labelled as "Alberta Beef".

Happens at way more places than you think, friend from Canmore used to be in the beef selling business and was in most of the good restaurants coolers. In fact, I hear he's back in it (meat sales, not the cooler haha) now but we've lost touch over the last few years.

Ajay
11-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

Chris's Ruth menu claims the steaks are cooked at 1800F. I was in the Edmonton location last night, great food.

One of the better places for lobster and steak in my opinion. Very pricey though, as with wine it's not hard to hit $500 + tip

With how many people? When I was in TO the meal was paid for by the company and there were about 20 of us. Didn't get to see the bill.

rmk
11-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Ajay

With how many people? When I was in TO the meal was paid for by the company and there were about 20 of us. Didn't get to see the bill.

there is a group at my work (40) who are going there on monday :eek: is it true that the steaks start at $50?

bobby_lu
11-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Yes.

akumajack
11-17-2007, 12:39 PM
For that kinda price, I'd rather go to the Bear's Den. The best steak ever!

The Winger
11-22-2007, 11:09 AM
I have been to a Ruth's Chris steakhouses in a few places in America, so was excited to hear it was opening up here. We went last Friday night (4 adults and 3 kids) and it was fantastic. Total bill was $550 and that was with some nice wine, drinks, and appys for everyone.

The steaks are perfect, nothing about them could be improved, and I am a guy who does go and by my own full prime ribs and cut them up into steaks. Besides the steaks, my wife had a stuffed chicken that was stuffed with Herb and Garlic cream cheese that was simply amazing. All side dishes are huge and meant for sharing (we ordered too many). Service was top notch, not overbearing but within reach at all times.

I guess it could be considered expensive, but I didn't think so for the quality of the food and service. I consider a place like the Keg to be expensive since it is probably the worst steaks around with brutal service.

gran turismo
11-22-2007, 11:30 AM
I would've thought most people wouldn't like Ruths Chris. I've been to the one in Edmonton. I think they are terrible. They actually bake the steaks in butter. Totally disgusting. Every side dish you get is coated in butter. The food is totally overpriced. Service was good but not exceptional.

I recommend you stay away from this place. There are so many better and less expensive steak houses in Calgary and Edmonton.

BebeAphrodite
11-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by gran turismo
They actually bake the steaks in butter... Every side dish you get is coated in butter.

I've never felt as 'buttered out' as I did after eating dinner there. I think the mashed potatoes tasted great but everything was oozing butter.
As much as I love butter, I can't eat it in such abundance.

A mistake I made was ordering my 2 4 oz. medallion steaks medium.
Since the steaks come out on a super hot plate and my steaks were quite small, by the time I began eating my steak, the mediums turned into medium well - almost well done.

However, the other people in my group immensely enjoyed their steaks (especially the T-bone one).

sputnik
11-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
Since the steaks come out on a super hot plate and my steaks were quite small, by the time I began eating my steak, the mediums turned into medium well - almost well done.

I have yet to eat at a steakhouse downtown that does a proper medium rare filet.

Ceasars, Hy's (at the time), Vintage and the Chophouse always give me a medium/medium-well steak when I ask for medium rare.

Sadly. The Keg is the only consistent steak house that I have been able to get a good medium rare steak at in Calgary.

urban.one
11-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Steak shouldnt cook on your plate.

It should sit tented after its taken off the grill so that the juices settle. During this time it continues cooking and the temperature should drop sufficiently that by the time its plated it no longer cooks any futher.

(edit: unless your implying they cooked from the hot plate - thats bad practice on the restaurants part then.)

Originally posted by BebeAphrodite

I've never felt as 'buttered out' as I did after eating dinner there. I think the mashed potatoes tasted great but everything was oozing butter.
As much as I love butter, I can't eat it in such abundance.

However, the other people in my group immensely enjoyed their steaks (especially the T-bone one).

BebeAphrodite
11-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Steak shouldnt cook on your plate.

It should sit tented after its taken off the grill so that the juices settle. During this time it continues cooking and the temperature should drop sufficiently that by the time its plated it no longer cooks any futher.

(edit: unless your implying they cooked from the hot plate - thats bad practice on the restaurants part then.)

I'm not sure how they cook the steaks as they have some 'special technique'.

The steaks come served on a really hot plate. It's so hot that they warn you not to touch the plate, you can feel the heat radiating off, and they use cloth napkins to serve the plates.

dino_martini
11-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Where is Ruths Chris?

QuasarCav
11-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Where is Ruths Chris?

On 9th in Tower Centre.

CKY
11-30-2007, 04:56 AM

I think people prefer USDA beef over local beef just because it's a different taste to what they're use to. IMO they're both very good but I'd rather support local produce over an American product. With that I'm not saying Ruth's Chris is bad I'd just prefer Vintage or Caeser's if I had the choice.

B20EF
11-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I work at a Hotel very close to Ruths Chris and actually all the reviews I had from guests are bad, this is local and American people. They say it's too expensive for the quality, I've personally never tried it. They have to learn how to grease my palm before I send people there.

urban.one
11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
USDA is only the rating system used in the US (Prime, choice, etc Vs. AAA, AA, etc in Canada). Even if your eating your steak in the USA, it could be from cow that was imported as a calf into the USA from Canada.

Originally posted by CKY

I think people prefer USDA beef over local beef just because it's a different taste to what they're use to. IMO they're both very good but I'd rather support local produce over an American product. With that I'm not saying Ruth's Chris is bad I'd just prefer Vintage or Caeser's if I had the choice.

hammock
11-30-2007, 03:15 PM
They are overrated in my opinion.. tried the one in Edmonton a few months ago.

I was in Japan last week, and had some Matsuzaka steak (one of the three famous areas in Japan for beef, along with Kobe and Oumi.. from the wagyu cattle) and it was freaking unbelievable. Nothing can compare anymore.

npham
12-01-2007, 03:58 AM
I had some Kobe Beef(see $100 per pound and up), while in Vegas and it was the best cut of meat I've ever had...too bad the prep was awful.

Impreza
12-01-2007, 04:42 PM
^That's all I ate pretty much for lunch and dinner in Vegas last time I went. I love kobe beef! It is very different in the texture and everything, but I still love my Alberta beef more haha.

rx7_turbo2
01-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Someone who works for Encana could confirm this but I was told by two Encana empoyees now, that Encana has made a decision to no longer honor for expense account reimbursments reciepts from this steak house. Apperhently they don't want to support the place. I've also heard nothing but terrible reviews from a dozen or so other people regarding this place. I have not personally tried it, and it doesnt sound like I'm going to.

me&you
01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Someone who works for Encana could confirm this but I was told by two Encana empoyees now, that Encana has made a decision to no longer honor for expense account reimbursments reciepts from this steak house. Apperhently they don't want to support the place. I've also heard nothing but terrible reviews from a dozen or so other people regarding this place. I have not personally tried it, and it doesnt sound like I'm going to.

Don't bother going... I haven't heard a single positive review.

It is a nice place, great atmosphere, but other than sheer novelty (which, I guess, is nice to experience once), there is nothing worth going back for... better to support one of the MANY local, non-chain steakhouses!

rmk
01-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I can't confirm weather EnCana will not honor the receipts for meals, but a group of Encanans I know went there for a team building meal and had nothing but great things to say. I have also had a steak there and loved it. Would I go back? Probably not unless someone else was paying for it.