PDA

View Full Version : First bike

3G
07-15-2003, 10:46 PM
well im looking for a bike to start riding. I don't want to buy new because I know I'll drop it for sure. so i know i won't feel as bad dropping an older bike than a new bike. What are some good bikes for learning??

Thanks

YCB
07-15-2003, 10:47 PM
just take a course, after that u should feel comfortable on like a 600 cc bike...

3G
07-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by YCB
just take a course, after that u should feel comfortable on like a 600 cc bike...

yeah. my cousin is telling me to go used, ride for a bit, then go buy new :dunno: cuz he bought a brand new Kawasaki Ninja and when he dropped it, he felt like crap

YCB
07-15-2003, 10:58 PM
yeah... used is good ... they have good deals out there.. not right now though..

i think its hard to drop a bike.. only when u go slow.. when u go normal speed its hard to drop it.. unless u wipe out or something

sml
07-17-2003, 01:42 PM
you'd won't drop it FOR SURE... but there's probably a pretty high chance that you will. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt, but prepare for the worst. I'd go used, but not too old or else you might get a lemon that might break down on you while going 100 down deerfoot and then you'll wipe out for sure... Highly recommending the CBRF3 and F4s, also zx6 and 600r... bikes to stay away from are R6 and GSXR... too many horror stories especially from the suzuki...

K271
07-17-2003, 10:11 PM
I had a friend drop his bike cause he was on a hill and this huge delivery truck was in front of him and was rolling back, he had no where to go so had to sacrifice his bike for his life.

But start with a 600 like everyone said. R6 will be too powerful. But when you shop for a bike, make sure it fits your body and you are absolutely comfortable on it. Don't get it just cause it's a Ninja or CBR. Make sure it fits. Not all bikes fit the rider the same.

94CoRd
07-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by sml
you'd won't drop it FOR SURE... but there's probably a pretty high chance that you will. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt, but prepare for the worst. I'd go used, but not too old or else you might get a lemon that might break down on you while going 100 down deerfoot and then you'll wipe out for sure... Highly recommending the CBRF3 and F4s, also zx6 and 600r... bikes to stay away from are R6 and GSXR... too many horror stories especially from the suzuki...

:eek: what horror stories.......i want to own a R6 one day :(

bol
07-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 94CoRd

:eek: what horror stories.......i want to own a R6 one day :(

I've got an R6... and it's my first bike... but it's a horrible newbie bike. They're very twitchy and can do so much more than you're capable of. It's a race-600 after all. I love the bike a lot... and will buy another... you just have to be VERY carefull. I've crashed twice...

K271
07-19-2003, 04:26 PM
R6 is designed for the track not the road. bol is right, it's not the best bike to learn how to ride on. Get something used and get comfortable on it. R6 is an expensive bike, sucks if you learn to ride on that and loose control. It's a freakin powerful bike.