PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Audi A3 2.0T vs. 2006 BMW 325i

Super_Geo
11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Edit, revised for the Quattro A3 that I found...

So I found a A3 3.2V6 Quattro for ~$28k USD w/ 11,000 miles, contacted the guy and I'm going to give it a test drive on Tuesday. I will definately be taking it to an independent mechanic to have a loook but what should I get him to look for... anything in particular, or just tell him to give it a full inspection? This is my first time buying a car and I don't want to get fleeced and have something go horribly wrong with the car that would force me to risk jail time for going apeshit on the guy who sold it to me.

I read through the RedFlagDeals website and as far as I can tell here's where I'm standing... let me know if this looks right to you guys.
- I'm not getting a loan for the purchase, so that should simplify it by a bit as far as dealing with a bank for financing while down in the States. I plan on paying with a bank draft after a price has been agreed upon.
- I need him to get me temp plates for California and every other state that I drive through on the way back. Will the dealership deal with the temp plates for other states or how should I go about that?
- It's a used car, I'll need to fax or courier the DMV title to the border crossing 3 days before arriving.
- Audi's warranty should transfer over to Canada with no problems.
- I need to get a letter from Audi stating that there are no pending re-calls on the car.
- The dealership selling the car knows I'm from Canada and didn't seem to have any issues with it... so he should be cool with waving the state tax and registration requirement, right?

2006 Audi A3
3.2L V4 w/ 6-speed DSG (manual gearbox with automatic clutch)
AWD
250hp/216lb-ft
0-60: 5.8s
Options included in the one I'm looking at:
- power heated seats
- BOSE speaker upgrade w/ Satellite Radio
- panoramic double moon roof
- Xenon headlights
- 18" Rims
- Bluetooth compatible for cell phones

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/AudiA3/Images/RightFront.jpg

2006 BMW 325i
3.0L I6
RWD
215hp/185lb-ft
0-60: 6.7s
http://www.budgetbeverlyhills.com/images/vehicles/BMW%20325I.jpg

What would you take? I'm leaning towards the Audi... they're both around $25k down in the states, but the Audi has GPS and there's not a shitload of A3s in town... plus I don't want to look like another young douchebag driving a BMW. I think the Audi's more discrete.

gpomp
11-18-2007, 10:09 AM
the a3 is just an overpriced golf, i'd take the bmw. rwd > fwd

topher91
11-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
plus I don't want to look like another young douchebag driving a BMW. I think the Audi's more discrete.

That's why you customize your ride! :)

Plus the Bimmer will out handle the A3. Not that I'm biased....

Aleks
11-18-2007, 10:58 AM
2006 Audi A3
2.0L I4 Turbo w/ 6-speed DSG (manual gearbox with automatic clutch)
FWD
200hp/207lb-ft2.0L I4
0-60: 6.2s
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/AudiA3/Images/RightFront.jpg

2006 BMW 325i
3.0L I6
RWD
215hp/185lb-ft
0-60: 6.7s
http://www.budgetbeverlyhills.com/images/vehicles/BMW%20325I.jpg

What would you take? I'm leaning towards the Audi... they're both around $25k down in the states, but the Audi has GPS and there's not a shitload of A3s in town... plus I don't want to look like another young douchebag driving a BMW. I think the Audi's more discrete.

Are you a douche? No... Drive whatever car you want. If you decide BMW is for you, get it. Who gives a shit what people out there think.
Now I have driven the 325 and have driven the GTi DSG a few times. A3 would be fairly similar. DSG is an awsome compromise between manual and auto. Audi interior also look nicer but BMW would have superior driving dynamics. Also sounds like A3 you found is fully loaded with Nav etc. My suggestion is drive both here in town before making a final decision.

C4S
11-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Diff class ... :dunno: :dunno:

Kind of like comparing a 135i and a E350 .. :dunno:

GTS Jeff
11-18-2007, 01:51 PM
http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/albums//Events/Essen%20Motorshow/2006/Audi/148.jpg

I'm very partial to the look of white A3s with the panoramic sunroof. BMW styling...can't say that's grown on me yet.

buh_buh
11-18-2007, 02:08 PM
dsg ftw

JordanLotoski
11-18-2007, 02:44 PM
bmw,, hands down..like said above its just a glorified golf. Why dont you spend a bit more and get the 335i sedan?

C4S
11-18-2007, 06:08 PM
They are diff price point too ..

06 A3 2.0 .. u can get one for under$30K .. 325i .. still in the high 30's ..

How about GTI? they look much nicer, and quicker!

bobby_lu
11-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by C4S
They are diff price point too ..

06 A3 2.0 .. u can get one for under$30K .. 325i .. still in the high 30's ..

How about GTI? they look much nicer, and quicker!

he is buying in the US...so not quite high 30's

Super_Geo
11-18-2007, 11:42 PM
So I found a A3 3.2V6 Quattro for ~$28k USD w/ 11,000 miles, contacted the guy and I'm going to give it a test drive on Tuesday. I will definately be taking it to an independent mechanic to have a loook but what should I get him to look for... anything in particular, or just tell him to give it a full inspection? This is my first time buying a car and I don't want to get fleeced and have something go horribly wrong with the car that would force me to risk jail time for going apeshit on the guy who sold it to me.

I read through the RedFlagDeals website and as far as I can tell here's where I'm standing... let me know if this looks right to you guys.
- I'm not getting a loan for the purchase, so that should simplify it by a bit as far as dealing with a bank for financing while down in the States. I plan on paying with a bank draft after a price has been agreed upon.
- I need him to get me temp plates for California and every other state that I drive through on the way back. Will the dealership deal with the temp plates for other states or how should I go about that?
- It's a used car, I'll need to fax or courier the DMV title to the border crossing 3 days before arriving.
- Audi's warranty should transfer over to Canada with no problems.
- I need to get a letter from Audi stating that there are no pending re-calls on the car.
- The dealership selling the car knows I'm from Canada and didn't seem to have any issues with it... so he should be cool with waving the state tax and registration requirement, right?

Super_Geo
11-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Are you a douche? No... Drive whatever car you want. If you decide BMW is for you, get it. Who gives a shit what people out there think.

I'm with you, but seeing young people in BMWs seem to rub other people the wrong way for some reason... the first reactions I usually hear from friends/co-wokers is:
- wtf is that supposed to be an extention of his dick? must be compensating for something
- ah, spoiled little brat with daddy's money/car
etc, etc.

I've never heard: 'Good on him for working hard and getting a nice car.'

euro_racer
11-19-2007, 12:02 AM
personally i like the styling of the audi more, expecially if it is white or red with a panoramic roof :drool: ...the bmw just dosnt do it for me for some reason, dont know why but there are very few bimmers that i actually like

gpomp
11-19-2007, 12:04 AM
just go test drive the car. there's no need to do an inspection right away, you should do that right before you buy the car.

it sounds to me like you're going to check out this one car and buy it right away if it looks ok and drives good. i hope this is not the case, i think you should go and test drive as many cars as you can.

gpomp
11-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by euro_racer
personally i like the styling of the audi more, expecially if it is white or red with a panoramic roof :drool: ...the bmw just dosnt do it for me for some reason, dont know why but there are very few bimmers that i actually like
go drive both cars and then come back and tell me which one is better. if i bought cars based on looks i'd be driving a saab 9-3 or a volvo C70.

CivicTunr
11-19-2007, 12:13 AM

I'm with you, but seeing young people in BMWs seem to rub other people the wrong way for some reason... the first reactions I usually hear from friends/co-wokers is:
- wtf is that supposed to be an extention of his dick? must be compensating for something
- ah, spoiled little brat with daddy's money/car
etc, etc.

I've never heard: 'Good on him for working hard and getting a nice car.'

it is because they are jealous. And i thought A3's came in AWD?

JordanLotoski
11-19-2007, 12:15 AM
awww i wish i was young...now i get look at that middle aged fucker in his bmw..

gpomp
11-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

it is because they are jealous. And i thought A3's came in AWD? standard on the v6. optional on the 4.

Super_Geo
11-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah I've tested an IS350 and a 2004 330Ci as other options... I didn't really get to give'r though cause it was 3pm and the roads were starting to get busy. I'm going to drop by the automall tomorrow and test drive an A3 and then a 3 series BMW right afterwards and see how that does. I'm pretty stoked to see what this DSG is like, all the reviews on it have been overwhelmingly positive.

pomp, what other cars would you suggest test driving? I'm pretty much set on the 3.2L Quattro A3... unless driving the BMW right after the Audi makes a world of difference.

JordanLotoski
11-19-2007, 12:18 AM
cough 335i cough cough

Super_Geo
11-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by topher91

That's why you customize your ride! :)

topher, nice car dude! A big step up from that old civic of yours eh? (I used see your civic drive by while I was walking the dog back in Citadel).

I like the body kit and the rims, pretty subtle but makes it flow a lot nicer. How much did the body kit set you back?

euro_racer
11-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

go drive both cars and then come back and tell me which one is better. if i bought cars based on looks i'd be driving a saab 9-3 or a volvo C70.

...i would still rather have a top of the line a3 than just a MEh bimmer :dunno:

335 or M would be a different storry

CivicTunr
11-19-2007, 12:25 AM
and that blue one is AWD, and IMO, the blue one looks nicer than that bmw.

however the new 07 3 series is pretty nice.

gpomp
11-19-2007, 12:37 AM
pomp, what other cars would you suggest test driving? I'm pretty much set on the 3.2L Quattro A3... unless driving the BMW right after the Audi makes a world of difference. there's a lot of nice cars out there. infiniti g35, acura TL, legacy GT, etc.

all the cars have their perks... the g35/37 has a lot of power, the LGT has awd, the acura is the most reliable.

that's pretty much all the cars in this class other than the mercedes c-class which you can't really import.

after driving all these cars, the choice was pretty clear which car was the best. :D but i'll let you figure that one out on your own.

blownz
11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I have recently test drove a lot of the cars you are looking at and ended up with the E90. Handling is the biggest thing imo. And German cars just seem so much more solid than japanese ones.

In the end though, in that class of car you really can't go too wrong (unless you buy a TL...).

Destinova403
11-19-2007, 11:18 AM
im more of a fan of the Bimmer than the Audi... both are very nice cars but i dont think i would get a wagon... with the possable exception of the new STI...

in that price range however, i would probably look into a G35 as well (VERY nice car) but thats just my $0.02

SuperG3
11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
AUDI A3 for sure! The proportions are sweet for the A3, like it's well rounded and fat. The bmw is too long and skinny. If you're gonna get a bmw then the 2 door imo looks better. The quattro works really well in snow and the 3.2 v6 is a real solid motor. As someone metioned, the interior of the a3 is nicer too.

Orbie
11-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Sounds like you are already on the A3 3.2. I think that's a good choice between these cars. You get AWD, DSG, V6 (not V4 as in your original post) and a pretty sharp looking car. I'm not a fan of hatchbacks at all, but I can't stand BMW interior design, in which Audi does very well. If you can get the warranty transferred as well than I think you're good to go.

Tilly
11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Just stick with the z4 and call it a day. Who needs 4 doors?! People with kids, and or pets, that's who!

Tik-Tok
11-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Sounds like you're set on the A3. It's a good choice. My friend has one (3.2L as well), the only quality trouble he's had with it so far is the leather tore apart at the seam on the passenger seat.

teggypimp95
11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I have driven both, and The audi is a no brainer for sure. In my books they dont even compare. The interior in the Audi is much much nicer also.

SilverRex
11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
i would pick the audi,

kuz its more unique and its AWD, based on your post, its quicker too, + DSG doesnt hurt

however for BMW, either go big or go home. 325 is so basic and your paying extra dollar for name really. Even though it probablly does handle better, but I'm guessing your not going to be pushing the cars to the limit otherwise you would be considering other models.

so Audi it is.

gpomp
11-20-2007, 10:29 AM
if i had $30k, i wouldn't be asking a bunch of 16 year old kids how to spend it. :rofl:

Impreza
11-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
i would pick the audi,

kuz its more unique and its AWD, based on your post, its quicker too, + DSG doesnt hurt

however for BMW, either go big or go home. 325 is so basic and your paying extra dollar for name really. Even though it probablly does handle better, but I'm guessing your not going to be pushing the cars to the limit otherwise you would be considering other models.

so Audi it is.

Couldn't agree with you more. Sure, it's a BMW, but its a base 325. I would much rather have a loaded A3 than a base BMW. I think BMW's are awesome cars, and plan to own one one day, but not until I can afford something higher up like a 335i.

A3 > 325i but 335i>>>A3

Aleks
11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Impreza

Couldn't agree with you more. Sure, it's a BMW, but its a base 325. I would much rather have a loaded A3 than a base BMW. I think BMW's are awesome cars, and plan to own one one day, but not until I can afford something higher up like a 335i.

A3 > 325i but 335i>>>A3

I understand what you mean but 325 is pretty much the same car as 335 minus all the extra HP and TQ. What else are you gaining really? So if all he cares about is HP neither A3 nor 325 should even come into play because both are pretty weak in that aspect.

blownz
11-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
however for BMW, either go big or go home. 325 is so basic and your paying extra dollar for name really.

325's aren't really basic. Going from an 08 328 to an 08 335 costs about 10 grand extra and you get a better motor and a sunroof. I'm not saying the motor isn't much better (because it is), but that is a lot of money for a better motor.

325's and 328's are still great cars.

bobby_lu
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
How about a 2006 330i? Good midpoint between the 325i and the 335i,

gpomp
11-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
How about a 2006 330i? Good midpoint between the 325i and the 335i, performance wise, yes. price wise, it's too close to the 335i

bobby_lu
11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
performance wise, yes. price wise, it's too close to the 335i

Oh I see, I figured it might be available for good value considering it was only available in 330i form for one year, in the e90 anyways.

gpomp
11-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

Oh I see, I figured it might be available for good value considering it was only available in 330i form for one year, in the e90 anyways. don't let the name fool you, the e90 330 has a completely different engine than the e46 330's. way off topic here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N52

bobby_lu
11-20-2007, 12:20 PM
don't let the name fool you, the e90 330 has a completely different engine than the e46 330's. way off topic here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N52

I know that, I was just refering to the fact that the following year there was no 330i. Anyways, back on topic.

Impreza
11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I understand what you mean but 325 is pretty much the same car as 335 minus all the extra HP and TQ. What else are you gaining really? So if all he cares about is HP neither A3 nor 325 should even come into play because both are pretty weak in that aspect.

The A3 with the 3.2 is definetly no slouch, especially when compared to the 325. The 325 isn't ridiculously unpowered or anything, but when compared to the A3 with the 3.2, NAV, Quattro, etc, it would be really difficult for me to choose the 324 over the A3. Don't get me wrong though, the 325 is a great car, just not a car for me.

The bottom line is, for me personally, I wouldn't pick up a 325 period. I would opt for the 335i because I want the extra power. That engine is amazing! I am sure owners of the 335i can attest to the great performance of the car and probably have no regret. If I didn't have the budget for a 335i, I just wouldn't buy a 325i. I just can't justify a 325i, you're paying too much for not enough. You're paying huge premiums for a "BMW". I have no problems justifying a 335i. That's just me though.

For the original poster, you really can't go wrong with either vehicle! :thumbsup: