PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding cardio

liquidboi69
11-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Sorry if this is a repost, not sure if it belonged in the "All Cardio" post but here goes.

I was just wondering what the average time should be spent on the treadmill for just the sake of increasing cardio, and trying to burn as little fat as possible.

Im a really small guy, and just got back into the gym after a year, and i want to put on some lbs and such.

Problem is I want to have the health benefits of cardio but i dont want to be burning too much calories. As for my diet, it should be fine for now, just some tweaking of some meals throughout the day because i have meds it kind of conflicts with my eating schedule.

CCM Pro
11-18-2007, 04:13 PM
First off you can achieve many of the health benefits you desire through strength training, but conditioning your heart and lungs is essential as well.

Your question kind of depends on your goals...do you play any sports? I am assuming you don't or play very little since you did not mention it so I would suggest some interval cardio training 3X week for 25-30 minutes.

e.g. 1 min@ 7mph...3 min@ 4.5 and repeat...this is just a guideline, you need to play with it some to find your proper levels...basically you want to be at a 90% effort level for the minute and then try to recover your heart rate for the 3 min then repeat.

Hope this helps...you can PM me for any additional info...I am a personal trainer and like to help others out with this stuff.