PDA

View Full Version : Lexus IS300 Inline 6 vs. Toyota Supra Inline 6

Fluidic
07-16-2003, 12:37 AM
Ok... dumb question (sorta... :P) but can someone tell me the biggest differences between the two I6 motors... the one from the newer IS300 and the one from the Supra (newest one before generation expiration).

Thanks! :)

Peter

GTS Jeff
07-16-2003, 12:59 AM
mainly that fan thing..

StrokeD z
07-16-2003, 01:00 AM
shouldnt you be compareing the 3 series bmw to the is300

GTS Jeff
07-16-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by StrokeD z
shouldnt you be compareing the 3 series bmw to the is300 hes asking about the engine man. they both use a 2jz engine, a toyota inline 6...dohc, vvti, and sometimes turbocharged.

Altezza
07-16-2003, 01:16 AM
Depends on which Supra engine you are referring to. The 2JZ-GE engines in both the IS300 and the NA Supra, in a nutshell, are pretty much identical for the exception of VVTi on the IS300. I believe the 2JZ-GE Supras did not have the VVTi until a certain model year (95? can't remember off hand). As for the 2JZ-GE vs 2JZ-GTE, there are quite a few differences - the most major and obvious being 2 turbos, lower compression, lighter weight rods. There's more, but those are pretty much the major items. The 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE engines share the same basic design.

Fluidic
07-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
Depends on which Supra engine you are referring to. The 2JZ-GE engines in both the IS300 and the NA Supra, in a nutshell, are pretty much identical for the exception of VVTi on the IS300. I believe the 2JZ-GE Supras did not have the VVTi until a certain model year (95? can't remember off hand). As for the 2JZ-GE vs 2JZ-GTE, there are quite a few differences - the most major and obvious being 2 turbos, lower compression, lighter weight rods. There's more, but those are pretty much the major items. The 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE engines share the same basic design.

That pretty much answers my question. I was originally wondering why IS300 drivers didn't turbo charge those motors as there "first" mod -- since I thought the motor was the same as the one Toyota decided to turbo charge.

Thanks gents! :)

Peter

dj_honda
07-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Ok... dumb question (sorta... :P) but can someone tell me the biggest differences between the two I6 motors... the one from the newer IS300 and the one from the Supra (newest one before generation expiration).

Thanks! :)

Peter

so you do love toyota don't you

Fluidic
07-16-2003, 12:48 PM
What? I don't really understand your question? Why are you asking me if I love Toyota? How does this relate to the above question?

Peter

Altezza
07-16-2003, 12:48 PM

That pretty much answers my question. I was originally wondering why IS300 drivers didn't turbo charge those motors as there "first" mod -- since I thought the motor was the same as the one Toyota decided to turbo charge.

The 2JZ-GE from the IS300 and the NA Supra are the same. In a basic sense, the 2JZ-GE and the twin turbo 2JZ-GTE are very similar as well. They are many IS300 owners running boost reliably on their cars (lots of shippable kits available). There are also a handful of IS300s running with the 2JZ-GTE from the TT Supra as well (RCTS for example although his engine is from the Aristo). Despite the GE and GTE engines being very similar, you can't just throw on 2 turbos and be on your way. There's enough differences between the engines to make you drop some serious cash for boost.

Fluidic
07-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
Despite the GE and GTE engines being very similar, you can't just throw on 2 turbos and be on your way.

The exact answer I was looking for! Thanks man! I owe you a coffee! :thumbsup: :)

Peter

Altezza
07-16-2003, 01:57 PM

The exact answer I was looking for! Thanks man! I owe you a coffee! :thumbsup: :)

Peter

Did you win a bet or something?? :rofl:

Fluidic
07-16-2003, 02:06 PM
LOL -- nope... simply personal satisfaction! :thumbsup: :bigpimp:

Peter