PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades to a rental?

~Leah~
11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
I've been trying to find a good answer in Landlord/Tenant Agreements and Legislation but I thought I would ask people who may have had first hand experience or know for sure. We are moving into a larger place since we just had a baby. The complex we are moving to was built in 1976 and I'm pretty sure the carpet hasn't been replaced since then because it is quite worn (you can feel how thin it is) and it is a dark brown color which probably would have been used in the 70's.

Anyway, we have friends who live in the complex and they have a newer neutral color carpet in their place which is what I was expecting, but of course on the walk through, I get this ugly dark brown surprise. We put the DD down that day because if we didn't, we'd lose the place. We called them the next day to talk about the carpet and asked about replacing it. They came back to us with the offer of paying for half and we pay for half, then if it's still in good condition when we move out, they'll reimburse us for the half that we paid. They typed up a contract and want us to sign it but I don't think we should have to pay anything since it is a rental. Do they have an obligation to replace carpet after so long and do they have any right making us pay, even if they reimburse us when we move out?

Any help on rules/regulations/legislations surrounding this would help greatly. Thanks!

Mibz
11-18-2007, 08:37 PM
From what I know (I'm only 90% on this) they have no obligation unless the carpet makes the place unlivable which, from what you've said, it doesn't. Going half and half is a pretty good deal if you plan on living there awhile. Them offering you the 1/2 back is great if you don't plan on living there awhile. I'd say it's a great deal provided you find a carpet that everybody agrees on.

EDIT: Yeah I know it's not technically that helpful. Sorry.

Weapon_R
11-18-2007, 08:47 PM
They have absolutely no obligation to replace your carpet. They are doing it as a favor to you. Sounds like a good deal to me.

CRX-R
11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
sounds like they're being very fair about it since they do not have to replace it unless, like mibz said, it's unbearable or overly stained or worn through.

~Leah~
11-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I guess I forgot to mention the carpet is peeling and is folded in some places, I actually tripped on it a couple times when we went to view it.

Thanks for the input though, sounds like I'll just suck it up and wait till I move out to get reimbursed.

analbumcover
11-19-2007, 11:31 AM
see if you can write up a contract that if you leave and the carpet is less than satisfactory you will give them half the cost?.. kind of reverse it, but their deal is pretty fair as well

sputnik
11-19-2007, 03:14 PM
This wouldn't happen to be on Memorial near Kensington would it?

A friend of mine lived in a place with ugly brown carpet that I would always trip on.

~Leah~
11-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Nopers in Braeside

Euro838
11-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Sorry to say but they are offering a good deal. Unless there are any health or serious safety issues (usually flooring is not serious unless there is mold, etc) would it be required that the landlord replace. Since you agreed to take the place, not much that the landlord HAS to do.

That's a good tactic by the landlord though. This way it won't be a total loss if the tenant trashes the carpet.

BlackArcher101
11-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Personally I would agree to the deal only if I had a clause saying my half would be reimbursed at 6 months or move out day, whichever is first. They already have a damage deposit, no need to keep that AND half the carpet cost for a long period of time.