PDA

View Full Version : S2000 Still the Best!

max_boost
07-16-2003, 02:52 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6846

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/6272003112039.jpg

5th Place Audi TT Quattro
4th Place BMW Z4 3.0
3rd Place Porsche Boxster
2nd Place Nissan 350Z Touring
1st Place Honda S2000

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/6272003113913.jpg
Highs: Sensual intensity right up there with grabbing a bare high-voltage wire, clutch and shifter as perfect together as Rogers and Astaire, cockpit fits like your favorite jeans.
Lows: Freeway cruising, and resisting the impulse to rip off nine-grand shifts in bursts of five.
The Verdict: A four-wheeler with crotch-rocket DNA.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ben
07-16-2003, 06:07 AM
basically same outcome in this months "European Car"

Redlyne_mr2
07-16-2003, 06:38 AM
Ive always loved the s2k, Im surprised the 350z convertible did as well as it did.

Voodoo Child
07-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Yo Max_Boost!

I read the same article and now I need to know for myself how it feels! You gonna give me a ride at the next 403 meet?
I'll be there forsure if you do!

Lata

Nate Dogg:thumbsup:

Woodson2
07-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Road and Track as well.

rage2
07-16-2003, 01:16 PM
They're too scared to bring in the SLK 32 AMG into the comparison... their excuse? It's a new model next year (actually 2005) so they'll wait for the new one. :)

CRXguy
07-16-2003, 02:17 PM
^^^^

Cry me a river!!! :tongue: :rofl:

Dr. Evil
07-16-2003, 03:31 PM
MY list:

1st Place Honda S2000
2nd Place Porsche Boxster
3rd Place Nissan 350Z Touring (door handles slow it down)
4th Place Audi TT Quattro
99th Place BMW Z4 3.0 (ugly)

04blackMAX
07-16-2003, 03:33 PM
cough cough, midlife crisis car cough cough

you have black racing mitts to go alone with that, max?? hahahahahahahah please dont bann me again hahaha

max_boost
07-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by rage2
They're too scared to bring in the SLK 32 AMG into the comparison... their excuse? It's a new model next year (actually 2005) so they'll wait for the new one. :) I am surprised they didn't include the SLK 320 in the test, the 32 is unfair :tongue: haha

rage2
07-16-2003, 03:44 PM
How is the 32 unfair? It costs about the same as the boxster! :).

It's only unfair cuz it kicks ass hehehe.

max_boost
07-16-2003, 03:47 PM
How is the 32 unfair? It costs about the same as the boxster! :).

It's only unfair cuz it kicks ass hehehe.

But rage, this is not the Boxster S, just your regular Boxster:D

girlRACER
07-16-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I am surprised they didn't include the SLK 320 in the test, the 32 is unfair :tongue: haha

:werd:

T5_X
07-16-2003, 04:50 PM
lol, poor audi tt, always coming in last :rofl:

Hakkola
07-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Haha, Audi TT. I hope Ben reads this, I saw the Audi TT with the Cougar Plate and the hot chick getting in at my work, she looked like she was 30 MAX though. Looks like she put aftermarket rims on it.

VWhooligan
07-18-2003, 10:09 AM
you're saying a mustang v6 can beat the s2000?

hahah a mustang v6 can't beat anything. haha

rice_eater
07-18-2003, 10:37 AM
true but he has a point...the S2000 has as much torque as a stock neon! Otherwise great cars...

GTS Jeff
07-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
true but he has a point...the S2000 has as much torque as a stock neon! Otherwise great cars... learn about torque multiplying.

Ben
07-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Haha, Audi TT. I hope Ben reads this, I saw the Audi TT with the Cougar Plate and the hot chick getting in at my work, she looked like she was 30 MAX though. Looks like she put aftermarket rims on it.

AH! My Sugarmomma!

hahahahah

Damn......:love:

tommy1223
07-18-2003, 12:21 PM
i'm surprised that the Porshe ( made for performace ) and the BMW didnt come out on top. It could also be the driver too but HONDAS ALL THE WAY!!

rage2
07-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Have you driven a base boxster? I would NOT call that a performance car :).

rice_eater
07-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
learn about torque multiplying.

ok...explain

4wheeldrift
07-18-2003, 05:51 PM
Have you driven a base boxster? I would NOT call that a performance car :). Rather underwhelming aren't they? Decent in the corners, but damn slow on the straights.

GTS Jeff
07-18-2003, 10:32 PM

ok...explain the s2000 has short gearing which allows u to keep the revs high, where power is being made, and that means that u have more torque at the wheels, so the car can still accelerate quickly..

fast95pony
07-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Bah ! My lug nuts still have more torque ! ;)

:D

Ben
07-19-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Rather underwhelming aren't they? Decent in the corners, but damn slow on the straights.

Well I know the old guy I took on deerfoot@douglasdale in my GTI was upset...my car is worth like 12 times less than his and he got walked on...pretty sad. Auto Base Boxster = Teh Suck

rice_eater
07-19-2003, 10:27 AM
the s2000 has short gearing which allows u to keep the revs high, where power is being made, and that means that u have more torque at the wheels, so the car can still accelerate quickly..

:rofl: so as long as you keep reving the shit out of it you'll be fine...just hope you dont hit any stop lights, intersections of traffic or plainly let off the throtle...like someone said here...

Horse power sells cars, torque gets you to the next light faster...

Ben
07-19-2003, 10:32 AM
S2000 is an exceptional track car because you can drive it like you stole it out there. Extremely great chassis and excellent handeling charactoristics. On the street without hard driving, its basicaly your 16 second street car.

The Porsche Boxster used to be the great mid price track car a few years ago, but since the S2000 has arrived, faster, better handling (opinionated) and LOWER cost has it in a very good spot.

4wheeldrift
07-19-2003, 10:35 AM
The Boxster S will outrun an S2000 pretty easily though. Its not the boxster chassis thats the problem, its the engines and trannys they are putting in the base models ones that make them such lackluster performers. The Boxster isn't a phenomenally fast car on the straights, even the S models, but neither is the S2000 IMO.

max_boost
07-19-2003, 01:00 PM
I don't think any of you with the exception of rage2 have driven the S2000 before. You would be so surprised how well this car manoeuvres its way around the streets. Honda's have never been known for torque and its high revving nature is what makes the car so exciting to drive.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, enthusiasts agree, it is the number one roadster for $50K :D Nuff said!!!

Zephyr
07-19-2003, 01:48 PM
MB when u gonna get the number 2 car? :rofl:

GTS Jeff
07-19-2003, 06:49 PM

:rofl: so as long as you keep reving the shit out of it you'll be fine...just hope you dont hit any stop lights, intersections of traffic or plainly let off the throtle...like someone said here...

Horse power sells cars, torque gets you to the next light faster...

yea basically, to make it go fast, u need to rev it high. but why would u need to tear around at high revs on the streets anyway? theres a track in calgary u know. and u need to learn the difference between hp and tq. hp is tq multiplied by rpm, so u can make up for lack of torque with high revs. why do u think a car with 300hp/100lb-ft will be faster than a car with 100hp/300lb-ft? do u believe that a john deere tractor with 1500 lb-ft will get you to the next lgihts faster than an s2000 with 150 lb-ft?

I don't think any of you with the exception of rage2 have driven the S2000 before. think again.

rice_eater
07-19-2003, 08:43 PM
so if you do take it to the track then you have to start from low rpms! if you use the car for the track sure it'll handle amazingly but if you want to go straight you'll be waiting a while till you get to your 9000rpm...and for quarter miles i would take the 100hp/300ft pounds car over the 300/100...the way i see it it's kinda like running...horse power is how fast you can run....torque is what gets you to that top speed...so for around the streets where you dont wanna drive like mad what would you rather have? i prefer getting off the line fast and stopping at a reasonable speed, instead of waiting and waiting till the car gets in it's power range, by when the race is over and i can do a sweet fly by...all in all good car, and if they could work a little on the engine it would trully be an awesome machine...

Ben
07-19-2003, 08:50 PM
If you look at F1 Cars, huge HP, low torque...

The S2000 is a great track car, but yes, for daily driving, my VW has roughly the same torque as a S2K. With that being said, its all going to come down to driving technique, keeping the car in the power band, and thats that.

Redlyne_mr2
07-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Ben
its all going to come down to driving technique, keeping the car in the power band, and thats that.
Exactly, watch an Option/Best motoring s2k vid sometime, the drivers downshift at crazy high rpms to keep the car in the power band, goes the same for a type r, NSX, hell any other honda

max_boost
07-19-2003, 09:02 PM
so if you do take it to the track then you have to start from low rpms! if you use the car for the track sure it'll handle amazingly but if you want to go straight you'll be waiting a while till you get to your 9000rpm...and for quarter miles i would take the 100hp/300ft pounds car over the 300/100...the way i see it it's kinda like running...horse power is how fast you can run....torque is what gets you to that top speed...so for around the streets where you dont wanna drive like mad what would you rather have? i prefer getting off the line fast and stopping at a reasonable speed, instead of waiting and waiting till the car gets in it's power range, by when the race is over and i can do a sweet fly by...all in all good car, and if they could work a little on the engine it would trully be an awesome machine...

Suffeks with his 100hp 200llbs ft + torque TDI ran 17secs whereas a fellow S2K with his measly 200hp 100llbs ft torque ran 14.8. Just so you know, the 9000RPM is not an eternity. You guys make it sound like the S2K can't hold its own in a straight line or something. My buddy CRXguy who is locally recognized as so called 'madd skillz' got beat by me with no skills S2K vs. WRX, stock for stock.

max_boost
07-19-2003, 09:04 PM
And again, opinions are just that, you guys have your own. But I'll repeat it one more time, editors, enthusiasts, car mags, whoever, agree on one thing, S2K is still the best hahahaha (except you torque lovers):poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

Ok I rest my case :D:poosie:

CRXguy
07-19-2003, 09:42 PM

Suffeks with his 100hp 200llbs ft + torque TDI ran 17secs whereas a fellow S2K with his measly 200hp 100llbs ft torque ran 14.8. Just so you know, the 9000RPM is not an eternity. You guys make it sound like the S2K can't hold its own in a straight line or something. My buddy CRXguy who is locally recognized as so called 'madd skillz' got beat by me with no skills S2K vs. WRX, stock for stock.

I bogged on the launch. Spyderman is my witness. :rofl:

I'll give my own opinion when MB let's me bag, I mean drive his car. :thumbsup:

rage2
07-20-2003, 12:44 AM
so if you do take it to the track then you have to start from low rpms! if you use the car for the track sure it'll handle amazingly but if you want to go straight you'll be waiting a while till you get to your 9000rpm...
haha it's 1st gear man, it doesn't take THAT long, even with minimal TQ, to get up to redline in 1st in a S2000.

and for quarter miles i would take the 100hp/300ft pounds car over the 300/100...

And the 100hp car would lose to the 300hp car with low TQ, assuming weight is the same. Did you know an F1 car makes only 200ft/lbs of TQ? Yet it'll do 8's down the 1/4 mile on relaxed gearing (good for 220mph)...

the way i see it it's kinda like running...horse power is how fast you can run....torque is what gets you to that top speed...
You see wrong, sorry.

Check out these interesting posts I've made a while back...

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=18133#post18133

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=17976#post17976

rage2
07-20-2003, 12:46 AM
But rage, this is not the Boxster S, just your regular Boxster:D
With their 3 options on the base boxster, it added up to the price of an SLK 32 :).

CRXguy
07-20-2003, 12:47 AM
i thought torque is what GETS you going, and horsepower is what KEEPS you going?????? :confused:

Ben
07-20-2003, 12:52 AM
Driver skill has alot to do with it too...look at you in your CRX...low torque, but launch like a bastard! Having an approprate power band , gearing and keeping it in that range and the car will run optimal.

Once you are moving, and shifting properly, your always in the go zone...where torque and hp are working together for an optimum amount of time. Fall out of that zone and well, yeah, it takes some time and effort to get back into it.

rage2
07-20-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
i thought torque is what GETS you going, and horsepower is what KEEPS you going?????? :confused:
That's the marketing way of putting it... I got a really REALLY good URL describing this stuff... trying to find it :).

rage2
07-20-2003, 12:59 AM
Alright, for those who think TQ gets you going, HP keeps it going, TQ wins street races, whatever... you have to understand what TQ is and what HP is.

http://ubermensch.org/Cars/Technical/hp-tq

Very nice explaination with examples (NSX vs 968) and why/how a lower TQ car with more HP can beat a high TQ car and lower HP in an all out drag race where TQ is supposed to be king. Here's a hint... TQ is king, but with better gearing on lower TQ cars over a wider RPM range (high RPM == HP) there's actually more TQ going to the ground :).

CRXguy
07-20-2003, 01:05 AM
holy shit!! i haven't read that much since high school. :rofl:

definately a good read. :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
07-20-2003, 01:45 AM
so if you do take it to the track then you have to start from low rpms! if you use the car for the track sure it'll handle amazingly but if you want to go straight you'll be waiting a while till you get to your 9000rpm...and for quarter miles i would take the 100hp/300ft pounds car over the 300/100...the way i see it it's kinda like running...horse power is how fast you can run....torque is what gets you to that top speed...so for around the streets where you dont wanna drive like mad what would you rather have? i prefer getting off the line fast and stopping at a reasonable speed, instead of waiting and waiting till the car gets in it's power range, by when the race is over and i can do a sweet fly by...all in all good car, and if they could work a little on the engine it would trully be an awesome machine... actually u dont need to start from low rpms at all because of a thing called launching. and the s2k redlines before 9000rpm, u goon.

max_boost
07-20-2003, 01:49 AM

With their 3 options on the base boxster, it added up to the price of an SLK 32 :). But the base boxster still has the base motor! I've driven with Kenny, it's no fun, he just takes off like I am standing still:rofl:

CRXguy
07-20-2003, 01:52 AM
I've driven with Kenny, it's no fun, he just takes off like I am standing still:rofl:

I've driven with rage, it's no fun, he just takes off like I am standing still. :rofl:

rage2
07-20-2003, 03:37 AM
I've driven with both of you, it's no fun. I take off on you guys like you're standing still. :rofl:

syeve
07-20-2003, 11:32 AM

DUDE!!!!...you have to be kidding me...is any of the sinking in??? I think that you believe what you want to believe and have no intention of listening to anybody else...most of whom know a shit load more about cars than you...if you chose not to listen, then I emplore you to watch an F1 race and see if their 200foot/lbs of tourque slow them down...you go ahead and chose a 100 hp car over a 300 hp car and see what happens...its called tractor pulling!!! when you are racing someone...where do you shift? redline? just before? as soon as you engage the next gear...where are you rpms then? 2k? NO...

:thumbsdow

rice_eater
07-20-2003, 12:02 PM
:zzz:

rage2
07-20-2003, 12:28 PM
haha great to know you're willing to learn from your mistakes :).

GTS Jeff
07-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by syeve

DUDE!!!!...you have to be kidding me...is any of the sinking in??? I think that you believe what you want to believe and have no intention of listening to anybody else...most of whom know a shit load more about cars than you...if you chose not to listen, then I emplore you to watch an F1 race and see if their 200foot/lbs of tourque slow them down...you go ahead and chose a 100 hp car over a 300 hp car and see what happens...its called tractor pulling!!! when you are racing someone...where do you shift? redline? just before? as soon as you engage the next gear...where are you rpms then? 2k? NO...

:thumbsdow

owned!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

syeve
07-20-2003, 07:38 PM

meh...neon drivers...:rofl:

rice_eater
07-21-2003, 01:18 AM
now that i tripple layerd my flame suit i'm gonna say that you can keep dreaming that the s2000 is anywhere close to an F1 car. The F1 cars weigh so little they dont need much torque to get them going. The reason the engine is tuned for peak horse power is coz all those cars do once they get going is drive like mad. You can tune the engine for peak hp or torquey bottom end. The best for every day use would probably be a balance of the two...but in ads you only hear about hp therefor the s2000 is a beast! Now flame away, the fire truck is on it's way....

max_boost
07-21-2003, 01:41 AM
now that i tripple layerd my flame suit i'm gonna say that you can keep dreaming that the s2000 is anywhere close to an F1 car. The F1 cars weigh so little they dont need much torque to get them going. The reason the engine is tuned for peak horse power is coz all those cars do once they get going is drive like mad. You can tune the engine for peak hp or torquey bottom end. The best for every day use would probably be a balance of the two...but in ads you only hear about hp therefor the s2000 is a beast! Now flame away, the fire truck is on it's way.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And you forgot to add, it is a beast because Honda has paid millions to editors worldwide for this elusive title

SilverStreak
07-21-2003, 08:20 AM
now that i tripple layerd my flame suit i'm gonna say that you can keep dreaming that the s2000 is anywhere close to an F1 car. The F1 cars weigh so little they dont need much torque to get them going. The reason the engine is tuned for peak horse power is coz all those cars do once they get going is drive like mad. You can tune the engine for peak hp or torquey bottom end. The best for every day use would probably be a balance of the two...but in ads you only hear about hp therefor the s2000 is a beast! Now flame away, the fire truck is on it's way....

You forget f1 cars turn 19000+ rpm. Also, nobody claimed the S2000 to be the best everyday car or daily driver. It is a purpose built track/canyon carving roadster. If you want torque go get yourself a Mustang GT or something. Oh wait, the S2000 can still beat a Mustang GT in a drag race, wow look what 153lbs of tq can do. Hopefully you've been educated as to how hp and torque and engine rpm work.

Dirty_SOHC
07-21-2003, 09:10 AM
Bah my civic has more torque:rofl:

GTS Jeff
07-21-2003, 09:55 AM
now that i tripple layerd my flame suit i'm gonna say that you can keep dreaming that the s2000 is anywhere close to an F1 car. The F1 cars weigh so little they dont need much torque to get them going. The reason the engine is tuned for peak horse power is coz all those cars do once they get going is drive like mad. You can tune the engine for peak hp or torquey bottom end. The best for every day use would probably be a balance of the two...but in ads you only hear about hp therefor the s2000 is a beast! Now flame away, the fire truck is on it's way.... actually, u would have a hard time finding another 2.0L gas engine that puts out over 150 lb-ft..

CRXguy
07-21-2003, 02:23 PM
actually, u would have a hard time finding another 2.0L gas engine that puts out over 150 lb-ft..

<---------- :confused: :rofl:

Ebbsvette
07-21-2003, 02:33 PM
haha...well...this is why we invented muscle cars.....lots of hp and crazy tq....gotta love us muscle heads...hehe....now all we gotta do is get this weight thing down...hahaha

Dirty_SOHC
07-21-2003, 02:34 PM
actually, u would have a hard time finding another 2.0L gas engine that puts out over 150 lb-ft..
<----------------:confused: :rofl:

1.6L sohc

Ben
07-21-2003, 02:41 PM
those are boosted motors, haha

sml
07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

&lt;---------- :confused: :rofl:

I think he meant N/A 2L engines... :rofl:

max_boost
07-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by sml

I think he meant N/A 2L engines... :rofl: Only reason why those two posted is because they both smoked a S2K in a closed circuit sprint:confused: :rofl:

CRXguy
07-21-2003, 03:36 PM
LOL

Still waiting for a top end run!!! ;) :rofl:

boi-alien
07-21-2003, 04:31 PM
from my numbers on dyno day, i'd have to say i'm making about that much tq.... in a 1.8L :D

GTS Jeff
07-21-2003, 09:32 PM
FAGS!