PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth $5000?

walperstyle
11-19-2007, 12:17 AM
I found a high milage Zenki S14 for $5000. Unfortunatly it has BC plates on it, the overdrive on the automatic doesnt work, one fog light is smashed, the windshield is cracked, and all 4 tires are bald (at least he wasnt drifting it)

Basically, I have to buy the car, fix most that stuff (maybe not the overdrive button), just to get it driveable in Alberta.

note: I found some kouki parts LSD, cosmetic ect, and I have another engine with 5 speed handy.

should I go for it?

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-19-2007, 12:21 AM
what year/km's?

What shape is the body in? Chassis? Paint? Interior?

walperstyle
11-19-2007, 12:25 AM
1995, Paint is really good. There is about an inch of rust under the door, however, I've worked with 3 s13's before, and can easily repair this by welding and bondo, then paint and sideskirt.

KMS = 250k-ish i think. 2nd engine i have has like 150... i think. Hard to keep track of all my nissan stuff.

Interior is alright too. Leather seats, all good, and its 5 lug too! :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-19-2007, 12:27 AM
If your up for the project work. I would go for it. That's what it's going to be though. A project car, right?

SR240SX
11-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Thats probly pretty reasonable..i havent seen the car but zenki's do go for about that..and inch of rust is nothing and do you really need over-drive? lol..also on the bright side..if your able to do the labour yyourself..if the engine goes you have a spare:thumbsup:

walperstyle
11-19-2007, 12:30 AM
well the stuff that needs to be fixed can be done right away, and easy.

As for the rust, its not enough to fail it through inspection. Chassis is also good. Was listed as a rebuild, minor hit on passenger side.

The nice thing of this car is that it doesnt track. aka, the alignment is dead on. (going by feel compared to others I have driven).

Honnestly, I think I can pull off a kouki conversion and those repairs in about a months time for maybe a grand total cost of $7000 (i sourced parts already)

Its probably the 'keeper' type of car I think.

Originally posted by SR240SX
Thats probly pretty reasonable..i havent seen the car but zenki's do go for about that..and inch of rust is nothing and do you really need over-drive? lol..also on the bright side..if your able to do the labour yyourself..if the engine goes you have a spare:thumbsup:

I actually think I inquired about buying your car, but your car is still down due to head gasket right?

SR240SX
11-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Yep you did..and no the car runs great since the headgasket..checked compression a week later and is 145 across all 4 (155 is factory) i guess i should change that its being done on my FS add thanks haha

walperstyle
11-19-2007, 12:47 AM
yeah as long as its even (or really close) +/- 12 or so isnt a biggy.

walperstyle
11-19-2007, 12:58 AM
question

being i cant post in marketplace yet (noobie, on this forum anyway)

I need:
S14 Windshield 1995-1998
S14 fog light(s)

I want:
Kouki Passenger fender
Kouki Hood
Kouki Passenger headlight

Team_Mclaren
11-19-2007, 02:12 AM
hmm.. question should be, what is it worth to you. Personally, with all that work, i rather spend a bit more and a one in better condition without all that hassle.

rc2002
11-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't pay more than $3k for a car like that. 200+ km is a lot of mileage even when well taken care of. And as for driving, automatic S14 = :thumbsdow

analbumcover
11-19-2007, 10:16 AM
$5000 and it has rebuilt status?

ide see if you can haggle on the price homie...

finboy
11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I wouldn't pay more than $3k for a car like that. 200+ km is a lot of mileage even when well taken care of. And as for driving, automatic S14 = :thumbsdow

:werd:

save up a couple grand more and get a nice clean one that doesn't have as many issues. i've bought pos cars to try and save money, believe me, it just ends up costing more in the end.

edit:

also, good rule of thumb, if you think it will only cost $2000 for repairs, budget for $4000, and a few months. you will be surprised how much closer it will be to your high estimate, as "project" cars almost never go togeather smoothly.

walperstyle
11-19-2007, 02:35 PM
^ lol i hear you on the cost of repairs

edit: i did want to stress that the 'rebuilt' issue is already fixed, and fixed good. Car is mint minus the first post issues.

and

Fender, headlight, hood doesnt need to be replaced, I am just asking if anyone has the kouki version.

Weapon_R
11-19-2007, 03:06 PM
It doesn't matter if its a rebuilt - the value of a salvage/repaired status vehicle is MUCH lower than one with active status.

The automatic is going to further hurt your resale value if you dont swap it. But then again, why not pay about the same amount and get a 5spd in better mechanical shape.

The rust and mechanical problems are the icing on the cake. 5k can get you a relatively nice car. Save your money and buy something different, and leave cars like the one you described above for places like pick n' pull.

I know these cars command a premium, but a rusty auto with a fair share of mechanical problems isn't something you'd want to get stuck with.

Eclipse_Spyder
11-19-2007, 03:45 PM
i'd say offer the guy nothing more than 4 grand

funkedelic
11-19-2007, 05:13 PM
since its from BC you have to have an out of province inspection on your car. As far as you know, those are the only problems with the car, but oop isnpections are pretty in depth and on an older car like that you could have tons of issues and then be stuck with a car you can't legally drive in the province.

I would say, buy in alberta and find something that doesn't have quite as many issues.

I also agree with the car not being very fun to drive, s14 auto :thumbsdow

walperstyle
11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
everyone keeps saying 'bla bla automatic'

did any of you read I already have another engine and 5 speed? lol :dunno:

THanks for all those that responded with Kouki parts though.

ga16i
11-19-2007, 05:57 PM
The beyond.ca rule is to offer half of what people ask for, so offer $2500.

walperstyle
11-19-2007, 06:35 PM
LOL!