PDA

View Full Version : B8 Audi S4

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Click on the car for the rest of the story: http://www.audiworld.com/

Summary:

twin turbo 3.0L V6
"very low 5's" 0-60 time
Looks similar to a BMW 335, and appears to be direct competition to the BMW 335.

We have confirmed with inside sources that the B8 S4 will debut with a brand new 3.0-liter TFSI bi-turbo producing 330-hp. With this powerplant Audi can nearly match the B7's 340-hp output while providing even better performance figures. Manufacturer published (conservative) 0-60mph drops from 5.4 seconds to very low 5's, while the accompanying combined fuel economy rises from 17 mpg to over 20 mpg.

More importantly, at least from the enthusiast point of view, a return to bi-turbos means that modifying the B8 S4 to enhance its stock performance capabilities will be a more historically straightforward (and less expensive) endeavor. And lest we forget the all important marketing perspective, the 3.0-liter bi-turbo will also best a similar offering in BMW's 335i which weighs in at only 300-hp.

Delivering power to the ground reveals the other technological breakthrough which will debut on the new S4. It is given that it will employ Audi's revered quattro all-wheel drive, however it will not be just the active sport differential system which is centered around distribution of torque on the rear axle.

The B8 S4 will instead mark the debut of Audi's vectoring quattro system which will allow the dynamic allocation of torque to all four wheels. Audi's already improved driving dynamics thanks to its recent rearward bias will improve even further as the S4 gets the most neutral driving characteristics ever found in a performance sedan.

Timing remains a wildcard for the B8 S4. It is slated to go on sale in the States alongside the B8 A4 in fall 2008, meaning it will have to debut early next year. We put our money on a Big Apple debut at the New York Auto Show in April. In the mean time we have put together two brand new renders of the B8 S4 to help enthusiasts pass the time waiting.

gpomp
11-19-2007, 10:54 AM
335 performance,
m3 price.
okay...

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
335 performance,
m3 price.
okay...

Where did you see the price?

gpomp
11-19-2007, 11:11 AM
the B7 S4 is $70k CAD.

the 335 starts $50k here which is the same price as the A4 3.2. the 335 is around ~$400 more.

usually new cars cost more than the ones they replace so the S4 will be more than $70k. but i guess there's that small chance that audi decides to knock off $20k from the S4 and price it where the 335 is, i dunno.

Xtrema
11-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Sounds like some type of SH-AWD as well and not as ugly as BMW 335xi sedan. Sweet.

But I don't think it'll priced like a 335 as S5 is historically going against AMG and M variant.

Unless Audi is lowering S to top of the line and use RS as the AMG/M fighter.

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Damn that's not so good. Historically, S4's don't have many options and come fully loaded, so you can't really compare that to a base model 335i except strictly in the performance category. I believe you can pay close to $70K for a loaded 335xi w/nav, so that's not so bad but there will likely still be a price difference. There is no question the 335i is a winner.

ScottysZ
11-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Unless Audi is lowering S to top of the line and use RS as the AMG/M fighter.

Id guess thats the plan now, as M and AMG are jumping in power so quickly its impossible for audi to use the S line to compete with those and still have the RS line be above that.:dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ScottysZ

Id guess thats the plan now, as M and AMG are jumping in power so quickly its impossible for audi to use the S line to compete with those and still have the RS line be above that.:dunno:

The new RS6 will have a twin turbo V10 and make 571HP but it's not coming to North America as of yet. :cry:

ScottysZ
11-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

The new RS6 will have a twin turbo V10 and make 571HP but it's not coming to North America as of yet. :cry:

Ya, saw that, but thats what I mean, the RS should be enough to compete/top the offerings from BMW and Merc, but the regular old S6 isnt in the same league anymore.

...TT V10:drool: