PDA

View Full Version : Illegal u-turn ticket / success in dealing with J.O.P.

GITRDUN
11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Hey... I recently got a ticket for making an illegal u-turn. I didn't know that in Alberta, you cannot make a "u-wie" at an intersection controlled by lights... sure wasn't like that in Ontario. Anyhow, my fault, should have known, shouldn't have done it.

My concern is that I've had a blemish-free driving record for quite a while now, and I'd rather not lose my 10% "performance discount" that my insurance is currently giving me, which they confirmed that I will, if convicted.

I am contemplating:

1. Pleading not guilty - hoping to work out a deal w/ the Crown to have the ticket reduced to a by-law infraction.
2. Having Pointts take care of this for me.
3. Going to see a Justice of the Peace, also hoping to have the ticket reduced to a by-law infraction or less.

What are your experiences with option #3?

Thanks in advance!

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-19-2007, 01:02 PM
To the insurance company, a ticket is a ticket. And with the no registered owners deal, you can't have it reduced that much anymore anyways. Best way is to fight it completely in court, or hiring points.

Crymson
11-19-2007, 01:14 PM
EDIT I'M WRONG!

l/l/rX
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
U turns are not allowed at any intersections in ab, controlled or ucontrolled. If you're going to pull a u-ball you ahve to do it in the middle of the block.

whew i now definitely know that for next time!

the only time i pull u turns though are when i have a delay left. shiiiiiiiiiiiit now i know not to pull u balls ever again. lol thanks!

alloroc
11-19-2007, 01:47 PM
U turns are not allowed at any intersections in ab, controlled or ucontrolled. If you're going to pull a u-ball you ahve to do it in the middle of the block.

How did you get your licence?

1) You cannot make a u-turn between intersections in the middle of the block.
2) You can make a u-turn in an uncontrolled intersection.
To make the turn in what is considered "in safety"you should stop at the apex the two corners you cross while making the 180.

See the traffic safety act except below.

92(1) A driver of a vehicle shall not turn that vehicle so as to
proceed in the opposite direction unless that driver can do so in
safety and without interfering with other traffic.
(2) A driver of a vehicle shall not turn that vehicle so as to proceed
in the opposite direction
(a) on a curve, or
(b) on the approach to or near the crest of a grade
where that vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle
approaching from either direction within 150 metres.
(3) In an urban area a driver of a vehicle shall not turn that vehicle
so as to proceed in the opposite direction
(a) on a roadway between intersections,
(b) at a place where a sign prohibits making a U-turn,
(c) at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal,
(d) at an alley intersection, or
(e) at any other intersection unless the movement can be
made in safety.
(4) The turns referred to in this section include what are commonly
known as "U-turns".
RSA 1980 cH-7 s92
U-turns by school bus
93(1) The driver of a school bus shall not make a U-turn on any
highway other than a 4-lane divided highway.
(2) The driver of a school bus shall not make a U-turn on a 4-lane
divided highway if the total length of the school bus exceeds the
shortest distance separating the traffic lanes for traffic proceeding
in one direction from the traffic lanes for traffic proceeding in the
opposite direction.
(3) The driver of a school bus making a U-turn on a 4-lane divided
highway shall, before completing the turn, bring the school bus to a
stop on the cross-road across the median so that no part of the bus
projects over the traffic lanes on either side of the centre strip of the
divided highway.
RSA 1980 cH-7 s93

Crymson
11-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Hrm, weird. I was a defensive driving course last year, and that totally contradicts what i was told. I was told you HAVE to make the turns on a roadway between intersetions.

I guess i'm wrong and the only place you CAN turn, is at an uncontrolled intersection.

Sorry for the incorrect info!

Hakkola
11-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Hrm, weird. I was a defensive driving course last year, and that totally contradicts what i was told. I was told you HAVE to make the turns on a roadway between intersetions.

NOPE. Nobody seems to know the law. WHen there is traffic southbound crowchild to glenmore I go straight into the area just south, there are 3 no u-turn signs, people either turn into the strip mall or turn down one street and go a couple blocks and turn. I just go one more block and pull a turn at the uncontrolled intersection that has no signage.

Seems like 99% of people don't know u-turn rules.

Stopthat
11-19-2007, 02:03 PM
^^^ correct

GITRDUN
11-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Well I see that I've sparked a debate about u-turn rules, however this doesn't answer my question!

Do any of you have any experience in dealing with a J.O.P. regarding traffic offences? My goal is to go in and plead this down to bylaw ticket, which won't affect insurance.

Thanks!

Akagi Redsuns
11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by GITRDUN
Well I see that I've sparked a debate about u-turn rules, however this doesn't answer my question!

Do any of you have any experience in dealing with a J.O.P. regarding traffic offences? My goal is to go in and plead this down to bylaw ticket, which won't affect insurance.

Thanks!

This is not going to happen.

In the past (2+ years ago) you could bargain down to a Registered Owner ticket via the Crown prosecutor which carries no demerits or convictions, but that has been changed. Even bargaining down to no demerits but a conviction might raise insurance rates as apparently they look at convictions now. I had a ticket recently (yeah speeding) and all I was able to get was 1 demerit off to get down to the minimum for the offense (apparently they can't go 0 demerits anymore) and half the fine. To get any more deductions and I have to fight it in court, which I have a hard time doing since I was guilty and actually speeding (stupid 70 to 50 transition zone).

POINTTS or any other traffic lawyer would seem to be the best chance in getting out of the ticket, but at a significant cost (relative to the ticket).

whiskas
11-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I was pulled over by a cop doing a u turn at an uncontrolled intersection. It was a 4 way intersection, 2 sides had stop signs, and the other sides (that I was driving on) had none. There was also a curb separating the two lanes.

He was about to give me a ticket but the wheelchair lady ran him over.

Destinova403
11-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

how fast was she going? i wasnt sure her chair was fast enough for that. :rofl: :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

how fast was she going? i wasnt sure her chair was fast enough for that. :rofl: :rofl:

Doesn't matter how fast your going when you weigh that much.

SNAATCH
11-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
I was pulled over by a cop doing a u turn at an uncontrolled intersection. It was a 4 way intersection, 2 sides had stop signs, and the other sides (that I was driving on) had none. There was also a curb separating the two lanes.

An intersection with stop signs is a controlled intersection.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
To the insurance company, a ticket is a ticket. And with the no registered owners deal, you can't have it reduced that much anymore anyways. Best way is to fight it completely in court, or hiring points.

Originally posted by GITRDUN

Thanks!

Read my first post.

whiskas
11-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by SNAATCH

An intersection with stop signs is a controlled intersection.

Even if there are no signs in the direction you are going or turning into?

GITRDUN
11-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Read my first post.

What happened to "registered owner" tickets? I imagine they are no longer given out? Since when, and why?