PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on my mr2

avow
11-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Hey guys. I am having a bit of a situation with my mr2 and was looking for some advice as to what I should do with it in the spring. Ok so it is a 1991 turbo from japan with 170,000km on it. The transmission was grinding into second gear when i bought it and i accepted that when i bought it. As well the turbo is starting to spit a bit of oil and because of that (i am assuming) that it is burning a bit of oil.

Now I wasnt able to test the compression of the engine before I put it away for the winter but I am assuming that the cost of doing the turbo and the tranny would be up there with just buying a used engine and having it put in. And while I am at it I guess i might as well do the clutch seeing as I am starting to get vibrations in it.

Anyways, anyone have any advice as to what course of action I should follow, what i should be looking at for prices and where I should go? I am not 100% handy with this sort of thing. Thanks a ton guys :D

TE4MFaint
11-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Perfect excuse to swap to a Gen3 engine ;)

avow
11-19-2007, 04:11 PM
lol i dont know, mod support is much better for the gen two and parts are much more easy to find. not to mention the entire engine is a lot cheaper if you go with a gen 2. plus i basically would have to get a shop to do all the work either way because i suck at this shit so money becomes a much bigger factor then.

A790
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by avow
lol i dont know, mod support is much better for the gen two and parts are much more easy to find. not to mention the entire engine is a lot cheaper if you go with a gen 2. plus i basically would have to get a shop to do all the work either way because i suck at this shit so money becomes a much bigger factor then.
I haven't had problems finding parts for the gen 3 engine. The engine itself is supposed to be more reliable anyway (relocated oil filter location, etc.). If you're going to replace the entire bloody engine, why not?

TE4MFaint
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by A790

I haven't had problems finding parts for the gen 3 engine. The engine itself is supposed to be more reliable anyway (relocated oil filter location, etc.). If you're going to replace the entire bloody engine, why not?

Word.
Gen 3 MR2's come with the C20 like the ST205's correct?
You'll love your turbo so much more.
And your car.

If the day ever came for my Gt-Four that I needed an engine
replacement, I'd just go Gen3. Its worth the money.

avow
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
ok ok, fair enough. so where would be the best place to source a gen 3 and get it put in? and how about the mods i already have on my car (cai, bov) are they easy to swap over to a gen 3? thanks for the help so far.

clem24
11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Man rebuilding and putting in a used engine is totally not the same. Rebuilding makes it like new (ok well, you know what I mean, but when it's apart, then it's a good time to put in fortified internals). Used engine = used engine. Who's to say it won't blow up in 2 months and burn oil? Same goes for the tranny. Plus you'll need someone that knows what they're doing to port a GenIII into your car.

Personally, I would just rebuild, fortify, and build up. Can probably beat the pants off a 3rd gen for the same price if not slightly more. 3rd gens are in demand and are not necessarily cheap. Shove in some updated synchros... Definitely in the plans if I don't end up selling my car. :D

avow
11-19-2007, 06:57 PM
that would be my exact other thought. only thing is i suck at cars and could barely get my steering wheel back on. so where should i go? and what should i be looking at as a cost.

A790
11-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by avow
that would be my exact other thought. only thing is i suck at cars and could barely get my steering wheel back on. so where should i go? and what should i be looking at as a cost.
Call up JDMSource and ask. I know they refer people to a shop that I hear is pretty good. As far as pricing, if you go through JDM source you may be able to negotiate some kind of deal.

A790
11-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint

Word.
Gen 3 MR2's come with the C20 like the ST205's correct?
You'll love your turbo so much more.
And your car.

If the day ever came for my Gt-Four that I needed an engine
replacement, I'd just go Gen3. Its worth the money.
C20B :D

I love the engine personally, thouhg I am in the process of changing the turbo setup out for something a bit larger.

avow
11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
ok i will give jdm source a call tomorrow and see what they have to say. the other option i was thinking is finding out how much it would be to fix all of what is already there (no idea where i would go to even start that) and then stick this bad boy on it http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_54&products_id=130 but i dont know i am so confused.

TE4MFaint
11-19-2007, 07:46 PM

C20B :D

I love the engine personally, thouhg I am in the process of changing the turbo setup out for something a bit larger.

Oh yahhh thats right.

How many kms are on your C20B?
Interested in selling?
Would make a nice little upgrade for my Gt-Four:)

Pm me if you wish!

heavyD
11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I've seen some used Gen III engines on ebay and some of them look like they've been through hell and back. You roll the dice with a used engine. There's no guarantee that it will be in much better shape than the engine coming out. On the other hand a rebuilt engine is only as good as the quality of the builder. Do your homework and choose wisely and ensure that you will have enough money to see it through.

thinmyster
11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I would rebuild your engine if it were me

avow
11-19-2007, 09:04 PM
ok so seeing how i am not a mechanic at all what would be the best way to go about rebuilding my engine?

mr2mike
11-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Order one from ATS.

Send them your core. Make sure everything is stripped off it. I mean everything.

Or you could try to find a place locally to rebuild, but personally, I checked and the guys in the states can do it for a very similar price and they've done an MR2 engine before. They also have the torque plate needed to properly hone/bore the block.

clem24
11-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Try calling Silverstone in Edmonton... That nutcase. I don't remember his name now. He'll probably yell at you first and tell you how stupid you are (not joking).

avow
11-20-2007, 01:35 PM
silverstone. is that a rebuild place? i dont care about being yelled at as long as they do a good job lol.

clem24
11-21-2007, 12:23 PM
It's a shop. I think it's called Silverstone Motorsports or something. He usually has some crazy ass cars in his garage and makes fun of the kids that do stupid things to it.

avow
11-21-2007, 03:48 PM
thanks for all the advice guys. I think i got it all figured out what i am going to do. I called up jdmsource like A790 recommended and they gave me the name of this guy Orlando who would install the engine (which costs $1600 at jdmsource) for $1000. Thats not too bad at all so i think that is the way I am going to go in the early spring. :D Thanks again.

A790
11-21-2007, 04:13 PM
$2,600 for a Gen3 and install????? fucking awesome!

TE4MFaint
11-21-2007, 05:32 PM
$2,600 for a Gen3 and install????? fucking awesome!

Holy shit.
I wonder if thats the same price for a Gen3 for the Celica (ST205).
If so...I'd be ALL over that!

stevo 27
11-21-2007, 06:08 PM
ahaha if your going to orlando say hi i live down the street

yea orlando's pretty good with toyota's hes got or had a twin charged ae86 ive seen a few nice cars being worked on at his place :thumbsup:

avow
11-21-2007, 08:05 PM
not a gen 3. just a gen two and then i will but a t3 turbo on it at some point. thats like the cost alone for a gen 3 i would think.

and yes orlando seems like a really good guy. i will almost certainly be using him.

red99600
11-22-2007, 09:20 PM
sell it before its too late!, or else u'll be stuck with it forever

avow
11-22-2007, 09:41 PM
hu?

CelicaST-162
11-22-2007, 11:53 PM
For the record, it's CT20B :D