PDA

View Full Version : The Beyond 2008 F1 Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

iceburns288
11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
I took ryanallan's suggestion and went ahead with the new '08 season thread as testing is starting. Here is the schedule for the 2008 season:

Australian GP (Melbourne)
Malaysian GP (Kuala Lumpur)
Bahrain GP (Bahrain)
Spanish GP (Catalunya)
Turkish GP (Istanbul)
Monaco GP (Monte Carlo)
Canadian GP (Montreal)
French GP (Magny-Cours)
British GP (Silverstone)
German GP (Hockenheim)
Hungarian GP (Budapest)
European GP (Valencia)
Belgian GP (Spa-Francorchamps)
Italian GP (Monza)
Singapore GP (Singapore)
Japanese GP (Fuji)
Chinese GP (Shanghai)
Brazilian GP (Sao Paulo)

Notice the return of Magny-Cours and Silverstone, the moving of the European and German GPs to Valencia and Hockenheim, and the addition of the Singapore GP.

ryanallan
11-19-2007, 10:43 PM
So are all these dates confirmed ?

Man this year is really going to be interesting with the new "GAY" spec ecu, and no traction controll. Winter testing will be especally inerestiing as we will who the good drivers really are.

go Vettel / M.S !

seer_claw
11-19-2007, 10:50 PM
The Chinese GP should be interesting this year as they plan to run it at night. I was reading that they are thinking of installing lights on the cars. It should be interesting to see what will happen along those lines.

Team_Mclaren
11-19-2007, 10:55 PM
^^ its Singapore that they're going to run at night.

So it looks like CAD GP is gonna be around june again, hmm interesting.:D

962 kid
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
psh... you just wanted to make the thread 2 years in a row. bastard

buh_buh
11-20-2007, 12:18 AM
can't wait til Singapore! And German grand prix for other reasons ;)

rage2
11-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by ryanallan
Man this year is really going to be interesting with the new "GAY" spec ecu, and no traction controll. Winter testing will be especally inerestiing as we will who the good drivers really are.
What's so "gay" about the new spec ECU? Renault was just being a baby about it... every team has to do the same thing and adapt to a new ECU.

At the end of the 2006 season, all teams worked with the McLaren/Microsoft partnership to scope out required features. Everyone got what they needed in the system. By early 2007, a reference design was available for all teams. EVERY team (including McLaren) had to design their 2007 cars around the spec ECU, and to adapt their other systems to talk to the new ECU properly. If anything, without traction control, 90% of the complexities of ECU talking to other systems is gone. It's a pretty straight forward affair now.

Dave P
11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
man ohhh man i cant wait for MTL this year.

A week of cars, booze, and super contact.

cloud7
11-20-2007, 10:26 AM
So are all these dates confirmed ?

There is nothing "gay" about seeing who the good drivers really are.

ryanallan
11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by rage2

What's so "gay" about the new spec ECU? Renault was just being a baby about it... every team has to do the same thing and adapt to a new ECU.

At the end of the 2006 season, all teams worked with the McLaren/Microsoft partnership to scope out required features. Everyone got what they needed in the system. By early 2007, a reference design was available for all teams. EVERY team (including McLaren) had to design their 2007 cars around the spec ECU, and to adapt their other systems to talk to the new ECU properly. If anything, without traction control, 90% of the complexities of ECU talking to other systems is gone. It's a pretty straight forward affair now.

I am not with or against Renault here, and I am aware of all teams having access to this - now one year old - ECU during last years development time.
Like I have said before, I don’t like the idea of F1 moving towards a spec series. With the tyres, engines, and now the ECU controlled, this seems to be the path F1 is taking.

F1 is the panicle of motorsports not just because they pay the drivers the most money. Engineering, design, and research are also very large parts of the sport.

I think Renault was trying to make the point that they had developed a bespoke system tailored to how their team operates (like how they record data, how they process the data, how they tune the engine to varying conditions, or even how they develop software), and now have to change.
What they got out of the new system was a compromise. Renault has even said that a considerable amount of time had been spent on integrating the new system into their team.

And 90% of the ECUs function was TC ? I don’t have hard numbers and im sure you don’t either, but come on. The ECU also has to operate: engine performance (heating/cooling, air/fuel ...etc), ABS, data processing, and im sure there are more.
I would think the Pneumatic/ignition/fuel injection systems would take the most computing power. Based on that, Id say TC would take maybe 10% of all onboard computing power.

Originally posted by cloud7

There is nothing "gay" about seeing who the good drivers really are.

Did I say or even imply that ?

The part of that you didn’t include in your quote actually cheered on a couple of the better drivers in the field. I would love to see Vettel win a couple races here or there.

Dave P
11-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Toyota will reveal their 2008 challenger, the TF108, on January 10, it was announced on Tuesday. The new car will be unveiled to the media at the Japanese team’s technical centre in Cologne, Germany.

The squad’s drivers, including recently-confirmed race driver Timo Glock will be in attendance at the special event, alongside members of the team's management.

Toyota endured a tough 2007 campaign, ending the season sixth in the standings, after scoring 13 world championship points.

The BMW Sauber F1.08 will be unveiled to the public in Germany on January 14, the team announced on Wednesday. The wraps will come off the car in Munich at BMW Welt, the new BMW vehicle delivery centre.

Drivers Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica, BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen, technical director Willy Rampf and Peter Sauber will all be present at the launch of the team’s 2008 contender. The F1.08 will then get its first track outing in Valencia, Spain on January 15.

The squad will be hoping the new machine allows them to build on their impressive 2007 season, which saw them finish second in the constructors’ championship with 101 points.

rage2
11-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I am not with or against Renault here, and I am aware of all teams having access to this - now one year old - ECU during last years development time.
Like I have said before, I don’t like the idea of F1 moving towards a spec series. With the tyres, engines, and now the ECU controlled, this seems to be the path F1 is taking.
The whole reason for the spec ECU is to stop people from cheating. Remember when TC was first banned and Schumacher/Benetton was busted for having TC code on the ECU that could be secretly triggered? Or Ferrari's gear based power strategy? It's impossible to police, that's why the FIA caved and allowed TC to come back. With a spec ECU with NO functionality for speed or gear based power maps, traction control is fully banned and nobody can cheat. This is why they planned on introducing this 3 or 4 years ago to stop the cheating.

And 90% of the ECUs function was TC ? I don’t have hard numbers and im sure you don’t either, but come on.
90% of the complexity, not 90% of the functionality. Engine management is a very simple functionality.

Dave P
11-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Formula One teams will test slick tires during the year end test in Jerez, Spain next month.
According to a report in a Dutch racing magazine, Bridgestone will supply each team at the test with three sets of slick tires.
The Japanese manufacturer is interested in gathering data for the 2009 season, which could see a return to slicks. Currently, GP2 cars all use slick tires which are supplied by Bridgestone.
In 1998, Formula One teams started using grooved tires in a bid to try and bring speeds down. It was hoped that slicks could replace grooves as early as next season, but that idea was abandoned in favour of more testing.
Teams have agreed that any mileage completed using slicks will not count towards the total testing miles for the year.

hks
11-21-2007, 05:44 PM
http://planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2895202,00.html

ryanallan
11-21-2007, 11:21 PM

The whole reason for the spec ECU is to stop people from cheating. Remember when TC was first banned and Schumacher/Benetton was busted for having TC code on the ECU that could be secretly triggered? Or Ferrari's gear based power strategy? It's impossible to police, that's why the FIA caved and allowed TC to come back. With a spec ECU with NO functionality for speed or gear based power maps, traction control is fully banned and nobody can cheat. This is why they planned on introducing this 3 or 4 years ago to stop the cheating.

90% of the complexity, not 90% of the functionality. Engine management is a very simple functionality.

I actually was not aware of the Ferrari/Benetton incidents, but I still think the FIA could have done something other than spec all the ECUs.

And engine management is not very simple. Consider the engines used in F1, they monitor everything from combustion temp, combustion pressure, air/fuel density, spark temp/duration, and valve lift/duration, to even guessing the torque the engine is producing. They then use all this info to optimize the next combustion.
And considering the 2.4L engines produce about 700hp, that’s almost 300hp/L. Tell me the complexity of code used to run such an engine with such precision and control is simple. I don’t even want to guess how many lines of code needed or the complexity of the algorithms used.
Based on that I would guess the ECU spends most of its time and processing power on engine management.

Dave P
11-22-2007, 03:32 PM
There will not be 12 Formula One teams lining up on the starting grid in Melbourne next March.

Prodrive boss David Richards tells the German publication Auto, Motor und Sport that his plans to field a startup operation are on hold until a new Concorde Agreement can be finalized and agreed upon.

"We asked the FIA to be able to start mid-way through the season, and our request was rejected,” Richards tells the magazine. "So for 2008 there is not a realistic chance of there being a Prodrive F1 team."

Prodrive was selected from almost two dozen applications to be the 12th team in Formula One in 2008. Richards made it quite clear from the start that he intended to take advantage of new rules which permitted the use of 'customer' cars rather than build everything from scratch.

Prodrive was set to announce a chassis and engine deal with McLaren until several teams, notably Spyker/Force India and Williams, challenged the eligibility of customer cars under the agreement. Those challenges have forced Richards to put his deal on hold until a ruling is handed down.

"Our ambition is still to be in F1," said Richards. "We must wait for the new Concorde; only then can we fully assess our options."

rage2
11-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Renault is fucked haha.

McLaren are adamant that rivals Renault did gain a 'clear benefit and unfair advantage' from the use of the intellectual property that is at the centre of the latest spy controversy surrounding the French car manufacturer, autosport.com has learned.

In a legal submission lodged with the FIA ahead of Renault's appearance before the World Motor Sport Council next month, McLaren's solicitors leave the FIA in no doubt about how seriously they are taking the matter.

And they are sure that the information former McLaren engineer Phil Mackareth is alleged to have taken with him to Renault in September 2006 was used to the French car manufacturer's benefit.

In the statement, the solicitors state: "It is clear that McLaren's confidential design information was knowingly, deliberately and widely disseminated and discussed within the Renault F1 design and engineering team, thereby providing them [the Renault F1 design and engineering team] with a clear benefit and unfair advantage."

According to sources, McLaren's solicitors have also expressed some frustration at the way Renault have dealt with the matter.

It is understood that the solicitors have complained in writing to Renault about the 'cavalier attitude' on the part of senior Renault F1 personnel during the investigation, and also that some submissions from Renault staff are "incomplete" or "misleading", as well as that some members have allegedly provided contradictory witness statements.

Renault are due to face the FIA on December 6 to answer charges that they had unauthorized possession of intellectual property belonging to McLaren.

The exact nature of this information has also been made clear in the FIA submission. It has been revealed that the matter revolves around 33 files of confidential technical information that was copied onto 11 old-style floppy discs.

It is understood these files contained more than 780 individual drawings that outlined the entire technical blueprint of the 2006 and 2007 McLaren car. The figure of 780 drawings is very similar to the number of drawings in the Ferrari dossier that McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan was found to have in his possession earlier this year.

McLaren's lawyers argue that their team's files were discussed by up to 18 Renault personnel, involving at least seven senior staff members including chief designer Tim Densham, deputy technical director James Allison and head of R&D Robin Tuluie.

That's much worse than the McLaren/Ferrari Saga. Knowing the FIA and how much Mosley hates Ron Dennis and McLaren, they're probably going to let them off with a slap on the wrist just so he can rub it in Ron Dennis's face.

I guess this also explains why Alonso has not rushed to sign on with Renault yet... waiting to see how this may affect him. At this rate, the rumors of Alonso joining Ross Brawn at Honda may actually come true. It's too bad the whole StepneyGate thing happened, because if it didn't, Coghlan and Stepney would've been at Honda too. That would surely kickstart the team and help them back to the top.

Dave P
11-23-2007, 10:02 AM
^^^^

i bet ferrari is behind this somehow hahaha.

rage2
11-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I actually was not aware of the Ferrari/Benetton incidents, but I still think the FIA could have done something other than spec all the ECUs.
More to the Ferrari/Benetton incidents, of which both happened with Michael Schumacher behind the wheel...

So when they were tendering offers for spec ECUs, It was MES (McLaren/Microsoft), Motec, and Magnetti Marelli. The reason why MES was chosen was because the FIA dropped Motec from the list because the '94 Benetton used Motec management, where the hidden TC code could be triggered with a sequence of buttons on the steering wheel. FIA then dropped Marelli because they also had hidden TC within their ECU in '01 with Ferrari. So MES was chosen by default, definately not FIA's first choice.

And engine management is not very simple. Consider the engines used in F1, they monitor everything from combustion temp, combustion pressure, air/fuel density, spark temp/duration, and valve lift/duration, to even guessing the torque the engine is producing. They then use all this info to optimize the next combustion.
Something that the current Motronics systems are doing in most German cars. It's not that tough haha.

And considering the 2.4L engines produce about 700hp, that’s almost 300hp/L. Tell me the complexity of code used to run such an engine with such precision and control is simple. I don’t even want to guess how many lines of code needed or the complexity of the algorithms used.
Based on that I would guess the ECU spends most of its time and processing power on engine management.
Nah, 300hp/L is all from revs, so it's basically the same functionality as our road cars, just at a faster pace, requiring faster and more accurate sensors. Even so, if you've seen the code of an older ECU, you'd realize it does nothing 90% of the time. For example, the Honda OBDI ecu's, which has been disassembled to hell, 90% of the time the ECU is idle waiting for the next cycle. Of course, that's with a slow ass 8-bit CPU and a simple dual 2D maps. Scale up to current 32-bit ECU's, and there's a LOT of idle time, even while reading, measuring, and reacting to the hundreds of sensors monitoring everything over 20 different 3D maps.

I did a bunch of simple traction control stuff on the OBD1 Honda ECU's, and the variables involved are MUCH more complex than combustion management. Luckily, there's 90% idle time for the ECU to handle all that stuff.

ryanallan
11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I was under the impression that current “state of the art” engine management systems actually use more than 1 or 2 3D maps, they use an infinite number of maps. So after every combustion the ECU would store and analyze the data. Using this historical data, the ECU would construct its own maps, and add them to the pile. However, the ECU does not just determine how much fuel and spark to give, it must also operate the Pneumatic valve system, power delivery to the seamless-shift transmission system, and im sure there are others. The fact that the ECU must monitor, store, analyze and look for trends, and execute actions for hundreds of variables once every 0.001 seconds just seems complicated to me.

I was also under the impression that this is pretty much how traction control systems work; gathering and storing data, looking for trends, comparing the trends to current data, and finally executing an action.

iceburns288
11-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
psh... you just wanted to make the thread 2 years in a row. bastard
:D

ryanallan
11-29-2007, 10:01 PM
So I guess Fisichella and R.Schumacher are both going to be testing with Force India next week.

I wonder if Renault is trying to say something ?

ryanallan
11-29-2007, 10:06 PM
M.Schumacher's new house.
must be nice :drool:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8883/f12007genxp1318og9.jpg

Revhard
11-30-2007, 12:16 AM
M.Schumacher's new house.
must be nice :drool:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8883/f12007genxp1318og9.jpg

Where is it?
Looks like nice water, someplace warm.

/////AMG
11-30-2007, 10:36 AM
No neighbors either! Thats privacy

Dave P
11-30-2007, 11:31 AM
TSN.ca Staff

11/29/2007 4:48:02 PM

Honda Racing is denying reports that Fernando Alonso recently visited the team's factory, sparking speculation that the two-time world champion was set to join the Japanese manufacturer.

"Fernando has not visited our factory, and Honda Racing confirmed their drivers for the 2008 season back in July," said a team spokesperson.

The German publication Bild started the latest speculation by saying the Spaniard visited the team's factory for a seat fitting. The rumor gained even more speed after it was also reported that Rubens Barrichello and new Honda team boss Ross Brawn had met with officials at Super Aguri.

Autosport.com says while Brawn did travel to Super Aguri's Leafield factory it was with another member of the racing team and not a driver.

Alonso has an offer on the table from his former employer Renault but it's believed the team would like a long term committment - two to three years - rather than the reported one year which the Spaniard is seeking

Giancarlo Fisichella has fired back at Bernie Ecclestone's assertion that the veteran driver should consider winding down his career.

In an interview with the German publication Auto, Motor und Sport, Ecclestone mused on the future's of both Fisichella and Ralf Schumacher, saying they should re-consider whether or not it makes sense to move into a less competitive environment.

"Maybe if they change teams they'll get a bit of a wake-up call," said the F1 boss.

In an open letter to Ecclestone on his personal website, Fisichella said he read with interest his comments, which he noted were "faithfully published by your own web site."

"You are the father of Formula One and like a father you have talked about your children, including me," wrote Fisichella. "I wanted to remind you dear daddy, I mean dear Bernie, that I am the one who won the first Grand Prix in Melbourne in 2005 with Renault and therefore I was the one who first discovered the R25 as a winning car.

"In the two seasons I spent alongside Alonso, in full agreement with the strategies of my Team, I have contributed to two constructor titles, taking home the fourth place in the drivers' championship, just like Massa this year. Given the circumstances I believe I could not do any better. In 2007 Renault promised me a championship winning car, but this has not been the case and for this I did not get demoralized!"

Fisichella ends by saying he looks forward to bringing his "enthusiasm and my experience" to Force India at next week's test.

"A young team with an 'old heart' just like Giancarlo Fisichella who has still some talent to show!"

Team_Mclaren
11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
too much friction , not enough facts. and Bernie is a fucking idiot, as per usual

Dave P
11-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Super Aguri had to fire 30 team members due to funding. Tear.....

buh_buh
11-30-2007, 01:06 PM
so Super Aguri's down to what, 5 employees now?
And Alonso better not go to Honda. He may be quick, but he's a team killer.

Dave P
11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Sato and Davidson will have to change there own tires on pit stops now

Team_Mclaren
11-30-2007, 04:41 PM
fuck i'd work for free.:rofl:

ryanallan
12-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
Sato and Davidson will have to change there own tires on pit stops now

haha.
ya i would also work for free !

buh_buh
12-01-2007, 06:15 PM
its usually the mechanics that do the pit stops, so just start with taking apart and putting an entire motor back together in a few hours, then offer your services to Ferrari for free.

iceburns288
12-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Revhard
Where is it?
Looks like nice water, someplace warm.
It's on Lake Geneva in Switzerland.

ryanallan
12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Slick tyres are back !
I guess they will make a return in 2009, but its good to see them on car, finally.
They seem more uprite and square then the grooved tyres currently in use...

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9650/f12007tesxp5340vg7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Dave P
12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
The FIA World Motor Sport Council has found Renault guilty of spying, but deemed it unnecessary to impose sanction upon the French constructor.

The charges against Renault stem from the discovery of floppy discs containing McLaren's intellectual property at the Enstone team's headquarters. It was revealed that Phil Mackareth, who had left McLaren to join Renault, had taken the discs with him from his old employers.

Renault thus faced similar charges to those which McLaren faced earlier this year when they took receipt of technical information belonging to rivals Ferrari.

McLaren were initially found not guilty, but the subsequent emergence of new evidence resulted in a second hearing. It was only then that the British outfit received a record $100 million fine and were also excluded from the Constructors' World Championship.

For now Renault are in the clear, even though it was decided that they had brought F1 into disrepute.

The FIA statement read: "An extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council was held in Monaco on December 6, 2007," read the FIA statement.

"The World Council found Renault F1 to be in breach of article 151c of the International Sporting Code but imposed no penalty.

"Detailed reasons for this decision will be issued on December 7, 2007, and a transcript of the proceedings will be published as soon as possible thereafter

nismodrifter
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
^^^^^^^^ ROFL AHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
Like anyone didn't expect that.

I guess Alonso is going to Renault then.

lewdvig
12-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I already forgot everything that happened last year. I only remember that it went to the wire.

Oh yeah, now I remember: Italy won. AGAIN

rage2
12-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I hate the FIA.

962 kid
12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
^^ yup... I wish I could find that tshirt that said Wanted for Crimes Against F1: Max Mosley.

Originally posted by lewdvig
I already forgot everything that happened last year. I only remember that it went to the wire.

Oh yeah, now I remember: Italy won. AGAIN

:rolleyes: Yeah, Italy cheated again. Good stuff.

/////AMG
12-06-2007, 04:06 PM
There wasn't even any point making this to even the news. Everyone knew what was going to happen...

FIA = :barf: :banghead: :whipped:

buh_buh
12-06-2007, 05:12 PM
can't say I'm surprised

Dave P
12-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Renault F1 have confirmed two-time world champion Fernando Alonso will return to drive for them in 2008.

The Spaniard will be joined by rookie Nelson Piquet Jr., who spent last season as the team's test and reserve driver.

Frenchman Romain Grosjean, the reigning F3 Euroseries Champion and a product of Renault's driver development program, has been named the team's test driver.

The move means neither of last year's drivers - Giancarlo Fisichella and Heikki Kovalainen - will be back in 2008.

Related Info
F1: Silly Season Update - Dec. 10
"Fernando and Nelsinho will form one of the most exciting driver line up of 2008," said team boss Flavio Briatore. "We are delighted to be welcoming Fernando back home to the team where he enjoyed his greatest success. His abilities as a driver and a team leader are well known, and we look forward to forging another strong partnership. What's more, he knows the team well and how we operate; he will feel comfortable straight away in this environment."

"Nelsinho is one of the most promising young talents in motorsport," added Briatore. "After his success in GP2, he has spent a year learning the ropes as our test driver and getting to know the team ; he is now ready to step up to the next level."

At the crux of Alonso's departure from McLaren after just one season was a complaint that he was not appreciated or afforded the type of respect and/or treatment that he felt a reigning world champion deserved. Several times last season, he spoke about not fitting in to the British culture within the team.

"Now it is time for us to begin a new chapter together," said Alonso.

"The decision to choose a team did not take more than a week, as me and the people close to me were clear about what we wanted. I would like to thank all the other teams for their interest to have me work with them. Like I said before, I chose Renault in the end considering their commitment to the sport and because of their strong track record."

Alonso said he was unaware, for the most part, about the intense speculation surrounding his decision, adding that he never considered taking a year off from the sport.

"They were talking about a one-year contract or a three-year contract, even saying that I had been visiting factories, some suggesting I was taking a year off. It would have never come to me not having a drive for next season. Sure it was not like I had to choose between a grey pair of trousers and a black one.. (but) too much has been invented."

Ironically, Alonso steps back into a situation at Renault that he found unworkable at McLaren - a rookie teammate with the potential to overshadow him. However, you can bet this time around that the Spaniard has asked for and will likey receive special treatment in order to avoid a repeat of 2007.

The announcement should clear the way for Kovalainen to go after the vacant seat alongside Lewis Hamilton at McLaren. The Finn was one of several young drivers the team had targeted to replace Alonso.

As for Fisichella, he recently tested with Force India after admitting he was exploring all his options for 2008.

cloud7
12-10-2007, 01:08 PM
I will be quite surprised if Kovalainen isn't going to McLaren next year.

ryanallan
12-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Well i cant say im surprised either.
You could just tell Piquet was going to be a race driver all last year though. He was always around, hanging out on the pit wall, in the garage, and at the teams special events.
Either he really wanted to show commmitment to the team, or he knew he was going to get a race seat.

Lets hope Renault can have some sucess in 2008 with their new divers.

Team_Mclaren
12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
WOOHOO!!! that means Kovalainen to Mclaren!!! other then Rosberg, he's the second best young driver imo.

buh_buh
12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
other then Rosberg, he's the second best young driver imo.
uh.. what about Lewis Hamilton? And I'd almost put Vettel in front of Kovy too.

Dave P
12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
On a side note,

Dose anyone have any good sources for buying authentic F1 clothing?

I dont really like the knockoffs (although i have a bunch) and ordering from eurpoe is expensive.

Something local, or even online in canada would be great. Thanks.

buh_buh
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I know there's a f1 store in Montreal. I don't know if they ship or anything though. Its called like F1 boutique or something.

forkdork
12-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Do you think ron dennis wants 2 very new drivers driving though? (Hamilton and Heiki) I think atleast one of the drivers should have more than 1 seasons experience behind them.

buh_buh
12-12-2007, 03:04 PM
who's left? Ralf? Fisi? :rofl:
Neither of them should be in f1 imo. Michael even told Ralf to get out.

forkdork
12-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

I don't think Fisi would be that bad of a choice to support Hamilton.

Team_Mclaren
12-12-2007, 03:15 PM

uh.. what about Lewis Hamilton? And I'd almost put Vettel in front of Kovy too.

oh right, Lewis aside of course

On a side note,

I dont really like the knockoffs (although i have a bunch) and ordering from eurpoe is expensive.

For what team? You can buy Mclaren boss stuff locally. Ferrari puma is everywhere. BMW puma is easy to find too.

Originally posted by forkdork
Do you think ron dennis wants 2 very new drivers driving though? (Hamilton and Heiki) I think atleast one of the drivers should have more than 1 seasons experience behind them.

Meh, i dont think its a big deal.
Its gonna be either Kovalainen, Gaffett or De La Rosa. Kovalainen SHOULD be the fastest of of the bunch.

buh_buh
12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Fisi in the beginning of last year was running his mouth about how he should contend for the title, and instead, he gets worked by a rookie (but a pretty good one). His days with a top team are done, and in f1 are coming to an end.

PDLR should not have a race seat either. I had this discussion with someone earlier this week. Good test driver, not so good race driver. This was shown when an unmotivated Montoya outperformed him drastically in that half year.
Paffet I think should get a shot, but really I have no clue how good he is. I agree though, Kovy should be the fastest. He's probably the fastest driver available at this point.

Team_Mclaren
12-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing Paffett race. He's been testing for two years, won DTM in 05. He should get a shot.

Nav13
12-12-2007, 03:23 PM

For real? he told his brother to gtfo? talk about tough love.

ryanallan
12-12-2007, 03:24 PM
On a side note,

I have ordered from here (http://www.grandprixlegends.com) a couple of times.
Their shipping from the UK only took one week !

forkdork
12-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Nav13

For real? he told his brother to gtfo? talk about tough love.

He recommended that he take a year off......... as if hes going to pull some sort of Alain Prost move and come back to win the WDC ;)

Nav13
12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
ah gotcha, thats not to harsh then. Thats not bad advice, maybe a year off would do him some good.

Dave P
12-14-2007, 11:36 AM
WOOHOO!!! that means Kovalainen to Mclaren!!! other then Rosberg, he's the second best young driver imo.

:D

McLaren have confirmed Heikki Kovalainen will fill the vacancy alongside Lewis Hamilton in 2008.

It's the second time in his career that the Finn has replaced Fernando Alonso. Last year, he assumed the two-time champions spot at Renault after the Spaniard left to join McLaren.

"We had a number of options open to us and as always we want to make sure that we have the most competitive driver line-up and I think that Lewis and Heikki will be a formidable combination," said McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh.

"I am confident that they will push each other on track and work well together off track."

McLaren added that Pedro de la Rosa will remain as the team's test and reserve driver while Gary Paffett will continue to assist the team as a test driver as well.

Kovalainen will become the fourth Finnish-born driver to race for McLaren, joining Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen.

"The team has always been popular in Finland because of both Mika and Kimi's involvement, so when I was growing up there was a massive awareness of McLaren Mercedes especially when Mika won the World Championship twice," said Kovalainen. "I am so happy to be part of this team. There is a lot of work ahead of us, but I can't wait."

Kovalainen adds he's not concerned about running into the same problems Alonso did this past season racing alongside Lewis Hamilton.

"It's up to me to build relationships with the team and the people around me, and I know everybody is excited about me joining, so I don't think that will be a problem at all," said the Finn.

"Also after the 2007 season I don't think there can be any doubt that the team is totally committed to equality amongst its drivers and I like that."

"It's not for me to judge what went wrong with Fernando and the team and I am really not interested. All I can say is how I feel about my opportunity and I am really excited and happy."

Hamilton, who singled out Kovalainen as a potential teammate following Alonso's departure, says he's looking forward to working alongside the Finn.

"My first year in Formula 1 was incredible and I hope that Heikki will enjoy his first year with the team as much as I did mine."

McLaren also announced that there would be no formal presentation of the team's new MP4-23 in the new year. Rather, the team will simply roll out the new car as part of an exclusive test at Jerez in the second week of January.

Last year, the team put on an expensive, glitzy demonstration through the streets of Valencia, in part to herald the arrival of Alonso to the team. However, given the spy scandal this past summer and the public apology this week regarding the use of confidential information belonging to Ferrari, its easy to see why the team are looking to downplay their 2008 challenger.

cloud7
12-14-2007, 11:44 AM
As I had predicted... McLaren is the only place Heikki would go... why else would he leave Renault? He sure the heck ain't going to Toyota.

962 kid
12-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Awesome!

buh_buh
12-14-2007, 12:02 PM
well, its not that he was leaving Renault, it was more like Renault was showing him the door for Alonso.

But I'm looking forward to seeing Kovalainen in a Mclaren. Now we can see how good he really is.

rage2
12-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm a very happy man today. 2 drivers that I really like on my team. Can't get much better than that!

I've had high hopes for Kovy for a long ass time. Kinda started following his progress after this:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=839742#post839742

Now he's at McLaren, he can really show off his potential!

Dave P
12-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm a very happy man today. 2 drivers that I really like on my team. Can't get much better than that!

I dont usually cheer for the top 4 (mclearen, ferrari, renault, bmw)

but I do love the young guns on Mcleren

Team_Mclaren
12-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Im super happy of course, but do feel kidna bad for Gaffett, he really deserves a chance to drive, too bad prodrive couldnt get going..

forkdork
12-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by cloud7
As I had predicted... McLaren is the only place Heikki would go... why else would he leave Renault? He sure the heck ain't going to Toyota.

He didn't "leave" Renault. Good move for Heiki though.

962 kid
12-14-2007, 10:45 PM

naah...it is simple... they have fixed ignition timing so they only have fuel pulse width and even then they still put a knob on the steering wheel to adjust mixture..just like a model T

Dave P
12-18-2007, 09:41 AM
McLaren will not face further scrutiny of its 2008 car after the World Motor Sport Council cancelled a hearing next February to go over the team's new design.

The February 14th hearing was called to discuss whether or not intellectual property from Ferrari had made its way into the 2008 design of the McLaren F1 challenger. A FIA report presented to the World Motor Sport Council earlier this month seemed to indicate that was the case.

With McLaren facing further delays and new sanctions, the team offered up a public apology, admitting that Ferrari data had been more widely "disseminated" within the team than previously thought. The team also offered to impose a moratorium on development of three systems in 2008 related to the Ferrari data.

That public admission and offer was enough for the FIA to ask the World Motor Sport Council to cancel the hearing in February and that in the interests of the sport, consider the matter closed.

On Tuesday, the World Motor Sport Council issued a one line statement confirming the cancellation of the February hearing.

The decision means that McLaren can now move on with development of its 2008 car without further interference from FIA.

rage2
12-18-2007, 11:55 AM
McLaren didn't have a choice here. Max Mosley told McLaren they have a problem with 3 areas of the new car's design and presented McLaren with 2 options.

Option 1 - A hearing in Feb a few weeks before the race to see if the car is legal, where McLaren could denend themselves against the 3 claims.

Option 2 - Send out a public apology. Halt development for 1 year on the 3 areas under investigation.

For McLaren, with Mad Max behind the wheels of the investigation, option 1 isn't going to happen. If they choose option 1, McLaren would effectively ban themselves from 2008. We've seen the verdicts that Max Mosley and the FIA goons have handed out, and it's clear to everyone that Max and the FIA are anti-McLaren at ALL costs, to the point where they don't even bother hiding their agenda anymore.

So, McLaren had to go to option 2. Publically embarass themselves with an apology, stop development in 3 areas, and get on with life. McLaren had no choice but to do this if they wanted to race in 2008.

The apology itself is pretty brutal. Max and FIA basically made McLaren take sole responsiblility for everything this year. Make themselves look like assholes and Ferrari the innocent victim.

As a result of the investigations carried out by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile it has become clear that Ferrari information was more widely disseminated within McLaren than was previously communicated.

McLaren greatly regrets that its own investigations did not identify this material and has written to the World Motor Sport Council to apologise for this.

McLaren has written a letter to the FIA. That letter speaks for itself and the sentiments expressed in it are sincerely held by McLaren.

McLaren has also written to the World Motor Sport Council to apologise that it has taken an FIA investigation to find this information and have expressed our deep regret that our understanding of the facts was improved as a result of the FIA inspection rather than our own investigations.

McLaren has recognised that this entire situation could have been avoided if we had informed Ferrari and the FIA about Nigel Stepney's first communication when it came to our attention. We are, of course, embarrassed by the successive disclosures and have apologised unreservedly to the FIA World Motor Sport Council.

To avoid even the possibility of Ferrari information influencing our performance during 2008, McLaren has offered a set of detailed undertakings to the FIA which will impose a moratorium on development in relation to three separate systems.

During the course of these incidents, McLaren has conducted a thorough review of its policies and procedures regarding the recruitment and management of staff. The proposals arising from this thorough review have been disclosed to the FIA and McLaren has agreed to demonstrate that all of these policies and procedures have been fully implemented.

McLaren wish to make a public apology to the FIA, Ferrari, the Formula 1 community and to Formula 1 fans throughout the world and offer their assurance that changes are now being made which will ensure that nothing comparable to what has taken place will ever happen again. McLaren have also agreed to pay the costs incurred by the FIA for their investigation.

McLaren now wishes to put these matters behind it and to move forward focusing on the 2008 season.

As for the 3 systems in question?

1. CO2 gas. McLaren not allowed to use it. They never did anyways.

2. Brake bias shift. McLaren actually PIONEERED this system with a 3rd rear brake pedal back in '97 (which not surprisingly, was banned thanks to Ferrari lol). The system has been refined today to not require a 3rd pedal, as brake bias change under braking is automatic. Ferrari also has a similar system, implemented completely differently. I talked about it in the hearing transcripts. Anyways, McLaren has always been dominant in low speed mechanical grip. This is one key reason why. Now, they are not allowed to refine their system for a year, while Ferrari has all of McLaren's detailed system to do whatever they want with.

3. Brake Valve Fill - Another halt in development for the brake bias system.

So basically, what the FIA has managed to do is to have McLaren embarass themselves with their apology, and have McLaren halt design in what was their expertise for the last 10 years, while accidently giving up all the McLaren braking system info to everyone else thanks to the poorly blacked out WMSC transcripts.

Ferrari thanks Max and the FIA greatly lol.

/////AMG
12-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I hate max, stupid twat

Revhard
12-18-2007, 05:37 PM
This is the world of motorsports and money.
Look what they did to John Force, practically made him race
in the dark. Funny thing was, despite the handi-cap placed
on him at every turn, he still won.
I couldn't care any less though, I just watch the racing.
There are a large handful of great drivers in great cars, it's alot of fun these days.

ryanallan
12-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Wow. As much as i love to see Ferrari win, the FIA seems to be taking this McLaren thing too far.

Trini
12-19-2007, 01:48 PM

I have ordered from here (http://www.grandprixlegends.com) a couple of times.
Their shipping from the UK only took one week !
http://www.shopsquareone.com/stores.asp?store=191 this store in Ontario has some good stuff..and that grandprixlegends is a good site this site looks good as well http://www.kitbag.com/stores/kitbag_4_5/f1/default.aspx

rage2
12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Wow. As much as i love to see Ferrari win, the FIA seems to be taking this McLaren thing too far.
Ferrari better win the championship next year. If they don't, it'd be pretty embarassing with so much FIA help.

They did a great job in distracting and fucking over McLaren this year to win their championships.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Nobody sucks the Ferrari cock quite like Max Mosely & the FIA.

12-24-2007, 01:57 AM
On a side note,

I grabbed some business cards from a few shops during last years Montreal Grand Prix. I found the pricing at the track venue to be better than some of the shops in Old Montreal. I picked up most of my shirts from the shop in the first link. The guy remembered me from last year and gave me a bit of a discount. He mentioned that they were willing to ship to Edmonton as well. Can't wait for this years Grand Prix.

Boutique du Grand Prix (Montreal) (http://boutiquedugrandprix.com/store/catalog/)

Grand Prix Miniatures (Montreal) (http://www.gpmini.qc.ca/store/index.php?language=en)

Collector Studio (Toronto) (http://www.cstudio.net/)

Note: The last link has authentic team clothing (tobacco branding) which are quite pricey. They also carry sweet mini helmets.

Alpine Autowerks
12-27-2007, 11:28 AM
10 year engine freeze! :rolleyes:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/motorsport/fia-ratifies-ten-year-f1-engine-freeze/

/////AMG
12-27-2007, 01:01 PM
What. The. FUCK?

Revhard
12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Why does Maxx want to have another Nascar?
That's no fun. F1 is about the very best that money can buy.
They are going to spend the money somewhere, it is the nature of racing.
He just doesn't understand that the teams with the most money will create an unfair advantage within the rules if they must.
Not a wonder F1 drivers went to Nascar, they saw the future...:thumbsdow

ryanallan
12-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I think what the press failed to mention is Max's long term plan.
Although I totally agree that stopping engine development in F1 is one step closer to NASCAR, and goes against everything that F1 is, I think Max knows what he is doing.

I have read that Max wants to promotes "green" technology in F1, like regenerative braking and other such technologies.
Maybe Max figures that the new technology would be more expansive to develop than it it would be to continue developing the combustion engine. Maybe he is trying to steer R&D into new areas ?

buh_buh
12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Maybe he is trying to steer R&D into new areas ? Well that's the entire point of the engine freeze, so yes, that's exactly what he's doing. The engine freeze until 2008 was supposed to make the manufacturers focus on aero, and I see where they were going with that. But 10 years?! Lap times will continue to drop, but as other posters have mentioned, this goes against what F1 is all about.

Alpine Autowerks
12-29-2007, 11:20 AM
For Max's next trick he should get rid of those pesky right hand turns so the cameras can stay focused on ever bigger barge boards that optimize those sponsorship signage opportunities

That way I will finally be able to figure out what are the most popular European chewing tobacco brands

ryanallan
01-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Pictures from the 2008 Ferrari launch.
The new car has some very interesting, and complicated, aero features; the new nose section being one of them. Another feature I found interesting was the gap between the intake rear tail section.

And look at the toe of the front wheels compared to the 2006 car ! I wonder if they will actually use this setting? Maybe its just the reflection . . .
And I just read that the cars wheelbase had been shortened from last years car to help with speed in the tight corners. All politics aside, this new car looks very good and should do very well next year.
McLaren launches tomorrow, lets see what they have come up with.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8625/f12008gentm0019xt2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1237/f12008gentm0020kq0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9780/f12008gentm0048vx6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7282/f12008gentm0010qb5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8341/f12008gentm0025ng4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/306/ferrari248f1launch20063bw1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

rage2
01-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Fucking Ferrari. That looks exactly like the McLaren mid season 2007 Aero package.

ryanallan
01-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Some minor changes to the 2008 McLaren car...
looks like they are just tweaking the 2007 car even though the new car has apparently spend 3000 hours in the wind tunnel.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6079/f12008genxp0061fn5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/950/f12008genxp0087lp5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/251/f12008genxp0095qn7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9734/f12008gentm0068lg8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ryanallan
01-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Just looking at lap times from Ferrari's test yesterday, and it looks like the the new car is about 2 seconds slower around Fiorano than last years car. This gap is surly to close as the season progresses...

Here are some lap records around Fiorano alongside some notable tech regulations for the given year.

F2004 00.55.999

F2005 00.57.146 - 3.0L V10

F2006 00.57.099 - 2.4L V8, engines must last for two races

F2007 00.58.366 - spec tyres, engine freeze

F2008 01.00.897 - traction control baned, spec ECU, gear box must last for four races

4wheeldrift
01-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Ferrari has always played hardball when it came to motorsports. "Oh hey, the GT40 took us out behind the woodshed and gave us a thrashing at Le Mans so we'll get that banned". They've been doing it for as long as they've been racing, and it isn't likely to stop soon. They'll say and do anything they need to to keep their edge.

Team_Mclaren
01-09-2008, 02:14 PM
The test MP4-23 has the optional bridge front spoiler on it. Looks like they are going to continue with that again.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/photos/imgactu/zoom08/delarosa-test-z-01_090108.jpg

redline
01-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I know there's a f1 store in Montreal. I don't know if they ship or anything though. Its called like F1 boutique or something.

I know they ship

redline
01-10-2008, 07:46 AM
The test MP4-23 has the optional bridge front spoiler on it. Looks like they are going to continue with that again.

They are suppose to be running 2007 aero for the next month or so the start to intro new aero bits closer to the first race...

iceburns288
01-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Ferrari has always played hardball when it came to motorsports. "Oh hey, the GT40 took us out behind the woodshed and gave us a thrashing at Le Mans so we'll get that banned". They've been doing it for as long as they've been racing, and it isn't likely to stop soon. They'll say and do anything they need to to keep their edge.
Ferrari didn't have the GT40 banned, or anything close to it. Porsche developed the 917 and started rocking shit with that (mmm 917:drool: ).

Alpine Autowerks
01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
^^^^

But the italians are strange when it comes to sports .... they prosecute people for sports related deaths like the never ending Senna mess and that Canadian hockey player who was charged with murder when a check he put on a guy left him dead.... (it was a heart defect not a dirty check).

Montezemolo even said he did not care if the championship was won on the track or in the courtroom

ryanallan
01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
The new Toyota car.
Toyota's aero package looks like a blend of every other car on the grid. Some McLaren, some Ferrari, lots of Renault, some Williams...
No new groundbreaking aero developments this time around.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6555/f12008genxp0276wx8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6929/f12008genxp0255jb0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1872/f12008genxp0265kt0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ryanallan
01-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by redline

They are suppose to be running 2007 aero for the next month or so the start to intro new aero bits closer to the first race...

Ya I have herd that too. Both Ferrari and McLaren are supposed to have major aero updates for Melbourne.

ryanallan
01-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Some interesting times from Jerez today.
I think it was the fist major test in the rain w/o traction control. Ferrari, Toyota, and McLaren seemed to be only teams with new cars...

Looking back at the second half of the 2007 season, times around Jerez (in the dry) around the 1:19:500 mark seemed to be good for the number one spot. It seems weird that the new cars w/o traction control, a spec ECU, and in the rain are already posting similar lap times.

1.Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1:19.845

2. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:20.123

3. Pedro de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.548

4. Sebastian Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:20.732

5. Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.936

6. Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:20.997

7. Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 1:21.143

8. Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:21.344

9. Nelson A. Piquet Renault 1:21.595

10. David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault 1:21.745

ryanallan
01-14-2008, 11:49 PM
New BMW. Looks pretty sweet to me. Some interesting aero features, and much like the Ferrari, the aero looks very complicated.
I think BMW may have a good 208 season !

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2950/f12008genxp0421hc1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2615/f12008gentm0304df9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8464/f12008gentm0310bc5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6328/f12008gentm0312sy5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7510/f12008gentm0302ht0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This diffuser section looks weird. I wonder of thats just some kind of cover ?

rage2
01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Testing Day 2:

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/f1-01.jpg

Note that Alonso was cruising in the low 1:20's most of the day. Then he went on a fresh tires and low fuel 2 lap run in perfect conditions that clocked the fastest time. Renault definately sent him out light to get some press going. You can disregard his time, the R28 isn't that fast lol.

Ferrari and McLaren set their fastest times early in the day in poorer conditions.

McLaren put in a crazy # of laps (111 for DLR, 130 for KOV). Reliability is still there this year :thumbsup:. Closest was Toyota where Glock ran 109 laps. Both teams were concentrating on relibility.

Lewis Hamilton will be running tomorrow with Heikki.

ryanallan
01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Testing Day 2:
Note that Alonso was cruising in the low 1:20's most of the day. Then he went on a fresh tires and low fuel 2 lap run in perfect conditions that clocked the fastest time. Renault definately sent him out light to get some press going. You can disregard his time, the R28 isn't that fast lol.

Wasn't Renault still using the R27 ?

I had read some ware that Alonso had set his fast time in the R27-06.

rage2
01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
They are, that's my bad on the typo.