PDA

View Full Version : My Mom needs your help!

msommers
11-20-2007, 03:03 AM
.....in car choices! Hahaha uhhhh terrible....

Anywho, family is looking to upgrade the vehicles and luxury-ish car is in mind. Normally I cringe when I see these comparison threads but it's been awhile since I've done any automotive research and right now just don't have time. So I'll just stick to input from the knowledgeable.

- 2008 models
- 40-50k budget
- Lots of interior room for people (step-dad is 6'5) and for bags and crap
- Something with memory pedal height, seat adjustments, steering height etc preferred
- My impressions so far says she wants a very luxury like interior, she has an eye for noticing crappy features in the interior
- Heat seats in front for sure, rear would be nice
- Decent gas mileage and "a peppy engine"

She has looked at everything from Infiniti G35, Acura TL to Hyndai Azero (I think it's called) and Dodge Avenger. I remember seeing on here, and hearing people were impressed with a line of Lexus and their interior, along with BMW 3series. Any comments or feedback from owners?

Any recalls in the last year or some vehicle in that range really stick out to you guys? Any car owners that have a love or hate relationship with their vehicle? Certain dealerships gone out of their way to help you if something goes wrong? Some feature(s) that easily can help separate the great from the ok?

Thanks in advance.

swak
11-20-2007, 03:21 AM
EOS

Team_Mclaren
11-20-2007, 03:28 AM
^^ whta an EOS?

ES350 on the other hand, fits the bill, decent interior and looks. As long as you can get over buying an upped version of cramy.

miss_IS300
11-20-2007, 03:34 AM
Lexus GS350

ex1z7
11-20-2007, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by swak
EOS
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/canon-eos-30d-1-tm.jpg

yeah man I'd drive that shit so hard..

if you meant the VW EOS..

http://www.vwtuningmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/kw-vw-eos.jpg

Not really luxury, and are they even available in Canada ?

Lexus for the win...

Team_Mclaren
11-20-2007, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by miss_IS300
Lexus GS350

GS starts at 59G, plus freights, tax, options, you are paying close to 70. welcome to beyond, we're located in Canada. Where even our money is worth more than USD, we still pay a fuck load more for everything.

Eleanor
11-20-2007, 07:55 AM
A little lower then the budget but what about something like a Chrysler 300 or Cadillac CTS?

Aleks
11-20-2007, 08:03 AM
New Chevy Malibu.

SilverRex
11-20-2007, 08:06 AM
The GS350 is nice, the AWD has all options in cluded which I thought is a good deal considering you pay like 5k more in previous years. however 59k still out of your budget.

I would look at the following
Loaded 08 accord v6 with nav, I thought the interrior is much nicer,

defininately look at the TL, you will be getting good deals here since the completely new 09 models will be out next spring.

You can check out the infiniti M35/45 series, I believe you can get a deal there too, however the drawback I hear is you are looking at very poor customer service experience.

anyways, 40-50k is really the odd budget here, as there isnt a whole lot of luxury vehicle that falls in that range, only acura is in the range, for import anyways.

other choices you can look at nissan altima loaded top end is around 40k.

if you are considering SUVs too that is another whole ball of wax
You can check out the new Mercedes benz C350, completely loaded at 55k if you want all the options.

Sorath
11-20-2007, 08:51 AM
is250 looks good imo

TL is a good choice too

Impreza
11-20-2007, 10:48 AM
The interior of the M35/45 is beautiful. I believe they start in the mid-50s though, so it is probably out of budget. I also like the new C-Class... pretty nice inside and out.

Supa Dexta
11-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Damn! I thought this was going to be another bikini contestant...

:poosie:

Redlyne_mr2
11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

GS starts at 59G, plus freights, tax, options, you are paying close to 70. welcome to beyond, we're located in Canada. Where even our money is worth more than USD, we still pay a fuck load more for everything.
A loaded 08 GS350 AWD is $64K all in plus GST..Lexus dropped the price on this model.. just had to clarify :burnout:

Youre right though Team_Mclaren the ES350 would be a good choice, FWD for the winter, good gas mileage, good power, the IS250/350 and BMW 3 series are just a bit too cramped inside.

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2007, 11:34 AM
My vote goes for a Infinity M35X or M45. The M35 is the only one you can sort of afford in Canada. If your willing to import the car you can save over $20,000 on an M45. Infinity honors warranty in Canada as well. You can have your heated and reclining rear seats too if you want. G35's are around $15,000 cheaper from the states as well if you don't like the M.

This is how infinity's warranty works in Calgary on American Cars:

You pay Hyatt infinity ~$300 to transfer the warranty, and they will work on your car when they feel like it (i.e. when nobody else is waiting). You pay Hyatt Infinity $1000 and they will transfer your warranty and treat you as though you bought the car from them. Small price to pay when your saving $20,000. This is Hyatt Infinity specific.

You also can't go wrong with a Lexus GS of some kind, and you can buy a brand new Subaru Legacy GT Limited w/Nav for $29,444 USD any day of the week out of Seattle. Warranty is good as well - the US dealer just reimburses you. That's a $15,000 savings on the car.

bobby_lu
11-20-2007, 11:44 AM
PM her number so I can contact her directly.

If it had to be specifically a sedan without straying from that budget, and it had to be brand new from Canada, I would go for the TL.

Destinova403
11-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
A little lower then the budget but what about something like a Chrysler 300 or Cadillac CTS?

werd... the new CTS looks so nice, and has the performance and reliability to stand up to some bimmers and benz's. really a nice car... as far as a 300... i love the look to them... but they arent quite there on quality... you would have PLENTY of storage space and head room in one of those though.

Edit: it won car of the year too... as i said... really a very nice car

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/11/2008_cadillac_cts_wins_motor_t.html

Ashers
11-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Unfortunately... There is only one luxury sedan I can recommend... Mercedes-Benz S-Classen. :drool: I think its a little out of your budget though at ~120K. My dad has one and it is the most comfortable, well handling car I have ever driven. On the same note, have you checked out the E-Class? I think they run in the mid 40's.

Team_Mclaren
11-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Ashers
Unfortunately... There is only one luxury sedan I can recommend... Mercedes-Benz S-Classen. :drool: I think its a little out of your budget though at ~120K. My dad has one and it is the most comfortable, well handling car I have ever driven. On the same note, have you checked out the E-Class? I think they run in the mid 40's.

nice try. How did you get S-class into this..? And you cant even buy a C350 for 50g. let alone E..

Hey you know what beats out the S? Maybach :rolleyes:, too bad its a little out of your dad's budget, he shouldve got one

Ashers
11-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah... sorry about that... Kinda got mixed up on those prices there. In Canada the C Class starts at 41 g's, and the E Class starts at 68 g's. So those are out of the equation. I have heard good things about Lexus though, but I have never been in one.

And yeah, Maybach is nice... and expensive. And we didn't get our S class new... it was used, and way less than 120 g's.

jagguy
11-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Jaguar X-Type. All wheel drive, from $50K + GST :clap:

boxer23
11-20-2007, 01:09 PM
WAIT FOR THE HYUNDAI GENESIS:D :D :D :D

Stopthat
11-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jagguy
Jaguar X-Type. All wheel drive, from $50K + GST :clap:

are you kidding? that's pure garbage.
I'd only look around at the M35 or M45

turab16
11-20-2007, 01:16 PM
CTS 08 is the best of the best in its class,,,,, i work at a gm dealership, pm me to find out more details!

Team_Mclaren
11-20-2007, 01:18 PM
wow people, learn your car prices. Go on their website or whatever, you cant get a M35 for 50g. They start at 56 for a base model M35. stop pulling cars out of your ass and look at the actual budget here.

jagguy
11-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

You also can't go wrong with a Lexus GS of some kind, and you can buy a brand new Subaru Legacy GT Limited w/Nav for $29,444 USD any day of the week out of Seattle. Warranty is good as well - the US dealer just reimburses you. That's a $15,000 savings on the car.

Here's how the Subaru warranty works:

For warranty work, you must pay up front then seek re-imbursement from Subaru USA. Warranty shop rate re-imbursement is 1/3 - 1/2 of US shop rate (avg of about $80/hr) in US dollars. To expand on this: a 1 hour job at $109/hr plus GST would be re-imbursed at roughly US$33/hr without GST.

And as for the X-Type being "garbage", clearly you've not given it a proper go.

962 kid
11-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by turab16
CTS 08 is the best of the best in its class,,,,, i work at a gm dealership, pm me to find out more details!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

nice try. How did you get S-class into this..? And you cant even buy a C350 for 50g. let alone E..

Hey you know what beats out the S? Maybach :rolleyes:, too bad its a little out of your dad's budget, he shouldve got one

I think it's funnier that the S class is the best-handling car he's ever driven haha...

Dude I'd try and get her to look at the 08 Mercedes C300 or C350 (much preferable). The C350 is around the 50k mark (much less from the states of course) and imo is nicer than any of the cars mentioned in this thread, except Asher's S class of course.

And as for the X-Type being "garbage", clearly you've not given it a proper go.

The X-Type is a garbage car from a garbage company. Jaguar has a proud history of making some of the shittiest cars ever produced, and the X-Type fully lives up to that heritage.

Stopthat
11-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

I think it's funnier that the S class is the best-handling car he's ever driven haha...

Dude I'd try and get her to look at the 08 Mercedes C300 or C350 (much preferable). The C350 is around the 50k mark (much less from the states of course) and imo is nicer than any of the cars mentioned in this thread, except Asher's S class of course.

The X-Type is a garbage car from a garbage company. Jaguar has a proud history of making some of the shittiest cars ever produced, and the X-Type fully lives up to that heritage.

hahaha so true

ianmcc
11-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Need pics of your mom.

jagguy
11-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Strong words from a guy who champions disposable cars from a company that recycles design concepts from Hot Wheels.

962 kid
11-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Strong words from a guy who champions disposable cars from a company that recycles design concepts from Hot Wheels.

Since when were Mercedes/Porsche disposable cars? I don't get what you're saying, unless you're talking about my talon haha and I really don't even see where you're going with that. My car being a 17 year old POS made by a bad company doesn't make Jaguar/Ford any less of a shitty company ;)

HondaRice
11-20-2007, 02:07 PM
get used lexus.

culebra
11-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Town and Country if they are still making it :)

DonJuan
11-20-2007, 02:28 PM
If it has to be brand new. The fully loaded Charger/or 300 will fill most of the requirements for tall people, lots of luggage room, memory pedal height, seat adjustments, steering height, heated seats, nice looking interior, and be in the low to mid 40's. AWD is optional on all of em, and the V8 HEMI is also optional on all of em. And they have a SICK warranty. It's probably the best deal for your price range and your requirements. However the interior and general quality of the vehicle is questionable; especially the interior materials (feels really cheap, but looks good).

What would I recommend? A lightly used Lexus GS430. MUCH better, quality product. Although no AWD. Or a loaded New Loaded Maxima or G35X. Gotta pimp the Nissans!

X- type Jag is a Fusion with a an emblem. ABSOLUTE SHIT.

S- type Jag is almost in the same boat just has a SHITTY powertrain.

The only good Jags are the XJ and XK, and boy are they good!

ZorroAMG
11-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Hey Douche, what did you do, google jag, find this thread and sign up to bash 962kid?

I am willing to bet he's forgotten more about performance cars than you even know....judging by the fact that you drive a jag and a subaru, quality isn't exactly your priority....so what is? Defending your shitty choice in cars?

Thank you, come again.

Destinova403
11-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Hey Douche, what did you do, google jag, find this thread and sign up to bash 962kid?

I am willing to bet he's forgotten more about performance cars than you even know....judging by the fact that you drive a jag and a subaru, quality isn't exactly your priority....so what is? Defending your shitty choice in cars?

Thank you, come again.

Subaru's are VERY reliable cars... especially considering that they are AWD... check consumer reports

but yeah... it was kinda low... dont bash peoples rides... to each their own.

jagguy
11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Thank you, come again.

Yeah...actually it was all in good fun. I don't bash anybody's ride in earnest because folks take it to heart, as you found out. Further, I did not bash 962kid. He's probably a nice guy. And he may well know more about performance cars than I do.

You, on the other hand, perplex me. Your lack of knowledge of quality automobiles has put me off my lunch to the point that I won't waste my one opportunity of the day to tell somebody to Fuck Right Off.

So, my apologies to you, Kid, if you took offence to my comments...:whocares:

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2007, 05:55 PM

Yeah...actually it was all in good fun. I don't bash anybody's ride in earnest because folks take it to heart, as you found out. Further, I did not bash 962kid. He's probably a nice guy. And he may well know more about performance cars than I do.

You, on the other hand, perplex me. Your lack of knowledge of quality automobiles has put me off my lunch to the point that I won't waste my one opportunity of the day to tell somebody to Fuck Right Off.

When I drove a new X-type 3.0, the motor was about as refined as as a tractor's, and it squeaked/made noise over every bump we drove over. Had the same experience with the squeaking/structural noises in a brand new S-type and XJR. They also depreciate extremely fast. I'm not saying their shit, but they are certainly not up to the level of many other manufactures judging by the 3 brand new ones I drove. They also place last or close to it in the comparison tests in the magazines.

msommers
11-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey guys,

Lots of responses nice to see! I will definitely be passing along this information to her which I'm confident will help her narrow down.

Mitsu, thanks for brining up the US importation. I knew of this but totally slipped my mind.

Jaguar's history speaks for itself and considering the initial cost, it amazes me they are still in business.

Models don't HAVE to be 08' but I think 07' is the oldest she'd go.

Destinova403
11-20-2007, 07:51 PM
have you honestly considered any of the domestic offerings yet?

max_boost
11-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Go to Ask Leo if your mom wants help! haha

I recommend the Subaru Tribeca Limited. Import one from Carter Subaru in WA. Pay Invoice. No duty. Low maintenance. Great reliable SUV. :thumbsup:

Or

MB C300 or C350 if you want to spend around $55K. The car is absolutely stunning. N/C Sport package. HOT. :bigpimp:

My dad was inquiring the same thing and I told him to strongly consider those two vehicles.

Supa Dexta
11-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
When I drove a new X-type 3.0, the motor was about as refined as as a tractor's,

You haven't been in a nice tractor lately!

http://www.deere.com/en_AU/images/ag/tractors/7030_premium/7030_cab_142397.jpg

:love:

ZorroAMG
11-20-2007, 10:14 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What?

ScottysZ
11-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Ha guys, what about one of these!

http://www.cheryglobal.com/

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

You haven't been in a nice tractor lately!

http://www.deere.com/en_AU/images/ag/tractors/7030_premium/7030_cab_142397.jpg

:love:

Haha wow, that's not even half bad. It would be a pretty sweet winter vehicle.

Forkster
11-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Recommended options for a mom:

Nissan Maxima SE
Chev Impala SS V8 (but get it in the US and save $7000)
Ford Fusion SEL AWD
Toyota Camry XLE V6
Honda Accord V6
Volvo S60
BMW 325 (base)

Graham_A_M
11-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Try out an Acadia, or a Buick Enclave, both are just awesome looking cars, The Enclave interior is pretty damn hot. :bigpimp:

bagelsjustbagel
11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
YOU ARE DISGUSTING!!! GET A NEW MERCEDES C-CLASS SOO MUCH KIKC, ROOM and Styling (price is not bad at allll:thumbsup:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/cencalmb/2008CClass/2008CClassFrontSideSmall.jpg

dieselpower91
11-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I probably have a biased opinion but seriously go take a look at the 08' Cadillac CTS. 306hp all wheel drive available now.. Awesome gas mileage for a 300+ HP AWD midsize sedan.
The interior in the new CTS makes the last gen (like mine) look and feel like it's out of a Cavalier. :nut:

From what I remember gas mileage for the AWD 306hp one was around mid-20mpg city and mid-30mpg highway!

As Graham Mentioned as well.. Buick Enclave is pretty nice as well as the GMC Acadia. They are larger though, the Enclave seems to be the same length as a Tahoe.