PDA

View Full Version : Question about fuel

R!zz0
11-20-2007, 09:06 AM
On my Camry, when i go with 92 octane fuel, I end up getting 40-50 kms more per tank than i would with 87 octane. Why is that?

Supa Dexta
11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
It likes it a little better and runs slightly more efficiently?

However you have to take into account the extra $ it takes to fill with premium.. Likely more then 40kms a tank is worth. Perhaps try middle grade and see if you still retain the kms, and not spend the money..

R!zz0
11-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Maybe I should try mid grade next time I fill up.

Horatio
11-20-2007, 11:33 AM
could be that you have a knock sensor that is retarding timing with the lower grades and you lose a little power in that case.

Destinova403
11-20-2007, 12:06 PM
... on my prelude sometimes i used to cheap out and run the regular gas... and honestly there is no difference IMO to the fuel efficiency... i get the same distance out of a tank of either...

that said... its bad for the engine to run anything other than what it says you should... if the dar is supposed to run on regular... run regular... the engine is set up for it and will run better with it. running the higher gas doesnt always make the car run better.

hellraiser456
11-20-2007, 07:02 PM
the point of raising the octane is to prevent detonation. for most economy n/a cars...regular is fine. its when you start getting into high compression ratios or forced induction that calls the need.

R!zz0
11-21-2007, 01:37 AM
I'll give 87 another shot. If I lose few kms here and there wont matter I guess... as long as I save some cash.

JordanAndrew
11-21-2007, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403
... on my prelude sometimes i cheap out and run the regular gas... and honestly there is no difference IMO to the fuel efficiency... i get the same distance out of a tank of either...

that said... its bad for the engine to run anything other than what it says you should... if the dar is supposed to run on regular... run regular... the engine is set up for it and will run better with it. running the higher gas doesnt always make the car run better.

I wouldn't put regular gas on your car EVER if I were you. You will run the risk of misfires in the cylinders and experience more wear and tear.

Destinova403
11-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

I wouldn't put regular gas on your car EVER if I were you. You will run the risk of misfires in the cylinders and experience more wear and tear.

yeah... mostly i was just experimenting when i first got it. i only run prem now.

Jlude
11-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403

yeah... mostly i was just experimenting when i first got it. i only run prem now.

I put regular in my 86 prelude! hahaha

not in my 01... calls for premium... so that' what it gets... as for fuel consumption... the way I drive... it makes no difference.