PDA

View Full Version : Is This Electronic Body Fat Scale Accurate?

cdnsir
11-20-2007, 11:20 AM
I want to buy an electornic weight/BF scale, and I saw this one at Superstore. It claims that it uses a non-invasive method as opposed to the usual electric current way using a BIA measurement.

But I thought BIA and Body Fat Calipers are the best ways to figure out your body fat %. Do you think this scale will give out pretty decent readings?

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/HouseAndHome/ProductDetails.aspx/id/19060/name/P%C3%A8sepersonne%C3%A9lectroniqueaveccalculdegraissecorporelle/catid/312/type/2

icecreamvan
11-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Go with the Tanitas.

A790
11-21-2007, 07:37 AM
It doesn't give enough information to really gage if it's going to work well or not. Most body fat scales use as mild electrical current to determine your BFI, so I don't even know how this one would work.

icecreamvan
11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
They use a mild current that goes from one foot to your abdomen area then down the other foot, then estimates the upper body fat % using the a formula designed for the "average" person. Some machines have different settings depending on your activity level.

It's not accurate, and simple things like drinking a lot of water immediately before weighing can affect the calc.

cdnsir
11-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Well, I went there last night to see if there're more details on the box. And it's just as vague as the url I posted. Then I saw another one beside it made by Conair and branded as Weight Watchers... That one saids it uses Bio-Impedence right one the box, so I thought that's close enough.

Now reading icecreamvan's 2nd post, I wonder if it's the a half body estimate or not. :(

I'm 6" and 171 lbs (BMI of 23), and it's giving me a rating of 21% BF. I'm personally shocked at how fat I am from that! But by numbers you guys think that's a reasonable reading? I know it's hard to say because lots of other factors are invovled... But since I am on the top end on the "normal" BMI range, I guess this kinda makes sense.

www.conair.com/weight-watchers-electronic-body-hydration-scale-p-437.html - specs here are not that detailed neither

EDIT - fixed URL

icecreamvan
11-21-2007, 12:49 PM
It's just a form of comparison. As long as you're comparing measurements using the same scale, and not versus calipers etc, it should give you a rough idea of progress.

CLiVE
11-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
It's just a form of comparison. As long as you're comparing measurements using the same scale, and not versus calipers etc, it should give you a rough idea of progress.

Exactly. Don't take it as an accurate measure, but instead a measure to show progress. Measure yourself at the same time each day and not after you workout, or eat.

cdnsir
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Cool! Thx for all the advices man!

CLiVE
11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
As mentioned, go with a Tanita scale. Picked mine up at Fitness depot a few years ago.

broken_legs
11-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE
As mentioned, go with a Tanita scale.

:werd:

Exactly. Don't take it as an accurate measure, but instead a measure to show progress. Measure yourself at the same time each day and not after you workout, or eat.

:werd: X 2

icecreamvan
11-21-2007, 02:11 PM
It's cheaper to get a Tanita online btw. I bought mine at Fitness Depot, and found that I could've paid the same to get a slightly better model online. That was before Cdn$ got stronger.

cdnsir
11-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I wanted to cheap out on this one, that's why I had to go to Superstore... It's just so that I can use my points to redeem it. LOL

But yeah, the Weight Watcher one woulda cost me $60 anyways. At that price, I totally would have gone for a Tanitas if I had to pay cash. :)

A790
11-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Fitness Depot has scales in and around the $60 price point. I used to sell them.