PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Benz Service B Inspection

max_boost
11-20-2007, 01:43 PM
To Mercedes Benz owners, what does Service B actually entail? My GF asked them today and they said it's a 5 page book of maintenance. When she asked for examples the lady said they change the oil/filters/rotate tires, check control systems, air conditioning, the usual round of routine inspections. Cost is between $540-580! Now, usually there is an outline listing exactly what is done, MB doesn't want to reveal this info and expects me to just blindly hand over the $$$ hahaha

I don't want to come across as cheap but I don't feel like paying $500+ for a technician to spend 2 hours looking over my car and telling me everything is OK when everything should be. I didn't drive my car into a dump so I don't expect shit to fall apart after 15,000kms haha

The most important thing is the oil change which I can get done anywhere, just wondering if there are any other critical maintenance things that need to be done.

infected
11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
There should be a page in the manual that tells you what is done in Service A and B. I do everything myself so I don't bring it to the dealer for anything. You can do most of the things yourself.

ZorroAMG
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Orrrrrr, you could call instead of your girlfriend....just a thought. They won't give the run around to the actual owner, but the girlfriend, they won't usually be bothered...

Sounds sexist? It is....it's the car industry.

benyl
11-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Do MBs not come with scheduled free maintenance?

max_boost
11-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Orrrrrr, you could call instead of your girlfriend....just a thought. They won't give the run around to the actual owner, but the girlfriend, they won't usually be bothered...

Sounds sexist? It is....it's the car industry.

^^^

She went down in person to LoneStar. BTW, she's the one driving the car and was the one who went through the whole buying process, meeting the manager/service advisors etc. I just showed up to sign the papers. They wouldn't know who I am. Even my sales guy Dominic Wong didn't recognize me when I said hi to him haha He remembered the GF when I mentioned her name though haha :rofl:

Originally posted by benyl
Do MBs not come with scheduled free maintenance?

No. Maybe on the new ones?
:dunno:

benyl
11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I just looked it up. Looks like they stopped in 2004.

hmmm. Makes that E320 bluetec I want to test drive a little less appealing.

gram
11-20-2007, 05:26 PM
This was from lonestar:

Flexible Service System - B-Service
What we do:

Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models, and in S-Class and SL-Class models without the active charcoal filter
Replace windshield wiper inserts
Inspect and rotate tires
Lubricate and inspect throttle linkage
Ensure the parking brake, steering play, headlamps and exterior lamps, warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp wiper and washer systems, seat belts, and backrest lock (S-Class only) are functioning correctly
Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
Inspect front axle ball joints and Poly-V-belt
Check and correct all fluid levels
Reset your vehicle's FSS counter
*Model year 1998 through 2004 vehicles are equipped with the Flexible Service System (FSS)

gram
11-20-2007, 05:29 PM
If I remember correctly the oil change alone from Lonestar or Hyatt is about 230 bucks so it's a rip off but they stamp your owners manual that the service was done....pretty difficult to sell it later on without those stamps....it's all a scam but you may want to pay the crazy price for the service :(

SikAssR1
11-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by gram
This was from lonestar:

Flexible Service System - B-Service
What we do:

Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models, and in S-Class and SL-Class models without the active charcoal filter
Replace windshield wiper inserts
Inspect and rotate tires
Lubricate and inspect throttle linkage
Ensure the parking brake, steering play, headlamps and exterior lamps, warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp wiper and washer systems, seat belts, and backrest lock (S-Class only) are functioning correctly
Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
Inspect front axle ball joints and Poly-V-belt
Check and correct all fluid levels
Reset your vehicle's FSS counter
*Model year 1998 through 2004 vehicles are equipped with the Flexible Service System (FSS)

lol, for 500 plus dollars for that? Besides the oil change the rest is pretty much do it yourself or not needed.

bobby_lu
11-20-2007, 05:40 PM
just had it done recently on the ML, for about the same price ~500. And the A service is 3xx, just like BMW I and II.

Its just easier to do it there, get to know everything, then if you dont want to do all the stuff they find (ie. brakes, trans fluid), then get that done elsewhere.

But hey, 800 bucks over 30K (one A and one B service), compare that to a honda over 30K for 2 oil changes, 1 minor, 1 major, and youre not that far off.

Toms-SC
11-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Hahaha, just a way for dealers to bend you over. Guess they will continue to make you pay for that MB Badge.

KGB
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Labour rates for Honda or Vw for example are 105.00/hour approx i would imagine it would be a bit higher for higher end cars such as Mercedes or Bmw all in all not really that expensive. In the end it helps out to have a proper car history from a dealer when it comes to reselling it etc etc plus all the work they do should be covered by warranty for up to 1 year parts and labour.

20incheyes
11-20-2007, 06:36 PM

In the US they stopped in 2004, in Canada it was prior to 02 since on my 03 I paid for service.

I don't think MB Canada offered free services ever. With my limited car knowledge I presumed in the 80s or earlier BMW introduced it to gain market share. Once the 90s rolled around, Benz decided to offer it to keep up with BMW. (In the USA) Perhaps someone here can shed further light on this....

I've spread my money b/w Lonestar and Hyatt but Hyatt does charge me less on both A and B service. I won't get into my experiences b/w the two but every so often when I drop the car off at Hyatt, the shuttle driver chuckles when I tell him to drive me to work; in the automall.

:D :D :D

Aleks
11-20-2007, 06:36 PM
All scheduled maintenance should be free on higher end cars.

max_boost
11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by SikAssR1

lol, for 500 plus dollars for that? Besides the oil change the rest is pretty much do it yourself or not needed.

Exactly. I'll just get the oil changed and air filters replaced and keep a receipt for my records.

I have never taken my cars to the dealers for scheduled services, ever; only warranty issues (only once). I just take note of what is required for the maintenance intervals and get it done elsewhere. Haven't had any problems so far. Much cheaper and shorter wait time.

gram
11-20-2007, 07:55 PM
But what about your worn out wiper blades? That must be worth the extra $200...haha kidding

ZorroAMG
11-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Wow, that is really odd...why they wouldn't give her the info if she's the main driver is beyond me.

Actually, no, it's not beyond me, it's cause you are at lonestar.

Lonestar FTL. Call Hyatt and ask them...Talk to Jesse.

Ferio_vti
11-21-2007, 10:25 AM
How is Mercedes and their warranties and service?? I've heard of some luxury cars not honoring warranties if you don't get all service done at the dealer. Is this true or just a load from the dealer??

max_boost
11-21-2007, 02:35 PM
^^^

The dealer will honor the warranty if you can show them proof that you had the service done elsewhere. They will most likely be a bitch about it saying the service wasn't comprehensive enough or wasn't performed properly etc.

Well after some debating, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get things done at the dealer. It's expensive. Oh well. At least I'll get the dealer stamp to document proof of maintenance and it'll result in less hassles down the road if I decide to sell the car or have any warranty related issues.

$580 for service FTL. At least it's every 15,000-20,000kms

Now I'm just worried about the lot boy driving my car into a parking block or scraping it going over bumps because he doesn't realize how low it is :nut:

Xtrema
11-21-2007, 02:54 PM

hmmm. Makes that E320 bluetec I want to test drive a little less appealing.

That's why everyone is driving a BMW. Nothing but your 4yr lease payments, pretty cheap ownership for a luxury brand.

benyl
11-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

That's why everyone is driving a BMW. Nothing but your 4yr lease payments, pretty cheap ownership for a luxury brand.

werd. But the payment on a loaded E320 Bluetech is lower than a loaded 335. go figure.