PDA

View Full Version : Honda FCX Clarity

01RedDX
11-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Xtrema
11-20-2007, 10:42 PM
$600 lease only offered in cities with Honda hydrogen stations.

01RedDX
11-20-2007, 11:38 PM

Hash_man
11-21-2007, 12:52 AM
It's about time this technology hit the market more... Way better than hybrids IMO, and the only real solution to the fossil fuel issue that makes sense. Big ups to Honda.

ricoRA
11-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
$600 lease only offered in cities with Honda hydrogen stations.

Thats the problem with this technology, no standards, and its hard to mass produce because of the engineering tolerances that it requires. What's next Ford hydrogen stations only cars????

Any1 know of what the carbon footprint for producing one off these is, (compared to that of a traditional fossil fuel vehicle)?

A790
11-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Do any Canadian cities have hydrogen stations yet?
No.

CKY
11-23-2007, 02:47 PM
looks better than the civic

MilanoRedTeg
11-23-2007, 03:02 PM
how much would it cost to re-fuel a car like that on hydrogen at a Honda hydrogen station?

adam c
11-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Q. Why is the FCX Clarity only available in Southern California?
A. FCX Clarity owners currently need to reside in the Southern California area in order to have access to service and refueling. As the hydrogen supply infrastructure expands, Honda will make a greater number of FCX Clarity fuel cell vehicles available to the public. Learn more about Driving the FCX Clarity.

jdmXSI
11-23-2007, 03:23 PM
One Question: with Hydrogen being one of the most explosive molecules, i wonder what has Honda done to prevent a catastrophy in the event of a serious accident or a SoCo wild fire?:dunno:

Xtrema
11-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
One Question: with Hydrogen being one of the most explosive molecules, i wonder what has Honda done to prevent a catastrophy in the event of a serious accident or a SoCo wild fire?:dunno:

It's actually highly compressed liquid hydrogen.

There are some video on the refuel. If you don't lock it right fuel won't flow. Much like a NG vehicle and less dangerous than everyone thinks.

But the real test is how the fuel tank and refuel coupling last over time.

And if Canada were to get one, it'll probably be Vancouver because that's where the Honda fuel cell technology was sourced (Ballard) and they current do have a fleet of FCV Focus there.

jdmXSI
11-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Hmm good to know, I thought it would be like driving a pinto, you get hit you better run fast! lol

Zephyr
11-23-2007, 03:41 PM
http://www.cafcp.org/fuel-vehl_map.html

Cool, we can only drive around LA, and maybe make it to San Diego. Wow there's one in my city... interesting

01RedDX
11-23-2007, 04:04 PM

benyl
11-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
It's about time this technology hit the market more... Way better than hybrids IMO, and the only real solution to the fossil fuel issue that makes sense. Big ups to Honda.

Except for all the fossil fuel/coal/electricity used to produce the hydrogen.

01RedDX
11-24-2007, 02:24 AM

akumajack
11-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Sounds easy...

Xtrema
11-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Except for all the fossil fuel/coal/electricity used to produce the hydrogen.

Nuclear, geothermo, sun radiation, wave, hyrdo, wind

Basically, anything that create electricity and create hydrogen to power your car. Which is way better than the single source fossil fuel, oil.

The Cosworth
11-24-2007, 11:09 AM

Basically, anything that create electricity and create hydrogen to power your car. Which is way better than the single source fossil fuel, oil.

Geothermal need electrical to drive the pumps that typically comes from coal (92% in AB anyways)

Solar panels are very costly to build and very environmentally unfriendly to build, they are great once they a built though

Nuclear is good except for the waste

Wave is useless, one of my professors worked at the site in Ireland and said the frequency would fluctuate between 7 and 120 hertz and huge voltage spikes

Hydro is ok once it is set up but is DISASTROUS to the environment to damn, run of the river stuff is a little better.

and wind is ALMOST useless

My point isn't to shit on you but to say that these 'GREEN' things after some research aren't as green as everyone is touting

edit: I have to admit that they are better than coal fired plants though, so I guess a step in the right direction, but my point was that it is just a step not a solution

A790
11-24-2007, 11:09 AM

Okay, but no one is asking the important question:

How long until we have Hydrogen powered sports cars? :D

Hakkola
11-24-2007, 12:28 PM
That thing is ugly as fuck. I don't care how good it is for the environment, I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing.

Why can't they make nice looking cars that aren't so bad for the environment? They all look like they're been designed by retarded kids.

01RedDX
11-26-2007, 11:42 PM

benyl
11-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Nuclear power can also be used.

I am all for nuclear power... but it seem that our government is not.

My point still stands.

These solutions are great, but the engineers are looking at only the final solution and not how we get there, which is almost more important.

You can't make energy from nothing. Energy is also expended. Renewable sources are not renewable as something has got to give.

For instance, if Ethanol could be made without fossil fuels, we would run out of arable land. Farmers already have this problem where the land has lots fertility. What do they use? Fertilizers? What are those made from? Fossil fuels.

tentacles
11-27-2007, 11:58 AM
FYI, commercial hydrogen is produced directly from natural gas, most importantly as a by-product of the Haber process used to produce industrial ammonia, not electrolysis.

Zero102
12-05-2007, 03:02 AM
It's ugly and it has a short range and is lacking in the power department, but it is a massive step in the right direction.
The guys on Top Gear have it right, think about it this way, the power cell in that car can basically power all of the houses on your street, mighty impressive. It produces 100kw of power, that is nothing to laugh at. Converting electrical energy to horsepower that is ~135hp which is decent but with electric cars (like diesels) its not the HP you will care about, it's the torque and unfortunately they don't seem to have published that number.

I think it's an amazing car and if there were a fueling station around here I would be happy to drive one, although I feel the $600/month pricetag is a little bit heavy I think this is a necessary step. Efficiency will continue to improve and consequently so will power and range. Big thumbs up to honda on this one!

Xtrema
12-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by brendankharris

My point isn't to shit on you but to say that these 'GREEN' things after some research aren't as green as everyone is touting

I understand everything has a downside.

But the idea is that we spend a lot of money to gather a resource that's finite. We can probably spend the same amount of money to gather a resource that's close to infinite - or until we have to get off this rock called earth.

Bang for the buck, nuclear is the best option. But the public image is still very bad for nuclear energy.

bspot
12-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Lease only reeks of GM's EV1 program all over again...

sputnik
12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
The only downside I see is that Hydrogen cars emit water vapour which is the most prevalent greenhouse gas in our atmosphere.

It is nice for the pollution or smog factor but does nothing for global warming.

bspot
12-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
The only downside I see is that Hydrogen cars emit water vapour which is the most prevalent greenhouse gas in our atmosphere.

It is nice for the pollution or smog factor but does nothing for global warming.

Water vapor in the upper atmosphere: Yes

Water vapor at the earth's surface: No big deal.

I really doubt these kick out much more water vapor than your internal combustion engine already does anyways.

90_Shelby
12-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I am all for nuclear power... but it seem that our government is not.

My point still stands.

These solutions are great, but the engineers are looking at only the final solution and not how we get there, which is almost more important.

You can't make energy from nothing. Energy is also expended. Renewable sources are not renewable as something has got to give.

For instance, if Ethanol could be made without fossil fuels, we would run out of arable land. Farmers already have this problem where the land has lots fertility. What do they use? Fertilizers? What are those made from? Fossil fuels.

And another problem with ethanol being made from grain. What happens when the price of grain sky rockets due to demand for cars considering that grain is a staple food source. Think how expensive flour could become and think what would happen in third world countries when it's more profitable to export grain to be turned into ethanol as opposed to feeding the hungry in their own country.