PDA

View Full Version : Importing a Vehicle through Alberta then registering it in BC

Sailz
11-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Ok I have now officially purchased and got shipped a 2005 Nissan Xterra Offroad edition 4x4. The dealership is having it shipped to me from Indiana to my home in Montana. I will be back at home in Alberta over Xmas and plan on bringing it across the border then. My questions are if I bring it across the border in Alberta then drive it back home to BC and get the federal inspection and OOP inspection will I be required to pay BC PST? If so what ways are there around this?

Thanks

benyl
11-20-2007, 08:35 PM
you will likely have to pay for it when you register it.

Team_Mclaren
11-20-2007, 08:56 PM
not sure about pst, but you can cross the boarder into AB and have the car register in BC, following all BC regulations.

The Cosworth
11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
pst will need to be paid unless it can be proven that you were a resident of a province that doesnt have pst (alberta) for the 60 days prior and after purchasing the vehicle.

Trust me I tried to buy my car in AB before I moved out here

Sailz
11-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
pst will need to be paid unless it can be proven that you were a resident of a province that doesnt have pst (alberta) for the 60 days prior and after purchasing the vehicle.

Trust me I tried to buy my car in AB before I moved out here

Goddamn Govt getting their hands in my pocket 3 fold on this one! Paying Indiana state tax, GST and PST and then all the other bullshit fees for importing!

Team_Mclaren
11-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Sailz

Goddamn Govt getting their hands in my pocket 3 fold on this one! Paying Indiana state tax, GST and PST and then all the other bullshit fees for importing!

why did u pay state tax?

Sailz
11-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

why did u pay state tax?

Its state law in Indiana

benyl
11-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Then don't buy it in Indiana... hahaha

There are plenty of states where you get it tax free.

Illinois, Montana, Washington... etc.

Sailz
11-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Then don't buy it in Indiana... hahaha

There are plenty of states where you get it tax free.

Illinois, Montana, Washington... etc.

And I pay 2-3k more.

Team_Mclaren
11-20-2007, 09:29 PM
that better be one hell of a deal. if you save even after you pay states tax + GST + duty + shipping + PST + inspections RIV fee + AC Fee etc haha, thats alot of "fees" for alot of people

Sailz
11-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
that better be one hell of a deal. if you save even after you pay states tax + GST + duty + shipping + PST + inspections RIV fee + AC Fee etc haha, thats alot of "fees" for alot of people

I dont pay duty. The Xterras are manufactured in Tennessee.

Repofspeed
11-21-2007, 07:45 PM
You don't get charged PST until you register the car with insurance with ICBC.

Sailz
11-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah I know but I'm saving over $5000/year insuring it in BC....yes I said $5000