PDA

View Full Version : first winter in calgary, a couple questions

5G_celica
11-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I just moved over her from vancouver, so I'm not use to snow on the ground that lasts over a couple days.

I have a couple questions (sorry if this has been mentioned before I couldn't really find anything through the searches)

when should I start pucing my car in. I bought a car here and it has a plug (I assume it's a block heater or something along that line)

is there something I should do to keep my car from rusting? I really don't want my car to start rusting.

and after driving in yesterdays snow fall I realize I need snowtires, can any one suggest what brand and where I can get a good set.

and if you guys see a white cadillac catera going 60 on the deerfoot that's prolly me... cause driving in the snow scares the bajesus out of me..

thanks

JRSC00LUDE
11-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't usually plug mine in till about -15 or more.

If you don't want your car to rust, wash the salt off regularly when it's warmer out and especially if you have heated parking.

Should be lots of searchable info. on tires.

G-ZUS
11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Michelin X-Ice are pretty good

frozenrice
11-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Don't waste your time and money. Take the bus. After one or two winters here, you'll probably move back to Vancouver anyways. I've never know anyone from Vancouver that has lasted more than 2-3years out here.

j/k

icecreamvan
11-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Make sure to give bad drivers the finger. Calgarians respond better to that.

Toms-SC
11-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Winter tires

5G_celica
11-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Don't waste your time and money. Take the bus. After one or two winters here, you'll probably move back to Vancouver anyways. I've never know anyone from Vancouver that has lasted more than 2-3years out here.

j/k

hahaahha... after getting caught in the snowfall last night with allseasons, and a rear wheel drive I was thinking the same thing.
the worse thing was that I know it's suppose to get worse....

we'll have to see how long I last until I run back to the rain and hippies

teggypimp95
11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
You will get use to the winter driving. Always at the begining of the season its a tad scary. Once gravel is on the road its also a little better.

I would go with some snow tires to make it better for you. They do make a big difference. Head down to comtemporary motor sports in T & T honda. I believe they have a winter tire sale going on right now. Once the winter really hits the snow will pack to the roads, thats when its gets very slippery. Just leave lots of time for braking. You will be having fun, pulling e-brake slides in no time lol.

As for the block heater. I usually only plug mine in if your parking out side and its -25 or less. But every car is differnt.

For rust, your car wont rust in one winter. But that salt sure is not good on the paint. If your able to, do it your self or take it to a detailing shop to get a good coat of wax and a sealent on it. This will help protect it from the salt. Also like mentioned above, on days that its not tooo cold, head to the car wash and just give it a good spray. Im anal about this stuff myself.

ZC_CIVIC
11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
put a bra on your car....they put way to much gravel with big stones on the road....chips the shit outta your hood and bumper cover

asp integra
11-21-2007, 01:42 PM
go talk to bob at urban expressions, he can set u up with some good winter tires at good prices, talk to him, hes the best guy in town to ask

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by ZC_CIVIC
put a bra on your car....they put way to much gravel with big stones on the road....chips the shit outta your hood and bumper cover

Bra's wear out the paint. If your serious about rock chips, get the 3m clear over it. It's a permanent, clear bra. Costs a little more, but well worth it in Calgary IMO.

teggypimp95
11-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Yeah a bra will cause more damage than protect. Salt and sand/gravel get caught between the bra and your paint and it will put a ton of scratches and make your paint very dull. 3m works great, protects well and stays in good shape if you wax it often as well. Only needs replacing like every 4 years if it starts to look beat up or sun faded.

5G_celica
11-21-2007, 02:38 PM
well my hood is already chipped to hell, so I'm gonna get through this winter and get it repainted next summer and proly put on the 3m mask.

hope I can get some winter tires on by the end of next week...

I guess until then I'll hit up a empty parking lot and see what I can and can't do in the snow.

another stupid question... where would I pick up some sand bags to put in my trunk. does home depot or places like that carry sand bags?

teggypimp95
11-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Home depot might?

If you want winter to be much MUCH easyer for you, get a car for winter that is front wheel drive.

5G_celica
11-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
Home depot might?

If you want winter to be much MUCH easyer for you, get a car for winter that is front wheel drive.

Ideally that would be the way to go, but unfortunatly my last position as a student didn't pay too well, so most my money is spent on getting settle and student loans..

so this is the way I have to go until I can afford something another car.

anyways I live near downtown and walk to work so I don't have to drive too much.

Stopthat
11-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
go talk to bob at urban expressions, he can set u up with some good winter tires at good prices, talk to him, hes the best guy in town to ask

he's very good.

teggypimp95
11-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 5G_celica

Ideally that would be the way to go, but unfortunatly my last position as a student didn't pay too well, so most my money is spent on getting settle and student loans..

so this is the way I have to go until I can afford something another car.

anyways I live near downtown and walk to work so I don't have to drive too much.

Yeah i hear ya. Well use transit or walking when you can, and since you are rear wheel drive, some sand bags and some good quality winter tires or even studded winter tires will do you wonders.