PDA

View Full Version : Tire storage after putting on Winter tires

urban.one
11-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Ive lived in Quebec and experienced their harsh winters and have honestly never considered getting winter tires before and have never had a problem with all seasons only.

But somehow here in Calgary everyone seems to love their winter tires and is crashing like mad without them.

This has gotten me to consider picking up some winter tires.

Problem is that I have very limited storage space.

Where do you keep your summer wheels/tires over the winter?

Schwa
11-21-2007, 12:04 PM
I stack them in the corner of my garage

teggypimp95
11-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Just stack them in the corner, But i bag each one, and put carpet between each one and between them and the floor to help to prevent moisture. BUT if you have high performaces strickly summer tires, You NEED to store them at room Temperature to prevent the cold from breaking down the compounds in your tires.

syeve
11-21-2007, 12:23 PM
^^yep, do not keep summer tires in your garage unless it is heated, they will crack in extreme cold

89s1
11-21-2007, 12:27 PM
my drag radials are in the basement :)

Supa Dexta
11-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Summers are in the garage this yr, but when I had just an apartment they sat in a corner, where they weren't in the way... Kind of by my tv.. :rofl:

topmade
11-21-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443283745&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077&bmUID=1195671394140

Yes, I do a lot of shopping at Crappy tire :thumbsup:

88CRX
11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by syeve
^^yep, do not keep summer tires in your garage unless it is heated, they will crack in extreme cold

Really.... I've never heard this before and i've always stored my tires in the garage.

Our garage is insulated so it doesn't get too cold in it :dunno:

Supa Dexta
11-21-2007, 01:10 PM
why would they crack? Do the ones on your car out at the curb crack? on the rim, or off? I can't see it mattering.. I call bs, I've never had any issues on any type of vehicle in non heated storage or even sitting outside.. tires crack from old age and drying out..

syeve
11-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Call bs...I had a set of $$$ bridgestones in my friends garage (un-attached) over this past winter. The compound is so soft that they actually froze and cracked. Threw them in the garbage.

bobby_lu
11-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Call bs...I had a set of $$$ bridgestones in my friends garage (un-attached) over this past winter. The compound is so soft that they actually froze and cracked. Threw them in the garbage.

How do I find out if specific tires should be stored at room temperature, or any Z rated tire?

More specifically, Dunlop SP Sport 2000E

Impreza
11-21-2007, 01:20 PM
What tires were the bridgestones? Were they something like max performance tires like RE050 or something more like RE-01R?

TomcoPDR
11-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
why would they crack? Do the ones on your car out at the curb crack? on the rim, or off? I can't see it mattering.. I call bs, I've never had any issues on any type of vehicle in non heated storage or even sitting outside.. tires crack from old age and drying out..

Tirebob where are you???

I THINK (could be wrong) reason why the ones ON your vehicle don't crack in cold weather it's cuz you're constantly using it (driving), which keeps the rubber flexible and heat (driving creates friction, friction creates heat)

Ever put elastic band in one spot without ever using it? (but it's brand new)... Yet at the same time an elastic band being used constantly still maintains it's flexiblity and durability.

Anyways, ask Tirebob (hope he'll know)

kaput
11-21-2007, 01:27 PM

lint
11-21-2007, 01:28 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires-techpage-1/30.shtml

Tires are subjected to one of the harshest environments experienced by any consumer product. In addition to being stretched millions of times as they roll through their life, tires are exposed to acid rain, brake dust, harsh chemicals and direct sunlight, as well as summer's heat and winter's cold. And while a tire's rubber compounds have anti-aging chemicals in their recipes, exposure to the elements will eventually cause rubber to lose some of its elasticity and allow surface cracks to appear.

The surface cracks that occasionally appear have been called many things; Weather Checking, Weather Cracking or Ozone Cracking. These small cracks typically develop in the sidewalls or at the base of the tread grooves. Depending on their severity, they may be cosmetic in nature if they don't extend past the rubber's outer surface, or may be a reason to replace the tire if they reach deep into the rubber.

Because all tires are made of rubber, all tires will eventually exhibit some type of cracking condition, usually late in their life. However, this cracking can be accelerated by too much exposure to heat, vehicle exhaust, ozone and sunlight, as well as electric generators and motors (that have armature brushes). For example, a vehicle parked outside instead of in a garage will constantly expose its tires to the rays of the sun, increasing the likelihood of cracking. Additionally, some sidewall cracking has been linked to abrasion from parking against a curb, or the excessive use of tire cleaners/dressings that inadvertently remove some of the tire's anti-oxidants and anti-ozone protection during every cleaning procedure. Interestingly enough, when sun exposure or excessive cleaning is the cause of the small cracks, the sidewall of the tire facing outward will show damage, while the sidewall facing inward is rarely affected.

The anti-aging chemicals used in the rubber compounds are more effective when the tire is "exercised" on a frequent basis. The repeated stretching of the rubber compound actually helps resist cracks forming. The tires used on vehicles that are driven infrequently, or accumulate low annual mileage are more likely to experience cracking because long periods of parking or storage interrupt "working" the rubber. In addition to being an annoyance to show car owners, this condition often frustrates motor home and recreational vehicle owners who only take occasional trips and cannot even park their vehicle in a garage or shaded area. Using tire covers at least minimizes direct exposure to sunlight.

Tire manufacturers' warranties typically cover cracking for a period of 4 years from the date the tire was purchased (receipt for the new tires or in-service date of the vehicle required) or four years from the date the tire was manufactured.

There are a few conditions that would possibly void the manufacture's coverage. The same types of cracks can also be caused by poor tire maintenance practices. Driving on a tire that was flat, or one that was underinflated or overloaded causes excessive stretching of the rubber compound, and may result in cracks that appear similar to the surface cracks mentioned above. The manufacturers' warranty might not apply if an interior inspection of the tire clearly indicates that the cracks were due to these conditions.

403Gemini
11-21-2007, 01:31 PM

:thumbsup: Heated garage ftw! Nothing like changing my tires in my t-shirt with snow on the ground outside haha i wore a hoodie thinkin i was gonna get cold. nope!:thumbsup:

bobby_lu
11-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Slightly off topic but whats the price difference between buying steelies for your winters vs. having them remount them on the summer wheels?

Also, if I buy winters this year and sell my car in the summer for something else with a different bolt pattern, how likely is it that I will be able to either get some sort of adapter or else remount the same tires on a different wheel that does fit the new car? I can't really afford to piss away the money on winters and just give them away with the car if I sell in the spring.

The difference would be the price of the steelies :poosie:

i prefer to have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires, especially if you run bigger, wider, or even offset wheels in the summer.

syeve
11-21-2007, 01:33 PM
They were 050's. I don't want to creat panic, these tires were in their second season. I personally would never keep summer tires in that extreme cold again. Im sure, even an attached garage would be ok.

Annoyingrob
11-21-2007, 09:59 PM
hmm, suddenly I'm rethinking keeping my summers out in my back yard.

I suppose it's time to bring them into the basement.

Numi
11-21-2007, 11:09 PM
i got a set of nexen n3000 tires sitting on a shelf near the roof of my garage the garage is not heated but is insulated. Do you recomend that i should bring them into the house or will they be alright over winter?

Impreza
11-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Shit... my summers are mounted ON my car in the garage that is not heated... hmm.... I also have a set of RE050's sitting in my garage for 2years now... lol

dustin7077
11-22-2007, 12:19 AM
I might be able to help you out i work at Kal-tire and as long as they are in a dry place they should be just fine :) i don't see how could would do anything anyways we storage tire's out side in the winter and they are just fine

syeve
11-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Numi
i got a set of nexen n3000 tires sitting on a shelf near the roof of my garage the garage is not heated but is insulated. Do you recomend that i should bring them into the house or will they be alright over winter?

I's sure they are fine, it would never get to -40 in there.

djrocketodd
11-22-2007, 11:01 AM
I personally havent had a problem, however i havent had many high end summer only tires. Make them into a coffee table for the winter.. being a student FTW!