PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to the U of L in September???

2.2vtec
07-16-2003, 06:38 PM
just seeing if anyone is going?? If anyone on here is going what are you taking and what have you heard about the calgary campus??

I just got admitted to finance but not too sure if I should go

ramminghard
07-16-2003, 08:31 PM
i know lots of people going.

Wildcat
07-16-2003, 09:34 PM
im goin, my first year, stayin on residence, cant wait :poosie:

ninjak84
07-16-2003, 10:26 PM
That school is a dump. I wasted a year there, and I'm never going back.

Shaolin
07-16-2003, 10:40 PM
it's my 2nd year at the Calgary Campus, if you can stand night classes 6pm to 9pm, you'll like it here.. it's pretty good, alot of transfer students from the U of C and MRC, as well as alot of SAIT graduates... There's not many courses offered (options wise) but you can major in Accounting, General and Finance at this time so it isn't bad if you're into commerce. it's like a small town basically, you meet lots of new people and chances are you'll know someone that will be in the same class as you.

if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

but u have to dont u??

2.2vtec
07-16-2003, 11:36 PM

Can you elaborate?? Do the teachers suck or how is it a dump?

ninjak84
07-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
Can you elaborate?? Do the teachers suck or how is it a dump?

I can't really speak for the whole school....
All I can say is that their science department is brutal. The guidance counsellor doesn't have a clue, and the professor's don't give you any support when you need it. At U of L, each department has their own counsellor, professor's, etc.... Just as long as you aren't taking science, you should be fine.
I've heard of people having amazing success with the U of L business and economy classes though.
And the U of L library is amazing.... I found it to be the nicest Library I've ever been inside.

I would recommend talking to people who have been there longer than me, who have more experience with the school. My own experience was terrible, but there's 17,000 other people that went to school there!
Ask around!

Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
but u have to dont u??

Nope :)
I'm finishing my pre-req's "elsewhere". Thanks for calling me you fag!

max_boost
07-17-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
it's my 2nd year at the Calgary Campus, if you can stand night classes 6pm to 9pm, you'll like it here.. it's pretty good, alot of transfer students from the U of C and MRC, as well as alot of SAIT graduates... There's not many courses offered (options wise) but you can major in Accounting, General and Finance at this time so it isn't bad if you're into commerce. it's like a small town basically, you meet lots of new people and chances are you'll know someone that will be in the same class as you.

if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Did you do the transfer program for Bachelor of Management? If so, how do you like it? What is your major? Almost done?

I'm going to be finished SAIT in December and seriously considered doing the night class thing. But I can't see myself going to two years of evening classes. And my time is running up with the folks, next year is going to be my 4th in post secondary and they expect to see a degree by June. I wasted 2 years at U of C so I am in a major rush. I'm going to do the correspondence through Athabasca.

Anyway, my buddy is going into his 5th year of Economics/Marketing, he speaks highly of the institution. I am sure you will enjoy your time down there.

Shaolin
07-17-2003, 10:04 AM
max, I did the same, i wasted a year and a half in computer science and transferred to management, but only got a 3.05 so i couldn't get into the the faculty and transferred to U of L. I have 14 courses left so I'll be done in 3 semesters.. I'm liking it though, I'm looking for a full time job as well in my field so It totally works out.. I'm majoring in Finance btw.

ninjak84
07-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Management at U of L is a wicked program.
It's what the school is known for, and the professor's are great for it.

As for night classes, I liked them alot. Most run from 6pm-9pm, and you get a break halfway through. With night classes though, they usually end a little bit early, so if you have any questions, you can get things cleared up right away.

Wildcat
07-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Management at U of L is a wicked program.
It's what the school is known for, and the professor's are great for it.

As for night classes, I liked them alot. Most run from 6pm-9pm, and you get a break halfway through. With night classes though, they usually end a little bit early, so if you have any questions, you can get things cleared up right away.

awesome, im doing general management next year :thumbsup:

i heard U of L takes alot of willpower if you want things to get done (especially if your on res), ive just been told its the biggest party school ever :dunno:

Shaolin
07-17-2003, 12:13 PM
you know you can do a general management degree in calgary campus too right?

Wildcat
07-17-2003, 05:45 PM
you know you can do a general management degree in calgary campus too right?

yup, but thats no fun... id probly drop out just because of the commute and living with my parents. University is supposed to be a remembered experiance is it not? :dunno:

Kamen
07-17-2003, 06:56 PM
What does U of L stand for?
I really don't know...:dunno:

Shaolin
07-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Yeah you're right, I guess it priorities are also different for everyone.. to each their own :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Wildcat

yup, but thats no fun... id probly drop out just because of the commute and living with my parents. University is supposed to be a remembered experiance is it not? :dunno:

T5_X
07-17-2003, 09:29 PM

I can't really speak for the whole school....
All I can say is that their science department is brutal. The guidance counsellor doesn't have a clue, and the professor's don't give you any support when you need it. At U of L, each department has their own counsellor, professor's, etc.... Just as long as you aren't taking science, you should be fine.

Absolutly not. Trust me, I felt the exact same way you did after my 1st year, but you would feel the same if not worse at any other university. The U of L treats you less like a number than any university in western canada. I'm so glad UBC required calculus after 1st year , otherwise I would have transfered there after my first year.

To everyone else, the science department at the U of L is not shit, I'm starting my 4th year next year, it is without a doubt the best place in canada to get a Bsc in neuroscience.

Phats
07-17-2003, 09:46 PM
I like the school, I am talking Management Information Systems there and I find it good, sometimes in the lectures, more for the first year classes, you can feel a bit like a number but in the labs for sure you know your teacher, and there is no problem getting them for help

2.2vtec
07-18-2003, 12:07 AM
I think I'm heading into finance, anyone in that at the calgary campus?

2.2vtec
07-18-2003, 12:47 AM
max, I did the same, i wasted a year and a half in computer science and transferred to management, but only got a 3.05 so i couldn't get into the the faculty and transferred to U of L. I have 14 courses left so I'll be done in 3 semesters.. I'm liking it though, I'm looking for a full time job as well in my field so It totally works out.. I'm majoring in Finance btw.

I got a 3.3 gpa transferring to the University of Calgary but they didn'nt let in cause the cutoff was 3.4 or something so that's why I'm decieding to go to U of L. I want my degree quick and don't want to spend all my life in school!

ZorroAMG
07-18-2003, 02:02 AM
LOL...looks like I wasn't alone....I had a low GPA at UofC, too much party, not enough study....transferred to UofL for management. It was a great school, the teachers rocked, you actually had them call you by name, you weren't just a number. I partied like a motherfucker there but the good thing was that all my friends were students, no lazy asses like I knew here. Basically, if I had to study or a project to do, so did all my friends...will power plays a bit of a roll because you are on your own, no parents to nag, but I found that helped me the most. My last semester was the most difficult, I had 3 finance classes, one HR and was doing my CSC at the same time. I finished thatsemester with a 3.65 and I don't think I had as much work to do or partied so much in my whole university career, yet I had my best semester...I attribute that to the teachers in a huge way. UofL gave me a much better education than I would have received at UofC. I would not change my decision if i could. Good luck to all my fellow UofL'ers this year :) Stay away from club 54 LOL

2.2vtec
07-18-2003, 09:53 AM
hey zorroamg have you graduated yet? Does anyone else know someone that has graduated and is now working in there field at a good paying job?

ZorroAMG
07-18-2003, 10:51 AM
LOL I graduated in Dec. 2002. I had jobs straight outta U. I was in commercial real estate, new residential condo sales, now I am a mortgage broker at RBC Royal Bank. Most of my friends that graduated from UofL Management have good jobs right now. Work hard and so will you!

R-Audi
07-18-2003, 11:55 AM
I will be going down for my fourth year in september, and I love it. Like anything else, it is as much fun as you make it. If you are in management, be sure to get involved in the MSS events, most of them are shitshows. I am involved in orgainzing them, so be sure to come out. We will be holding some pretty fun frosh week events, which will help you get to know lethbridge, and people in the faculty. If you have any questions about mngt stuff, send me a pm or email.

Mark

LUDELVR
07-18-2003, 02:24 PM
I was there for three years and got my degree there... also woke up in some girl's res room once and had no idea how I got there!! :dunno: was fun though!!

ZorroAMG
07-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Some little first year boy's room you mean? :D

Wildcat
07-19-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Some little first year boy's room you mean? :D

shiat, i better watch my back for lethbridge dudelvr's then! :rofl: jk

ZorroAMG
07-19-2003, 01:41 AM
Watch your back SIDE to be more specific!