PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is with Crowchild this morning?

Annoyingrob
11-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Sorry if this is a repost, but I didn't see any threads on it.

They had 2 lanes closed from The Regiment Museum all the way to 17th. All I saw was the occasional cop car in the lanes, and then a whole bunch of news cameras. Why did they close it down for such a HUGE stretch.

Took me forever to get down Crowchild this morning.

benyl
11-22-2007, 02:12 PM
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/A/20071122/safety?brand=generic&hub=&tf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.html&cf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.cfg&slug=safety&date=20071122&archive=CFCNPlus&ad_page_name=&nav=home&subnav=fullstory&site_cfcn=http://calgary.ctv.ca

avow
11-22-2007, 02:14 PM
EDIT: beat me to it :P

pretty fucking dumb thing to do at such a time if you ask me.

Annoyingrob
11-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by avow
pretty fucking dumb thing to do at such a time if you ask me.

Haha, yeah. I was like. "There's NO way they would intentionally close off 2 lanes of crowchild at this time of day on a weekday". I guess apperantly they would.

Supa Dexta
11-22-2007, 02:35 PM
"Organizers then had a semi truck drive by at 100 kilometres per hour"

you should have followed that guy..^ :dunno:

rc2002
11-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Quoted for future reference:

POSTED AT 12:15 PM Thursday, November 22

Emergency crews brought Crowchild Trail to a crawl Thursday morning in an effort to educate the public about worker safety on roadways.

It’s part of a safety awareness program called Give Us Room to Work.

The Give Us Room to Work committee is comprised of personnel from Police, Fire, EMS, and tow truck services in Alberta.

Crews set up a roadside stop to demonstrate the risks involved when responding to roadside scenes.

Organizers then had a semi truck drive by at 100 kilometres per hour demonstrate just how dangerous it can be on the side of the road.

Officials want to reduce the risk of injury and death to emergency crews when they are responding to a scene.

The committee is asking motorists to slow down as they pass any roadside incident, even if it is only a speeding violation.

That simple act could prevent serious injuries or even death.

The demonstration ended at noon.

Pretty sure they could've done it on a less busy roadway at a better time of the day. That would've ruined my day - glad I didn't take Crowchild today.

403Gemini
11-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
"Organizers then had a semi truck drive by at 100 kilometres per hour"

you should have followed that guy..^ :dunno:

willing to bet that was on the closed off area

Honestly why would they do it at:
a.) during morning rush hour?
b.) a road so prone to bottlenecking/getting backed up
and lastly
c.) on a freaking weekday?!

BrknFngrs
11-22-2007, 02:41 PM
has there actually been a significant amount of deaths to emergency workers on roadsides? I don't remember hearing about it in a long time, yet they still rely on this argument to justify causing unnecessary hassle for everyone else, like this bogus demonstration.

joyridder
11-22-2007, 02:50 PM
It is stupid, but the point of it all is to remind every driver, that accidents can happen at any time, day, week, even during morning rush hour....so just be cautious~:dunno:

Splooge
11-22-2007, 02:54 PM
where exactly was this on Crowchild? I take the Crow every day to get to work Southbound to 17th Ave SW via 24th St.

Destinova403
11-22-2007, 02:57 PM
wow... i was expecting like some massive accident or somthing... it was gay didnt see anything... it took me fucking 30 mins to get through that and an hour to get to the uni today... it was gay.

zipdoa
11-22-2007, 03:36 PM
off-topic:

i see your supra on crowchild all the time.

Mr_ET
11-22-2007, 03:47 PM
excuse my French but what a bunch of f**king idiots!!!

The only thing that will have achieved was get people pissed about the whole situation.

:thumbsdow

kaput
11-22-2007, 04:11 PM

rage2
11-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Who wants to close off 2 lanes of crowchild with me tomorrow to see in person how safe it is to drive at 200km/h?

Seriously, if they think it's safe enough for a semi to be going over the speed limit on crowchild during rush hour with other cars around, then the speed limit is way the fuck too low.

TegLover
11-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Seriously, if they think it's safe enough for a semi to be going over the speed limit on crowchild during rush hour with other cars around, then the speed limit is way the fuck too low.

and this whole campaign this morning was fucking useless, i saw it this morning but i was going southbound, what a cluster fuck.

Yesterday at around 7pm Northbound crowchild was fucked up as well. I was like fuck this and I turned around and went back to school. Anyone know what was going on?

403Gemini
11-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Who wants to close off 2 lanes of crowchild with me tomorrow to see in person how safe it is to drive at 200km/h?

ILL JOIN YOU!!! :D

avow
11-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by TegLover

Yesterday at around 7pm Northbound crowchild was fucked up as well. I was like fuck this and I turned around and went back to school. Anyone know what was going on?
that one was an accident. i got stuck in it too :(

TorqueDog
11-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Seriously, if they think it's safe enough for a semi to be going over the speed limit on crowchild during rush hour with other cars around, then the speed limit is way the fuck too low. I've maintained for a long time that there are a couple stretches on Crowchild that 100 KM/H isn't unreasonable anyway.

Redlyne_mr2
11-22-2007, 10:59 PM
CPS is honeslty one of the most idiotic police organizations in Alberta... who the hell closes a main freeway in the morning to run some tests for the media... I couldnt believe that when I saw it.

One man called in to the radio stating :"thanks alot for the delay this morning guys, because of the slow down I ended up having to speed to get where I was going afterwards".

SilverBoost
11-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I've maintained for a long time that there are a couple stretches on Crowchild that 100 KM/H isn't unreasonable anyway.

yeah, like the stretch between the beginning and the end.

It's 3 lanes for most of it for fuck sakes. And this test, well it had dipshit management idea written all over it. I hope that ass clown that thought that one up earned an employee of the fucking month plaque.

But I digress, I given up hope that Calgary has any clue what it's doing when it comes to traffic and traffic law enforcement.

kenny
11-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Bitch all you want, but they got everyones attention! With all this exposure, hopefully more people know to slowdown when passing emergency vehicles on the side of the road :thumbsup:

Someone should call in the semi trucks plate to CPS to report wreckless driving. There is plenty of video evidence of the truck speeding down a single lane with emergency vehicles adjacent to it.

Godfuader
11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
...One man called in to the radio stating :"thanks alot for the delay this morning guys, because of the slow down I ended up having to speed to get where I was going afterwards".
:werd: Glad I wasn't stuck in this BS, but its true I would have (as im sure a majority of communters would have) sped after. So now where you have drivers going 5-10 over the limit, they would be going 20-30 over to make up lost time. Im sure most people did not learn anything by this demo, rather they have more reason to dislike the department. :thumbsdow