PDA

View Full Version : brokerage/custom fees for Ebay purchase?

Godfuader
11-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Tried doing a search but failed to get a concrete answer.

Normally I get items shipped to my US address, to have it waiting when I get into town, or have it shipped from there as gift under $20. Im bidding on a GPS for my Treo via eBay and would like to play around with it before I fly back out on Dec. 21. Its made by PalmOne so Im assuming its manufatured in North America, and I should win a bid just under $100. The shipping cost is $14 US and $18 to Canada, which would be cheaper than sending it to the US address and then paying to have it shipped here.

What kind of duties and customs fees am I looking at?

LLLimit
11-22-2007, 05:37 PM
this might help

http://my.is/forums/f122/finally-way-beat-ups-brokerage-fees-346123/

I get the sender to send via USPS, marked as a gift and value at <$60. Never been charged anything when it arrived here.

Godfuader
11-22-2007, 05:40 PM
That was my first option...but the seller is an online store that does not want to send it as Gift or sample.

Xtrema
11-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Ship straight via USPS even without it being gift/sample for declared value of $100, you'll be out $11.

$5 of custom fee and $6 for GST.

But I would worry more about it getting here by 21st. Custom is currently overwhelmed.

Godfuader
11-22-2007, 11:36 PM
^^ Thats what I was wondering about the shipping time. I won a bid tonight and am having it shipped to the US address, because its guaranteed within 3 business days. From there I can have the contents shipped in a bubble envelope for < $10 and 5 day shipping. :thumbsup:

*mods close if necessary