PDA

View Full Version : Laptop opinions Dell XPS 1330 or Sony VGNSZ650NC?

redevil
11-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Ok,

So I'm in the market for a new laptop. I am looking at the following two laptops: Dell XPS 1330 or Sony VGNSZ650NC. I can customize the Dell to similar specs as the Sony, but I can also get the Dell for a lower price since there are some things I will not really need on the laptop. I need your opinions to which one would be better. As for use it will only be used for pictures, email, web browsing, and not too much gaming. I am only looking for something that is 13.3" or smaller laptop.

Other things to consider is the warranty and tech support. I currently have a 17" Dell Inspiron 6000, which I went with the extended warranty and tech support for 3 yrs. This proved to be useful to me since have gotten 4 A/C adapters replaced with out any issues, and as for tech support I'm not too good with trying to figure out what went wrong so I need to be able to call for help at any hours of the day.

Let me know what you think. If there is any other laptop to consider let me know.

dragonone
11-23-2007, 11:52 AM
how 'bout a macbook?
popular things ppl do with it now are 4gbs of ram (149 @ canadaram) and 250gb HD swap (144 @ costco)

redevil
11-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
how 'bout a macbook?
popular things ppl do with it now are 4gbs of ram (149 @ canadaram) and 250gb HD swap (144 @ costco)

not really a fan of mac's

nagooro
11-23-2007, 12:06 PM
I have the dell xps m1210 and have had zero problems with it. So I would probably go for the dell.

redevil
11-23-2007, 12:58 PM
oh the other thing, what operating system should I also go with?

Vista Home Premium Edition or Vista Ultimate Edition?

bball2
11-23-2007, 05:42 PM
I would recommend the dell as well, they have seriously dropped their prices on the xps series over the last few years.

nagooro
11-23-2007, 08:18 PM
I would go with home premium. I think its a waste of $180 upgrading to ultimate.

redevil
11-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by nagooro
I would go with home premium. I think its a waste of $180 upgrading to ultimate.

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't too sure.

DarkDream
11-25-2007, 04:20 AM
LoL, although Dell is probably the better deal and such.

I'd probably end up getting the Sony, since i like how the Sony laptop looks.

SCHIDER23
11-25-2007, 07:19 AM
looks aren't everything, I usually go for performance before looks, but like others have said I probably go with the DELL more control on what you want.:thumbsup:

redevil
11-25-2007, 08:37 AM
keep your opinions coming, will be making a decision in the next couple of days.

Thanks

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Drop by the dell kiosk @ market mall... talk to them. I work there thurs/fri evening and weekends. I probably won't be able to give any kind of deal (They're auditing us on XPS, they watch them damn close)

Do you know if your employer has any deal with them?

xkon
11-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Honestly, Sony's are sweet - UNTIL THEY BREAK, and they always do. They are flakey and the warranty is only 1 yr, after that you are screwed. At my work I have trashed 10 sony's in the last year - none of them more than 2 yrs old because of this. (including 2 that were mine, and they were taken care of!)

Get the dell - you wont be disappointed. They are great with warranty and years ahead of sony. I recommend the 3 year warranty as well!

saiyajin
11-26-2007, 12:46 PM
wow i am also contemplating between those 2 exact models as well for the past week

i myself have been leaning more towards the DELL

benyl
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
I had the same dilemma a few years ago. I went with the Sony.

Sony does have a depot here in the NE if you need warranty work. I don't know if Dell does.

redevil
12-16-2007, 10:36 PM
well still undecided.

I have tried out the XPS 1330 for about a week. I returned the one I had purchased as I was not sure why the wireless was not working and an on site tech came to check it out at my house. But they were unable to fix it, so I decided just to return it just in case it was a lemon. I still want to try it again. I'm waiting till the LED screen is offered again as that is the one I was able to purchase. But they are not offering anymore, hope that it will change as the LCD standard option is definitely not as good as the LED.

But not sure which one I want to go with still.

those who have had the sony laptops, how is there telephone tech support as far as them helping you out for little tech problems? I have only experienced dell's tech and warranty support.

Do you guys think the Dell will go on sale soon?

redevil
12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Drop by the dell kiosk @ market mall... talk to them. I work there thurs/fri evening and weekends. I probably won't be able to give any kind of deal (They're auditing us on XPS, they watch them damn close)

no unfortunately they don't have a deal with them. Any idea when the LED screen will be available again on the 1330? I had one I ordered but returned it as there seemed to be something wrong with the wireless. Let me know if you know, otherwise I will have to wait till then.

SilverGS
12-16-2007, 11:32 PM
I have a Dell XPS 1210. Been absolutely great for me. Taken it all over the place and never had a problem.

Sony's look nicer though

Kavy
12-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by redevil

no unfortunately they don't have a deal with them. Any idea when the LED screen will be available again on the 1330? I had one I ordered but returned it as there seemed to be something wrong with the wireless. Let me know if you know, otherwise I will have to wait till then.

LED screens are back again in March, dell is making the LED screens for the new macbooks as well.
XPS's almost never go on sale, best bet is using an online coupon.

redevil
12-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

LED screens are back again in March, dell is making the LED screens for the new macbooks as well.
XPS's almost never go on sale, best bet is using an online coupon.

oh that sucks, don't know if I can wait till then...

:dunno:

redevil
12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

pm'd

boredengineer
12-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by redevil

I have tried out the XPS 1330 for about a week. I returned the one I had purchased as I was not sure why the wireless was not working and an on site tech came to check it out at my house. But they were unable to fix it, so I decided just to return it just in case it was a lemon.

You sure you are not having problems with your wireless network? Never had bad dell hardware out of the box. Really though most tech's are not the most adept people at sorting out your network problems.

thextinct
12-30-2007, 09:40 PM
well i wud have gone with dell as the prblm with sonys can b is tht u might not get the parts in the local stores to repair it. and frm wht iive heard is tht dell has great customer service whn it comes to laptops.
well thts just me..
good luck with ur choice :thumbsup:

redevil
12-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer

You sure you are not having problems with your wireless network? Never had bad dell hardware out of the box. Really though most tech's are not the most adept people at sorting out your network problems.

That what I was thinking was the problem too was the wireless network, but the tech that came over was such an ass that did not even know what they were doing. I just got frustrated as it was during final exam week that I just had to get the damn thing out of the house otherwise I would have not studied.:guns:

eur0
12-30-2007, 11:29 PM
I have used the 1330 for a couple of months now and it's a great laptop, it would be my first choice.

redevil
12-31-2007, 12:13 AM
I have been reading online that in Canada the reps at the Kiosk can order the LED screen for the XPS on their systems, which regular customers do not see the option building it on the web.

So far I am leaning towards the XPS laptop over the Sony one, but I have also found out that Sony is coming out with a new model of the SZ series laptops in the new year...there is a new platform or processor coming out:dunno:

Now do I wait for the new processor/platform to come out or just buy the damn thing already?:banghead:

redevil
01-14-2008, 10:17 PM
so I ended up getting another xps 1330!

Thanks LilDrunkenSmurf for your help with helping me get what I wanted and for even a cheaper price!

Euro838
01-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Can you post what you got? I like the Dell too but would like to know what kind of a deal you got.

Thanks.

saiyajin
01-16-2008, 05:02 PM
^^^ i too would like to know please fill us in!!

redevil
01-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
Can you post what you got? I like the Dell too but would like to know what kind of a deal you got.

Thanks.

I got the M1330 with the full bells and whistles :bigpimp:
T7500
Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
250GB HD
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS
Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
3 Year Next Busines Day Onsite/In Home Service and Technical Support
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Biometric Fingerprint Reader

Not really much more to add to it as it is everything you can pick out.

Got about $500 off the price on the website as it was on sale for $200 less (not anymore) and 12% employee purchase program. Total $1700 with taxes!:eek:

Sooo much cheaper then the first unit I ordered. Go see Jory (LilDrunkenSmurf) @ market mall he will help you out:thumbsup:

Thanks

Euro838
01-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow, that's a pretty sweet deal. I'm going to have to check it out. So $1700 for everything shipped to your door?

redevil
01-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Wow, that's a pretty sweet deal. I'm going to have to check it out. So $1700 for everything shipped to your door?

$1746 to be exact. They are on sale again with a good discount off of them. Their might be a new platform coming out soon so that may be the reason for the sale.