PDA

View Full Version : If they really wanted to stop selling US Vehicles to Canadians...

bituerbo
11-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Why don't they just start implementing US-specific front bumpers which aren't in compliance with Canadian crash-testing similar to Mitsu's pre-X evolution?

Then all US vehicles get black-listed on the RIV list.
Just an idea for looking into the near future...

bamboo403
11-23-2007, 01:04 PM
The Evo X is black listed as far as I know.

GOnSHO
11-23-2007, 01:06 PM
they are selling teh evo X in canada...... :rofl: :nut:

so no, its not blacklisted.

R-Audi
11-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
they are selling teh evo X in canada...... :rofl: :nut:

so no, its not blacklisted.

That doesnt mean you wont be able to bring in an American one..:nut:

bituerbo
11-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Pre-x, as in before the X model.
Evo I through Evo IX.

This isn't about the Lancer specifically, but just using that as an example.

Team_Mclaren
11-23-2007, 01:35 PM
because there are a billion better/easier/cheaper ways to do it...

Tik-Tok
11-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
because there are a billion better/easier/cheaper ways to do it...

Yeah, Toyota's already started with the anti-theft issue.

Eclipse_Spyder
11-23-2007, 02:58 PM
there should be no damm regulations, then people can drive anything

avow
11-23-2007, 03:03 PM
the best way to prevent it is to lower the damn price of the Canadian spec cars :whipped:

bituerbo
11-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by avow
the best way to prevent it is to lower the damn price of the Canadian spec cars :whipped:

True, but then there would be serious unplanned depreciation values. The ammortization of lease rates vs. vehicle cost would be thrown out of alignment, and dealerships/vehicle manufacturers could stand to lose thousands.

TE4MFaint
11-23-2007, 03:17 PM
How about we just make a North American Dollar and be done with it.

bituerbo
11-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
How about we just make a North American Dollar and be done with it.

Not possible.
Canada would have to start backing their dollar on a hopes and dreams - devaluing us, or the US would have to adopt the international standard of gold, which would devalue them because they don't have the reserves - their economy would tank (even more).

avow
11-23-2007, 03:23 PM
ugh. the whole situation just sucks

JoniBoy
11-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

Not possible.
Canada would have to start backing their dollar on a hopes and dreams - devaluing us, or the US would have to adopt the international standard of gold, which would devalue them because they don't have the reserves - their economy would tank (even more).

I don't know of any western countries still backed by gold. However, I believe the US is one of the countries that HASN'T sold most of their gold off already. The problem with the US currency is just the crazy rate at which they're "printing" money.

grandmasterYYC
11-24-2007, 12:03 PM
bituerbo Wrong.

JoniBoy Correct.

We need a common currency like the EU. It will happen and then there will be no more pricing parity problems.

rm777
11-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Comparing a North American Monetary Union and the Euro/EU is like comparing apples and oranges.

badatusrnames
11-25-2007, 03:11 PM

Not possible.

Ever heard of Ft. Knox?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_reserves

The US is #1 in terms of gold reserves - although the value is only $164 Billion, which doesn't come close to the face value of USD in circulation ($760 Billion in 2005). Although, I think you are right in saying that the size of the US gold reserve has decreased post-war.

the total value of all gold ever mined would be some US$3.4 trillion. For comparison, the entire global market capitalization for all stock markets was US$43.6 trillion in March 2006

Hakkola
11-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by rm777
Comparing a North American Monetary Union and the Euro/EU is like comparing apples and oranges.

How is that?

Originally posted by badatusrnames

Ever heard of Ft. Knox?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_reserves

The US is #1 in terms of gold reserves - although the value is only $164 Billion, which doesn't come close to the face value of USD in circulation ($760 Billion in 2005). Although, I think you are right in saying that the size of the US gold reserve has decreased post-war.

I thought Gruber stole all the gold?

Mazstyle
11-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I thought Gruber stole all the gold?

I thought John Mclean got it back?

Hakkola
11-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Mazstyle

I thought John Mclean got it back?

True, I totally forgot.
:nut:

Palmiros
11-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Free-trade

NOT!

Eleanor
11-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Why don't they just start implementing US-specific front bumpers which aren't in compliance with Canadian crash-testing similar to Mitsu's pre-X evolution?

The same reason they didn't bring the EVO here when they brought it to the States, money. It isn't worth it for Mitsu to make a special bumper for the canadian market.

Ferio_vti
11-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by JoniBoy

I don't know of any western countries still backed by gold. However, I believe the US is one of the countries that HASN'T sold most of their gold off already. The problem with the US currency is just the crazy rate at which they're "printing" money.

Yup, that and the fact that so many other countries world wide have to been using the US$ as their own currency. So there's a shit load of it kicking around world.

mx73someday
11-27-2007, 02:11 AM

Why is it a good thing that US cars aren't imported to Canada? There is already such a scam going on, it's called the Immobiliser Scam. Canadian dealers get no sympathy from me, they've had prosperity for a long time, just take a look at all the new fancy dealerships that popped up in the last few years around Calgary. If they can't plan for risk or for fluctuations in currency, then their businesses deserve to fail. Their poor planning is their own demise, you can't blame consumers for wising up. Instead of manipulating government, maybe the dealers should draw up a business plan that can stand up to the worst case scenario.

Redlyne_mr2
11-27-2007, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by mx73someday

Why is it a good thing that US cars aren't imported to Canada? There is already such a scam going on, it's called the Immobiliser Scam. Canadian dealers get no sympathy from me, they've had prosperity for a long time, just take a look at all the new fancy dealerships that popped up in the last few years around Calgary. If they can't plan for risk or for fluctuations in currency, then their businesses deserve to fail. Their poor planning is their own demise, you can't blame consumers for wising up. Instead of manipulating government, maybe the dealers should draw up a business plan that can stand up to the worst case scenario. Those dealerships dont pop up over night.. it takes years and years of building a solid business then taking out some massive loans to fund expansion. Calgary BMW, Lonestar, Lexus all operated in small shacks before they were finally able to expand. Why is this the dealerships fault? Youre in the auto industry so you should have some idea on how it all works. It's all in the hands of the manufacturer.

rusich
11-27-2007, 04:25 AM
Kinda off topic, but does anybody know how to buy a new admissible Toyota model with an American friend?
Thanks.

mx73someday
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Those dealerships dont pop up over night.. it takes years and years of building a solid business then taking out some massive loans to fund expansion. Calgary BMW, Lonestar, Lexus all operated in small shacks before they were finally able to expand. Why is this the dealerships fault? Youre in the auto industry so you should have some idea on how it all works. It's all in the hands of the manufacturer.

Sure, I agree it takes years of dedication to build a dealership. But it's up to the dealer not the government to ensure that their business plan can handle some bad situations. If those who expanded their dealerships are having trouble with the new currency trends, maybe they should blame themselves for not preparing for it, instead of limiting the consumer's choice and forcing consumers to only buy locally. Maybe they should have remained in small shacks. I don't get how businesses are entitled to continued business just because they expanded to a certain point.

Redlyne_mr2
11-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

Sure, I agree it takes years of dedication to build a dealership. But it's up to the dealer not the government to ensure that their business plan can handle some bad situations. If those who expanded their dealerships are having trouble with the new currency trends, maybe they should blame themselves for not preparing for it, instead of limiting the consumer's choice and forcing consumers to only buy locally. Maybe they should have remained in small shacks. I don't get how businesses are entitled to continued business just because they expanded to a certain point.
Again it's not the dealer's forcing anyone, the individual has every right to go down to the states.. its the manufacturer thats putting up the road blocks. From what's Ive heard sales are still up from last year when it comes to luxury cars.. ie bmw, mb, infiniti. Just because they arent getting sales in the front doesnt mean they dont benefit from the increased traffic from the service department in the back.

TegLover
11-28-2007, 01:23 AM
They should also blacklist all Fords, GM, and Chrysler vehicles starting now and then we may eventually have vehicles Made in Canada! :clap:

403Gemini
11-28-2007, 01:35 AM

Not possible.

Not possible? People said the exact same thing about the euro...

Redlyne_mr2
11-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by TegLover
They should also blacklist all Fords, GM, and Chrysler vehicles starting now and then we may eventually have vehicles Made in Canada! :clap:
A ton of vehicles are already made in Canada:)

403Gemini
11-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Arent honda's in NA made in ontario ? Or which car company am i thinking of? lol

If so, i find it ironic we'll build the cars, send them down to the states, and the states refuse to sell to canadians who built the damned things

Eleanor
11-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Arent honda's in NA made in ontario ? Or which car company am i thinking of? lol

The Acura CSX in made in alliston, ON i think. Some Toyota Rav4s are made here too. I'm sure there's others, those are just 2 off the top of my head.

saiyajin
11-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

The Acura CSX in made in alliston, ON i think. Some Toyota Rav4s are made here too. I'm sure there's others, those are just 2 off the top of my head.

the CSX is a canadian car only isnt it?

the EL was so im assuming the CSX is too

alienman
11-29-2007, 12:14 AM
i agree, its not the dealers fault. The pricing is based on what the manufacturer sells the vehicles to the dealer for. Dealers don't make alot of money on New cars. If they can't buy the New vehicles from Toyota/ford/chrysler whoever for less money they can't sell them for less money. Its a bad deal for the dealerships as well as for us up here in the north.

I for one am probably going to bite the bullet and buy a new tundra up here because I want a lease for my business and I can't lease a vehicle in the states and bring it here. So I am stuck paying a higher rate but at least I am still supporting the local economy and I know I am going to get top rate service from my dealer.