PDA

View Full Version : Saddest thing i seen..

Zephyr
07-16-2003, 11:15 PM
this happened in a popular outdoor shopping area in california.... i go there a lot with friends..dam... anything like this ever happen in canada before?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/939947.asp?vts=071620032205

04blackMAX
07-16-2003, 11:17 PM
and that my freind is why senior's should'nt be behind the wheel

Super_Geo
07-16-2003, 11:24 PM
I got a few phone calls about this one.

I used to live in Santa Monica and my buddies and I used to hang out around there every once in a while...

Sad story.

Kona9
07-16-2003, 11:29 PM
No that stuff only happens in the U.S. In Canada we have a computer chip set up at every border crossing that does not allow you, or anyone you know drive over people at shopping centres with your car. Its a real neat feature. We were trying to get George Bush to fork out the cash to have it coded for the U.S. but right now we are too concerned with the Mad cow Issue.

Sorry Zephyr, I had to be dumb, your question just opened too many doors for the smart ass I am. Just pissin around. That sucks that happened. As vsmSIR said about seniors, thats pretty much the onlytime those freak things happen. one younger guy died a few months ago from a car running him over in a parking lot during a brawl.

ninspeed
07-16-2003, 11:43 PM
yes.. we even have drive bys at the mall durring christams :D

Initial-D-Nerd
07-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Santa Monica Police Chief James Butts Jr. said.... hahahaha, nice name

lammer
07-17-2003, 12:29 AM
^ ^ ^ hahahaha nice one haha nice name...

My cousins live down there..truly sad ..

littledan
07-17-2003, 01:37 AM
holy shit! I can't believe that. that sucks for everyone involved... we should all have to take test every 5 or 10 years to make sure we can still drive.

B17a
07-17-2003, 07:24 AM
I don't understand, the old timer says he accidently hit the gas and not the brake. So how long exactly was he on the gas before he realized he was ACCELERATING towards a crowd, witnesses from what I read said he was going 60mph! I'm with vsmSIR here.

K271
07-17-2003, 08:28 AM
That guy may get manslaughter charges... just announced on CNN, but still up to District Attorney's office.

Abom
07-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by vsmSIR
and that my freind is why senior's should'nt be behind the wheel

I agree. When I'm 80 years old (if I ever get that old to be exact) I'm not driving anymore period. There should be an age limit to where you're allowed to drive at, 70 or something.

Akagi Redsuns
07-17-2003, 12:32 PM
I really feel sorry for the victims and their families. I mean 9 people died because of this guy's stupidity??? Thats just wrong. If you can't differentiate between a gas pedal and brake pedal...you shouldn't be driving period and you should be taking yourself off the road voluntarily at that point.. And if you hit the gas by accident...then it should have been easy to go "Ooops, wrong pedal, and then hit the brakes". But no he runs over numerous people and blaze through the market. Very sad.

Shaolin
07-17-2003, 01:18 PM
Kill him, he's gettin old anyways :D

B17a
07-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
I really feel sorry for the victims and their families. I mean 9 people died because of this guy's stupidity???

I'd like to think its not a case of stupidity but rather at 86, a case of this guy just physically and mentally not there. I'm sure it was unintentional (not like that one CSI epsiode where the granny crashes into all the insurance guys) but this old timer was just too out of it to realize what he was doing. Scary.

Khyron
07-17-2003, 03:26 PM
In Ontario there was an 80+ year old woman who backed over a 12 year old girl in a parking lot (killing her) and "didn't notice" so she drove off. She got a licence suspension and was still driving when the show was aired. She caused another nasty accident - something with a semi, it was over a year ago.

But restricting seniors driving is political suicide. Much better to go after speeders. :P

Khyron

Kamen
07-17-2003, 07:01 PM
OH man that's terrible...

missblondie
07-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
Kill him, he's gettin old anyways :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

method
07-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
No that stuff only happens in the U.S. In Canada we have a computer chip set up at every border crossing that does not allow you, or anyone you know drive over people at shopping centres with your car. Its a real neat feature. We were trying to get George Bush to fork out the cash to have it coded for the U.S. but right now we are too concerned with the Mad cow Issue.

Sorry Zephyr, I had to be dumb, your question just opened too many doors for the smart ass I am. Just pissin around. That sucks that happened. As vsmSIR said about seniors, thats pretty much the onlytime those freak things happen. one younger guy died a few months ago from a car running him over in a parking lot during a brawl.

you'll have to leave out the 'smart' and just stick with 'ass'

now THATS sarcasm.

5.9 R/T
07-18-2003, 02:13 AM
Apparently someone from Calgary was killed in this accident. Some kind of stage performer or actor/actress, I didn't hear the whole story.

fast95pony
07-18-2003, 08:22 AM
I wonder how much an 86 year old pays for insurance ??

There should be some sort of anual or bi-anual driving tests for seniors,but as already mentioned,it's a political hot potato..

5.9 R/T
07-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Strike that, he wasn't killed just seriously injured, and is in critical condition in hospital. He's had to undergo brain surgery. He was one of the people who founded the Lunch Box Theater downtown.