PDA

View Full Version : Review - Moti Mahal (17th Ave Location)

dino_martini
11-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Moti Mahal
1805 14th street SW
(403)-228-9990
http://www.motimahal.ca/
- Food rating 5/5
- Ambience 5/5
- Service 5/5
Total - $91 + tip for six samosa's, five entre's, two beers, one glass of wine, and a coke.

We went to Moti Mahal for my birthday tonight, and it was awsome. It's a really inviting, nicely designed place. It looks really good inside. We had a reservation, and I would say for a Friday night it is nessecary, by time we left around 7 it was packed.

I really like the way places like Moti Mahal, Glory of India serve their food. All the entre's come out in dishes, they hand you a warm plate and you take as much as you want from what ever dish you want.

We ordered Vegetable samosas, Rice, Chicken Masala, Lamb Vindaloo, Vegetable Korma, Lentils (I dont remeber what kind), and some plain Naan. Everything was good, not cold, not salty, it was just excellent.

Our waitress wasnt over bearing, she was there when something was needed and she checked up on us once and a while. The service was really good.

I heard about Moti Mahal from people here on beyond, and they were right. Moti Mahal is awsome, if you like Indian food go check it out.

:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
11-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Glad you had a good time and great food...I always do when I go there haha...one of the 2 places I an eat E.I. food without feelin guilty that I am not eating my mama's home cooking hahaha...

But I have to say...ewwwwww Veggie Korma??...hahaha

dino_martini
11-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
But I have to say...ewwwwww Veggie Korma??...hahaha

The waitress recommend it? I'm not Indian so I dont really know what is good or not. It wasnt bad though.

frozenrice
11-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I've heard excellent reviews of the 14th/17th location. I work near their Midnapore location and have eaten there numerous times. Great food and excellent service.
The only thing that throws me off is one of their waiters is Mexican. LOL.

natejj
11-24-2007, 12:23 PM
This is the place with the buffet right? 13.95, all you can eat? I love it there....:drool:

nismodrifter
11-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah Moti Mahal is one of the better run Indian restaurants in Calgary. I'll definately be hitting it up again when I am back in town.

Re: The way food is served. That's how food is served back in India :) You order whatever you want, it comes out in a large dish/bowl and you take however much you want from each of the entrees you ordered. It's great because you can have a little bit of everything (veggie dish, meat/chicken dish, etc).

20 days till I'm back in town and hittin up the restaurants haha.

JAYMEZ
11-24-2007, 01:03 PM
OOoo a good E.I food place.. I need to try this out! Its really hard to find a good curry in this town , and i also feel guilty not eating my mommas (Fact: British national food is E.I lol)

turbotrip
11-24-2007, 03:51 PM
anyone been to Mirchi (sp?), a friend was telling me this place is supposed to be better than Moti Mahal.

icecreamvan
11-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Moti Mahal's awesome. We had great service the other night, and the food was deliciously prepared. Kitchen could be a tiny bit faster, but worth the wait nevertheless. Price is very very reasonable. I love the garlic naan.

al-ti2d
11-25-2007, 09:37 PM
you didn't have any butter chicken??
i always have to have butter chicken with whatever whenever i go to eat indian food..... and now i am craving some.. god dammit

dino_martini
09-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I figured I would update this thread vs making a new one. But we went to Moti Mahal again tonight, and it was superb. Great food, great staff as well. Parking can be an issue at the 17th ave location, thats about the only issue I have with Moti Mahal

:thumbsup:

malcolmk14
09-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I was at Moti Mahal for about the hundredth time the other day and it's just as good as it's ever been. Truly no match for E.I. food in the city. Mirchi is good, but not like this.

DJ_NAV
09-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Mirchi is take out only... and they only have a limited menu i think.

Moti mahal is such a funny name... translation:
moti= fat ass(feminine)
mahal = palace

so in conclusion: fat ass bitch palace

ragu
09-28-2008, 02:49 PM
moti= precious stone/diamond?

:nut:

Mibz
09-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Been to the Midnapore location once for dine-in and 3 times for take-out.

A+

DJ_NAV
09-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by ragu
moti= precious stone/diamond?

:nut:

you are correct as well.