PDA

View Full Version : E46 Alternator Belt problem

Jynx
11-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me with a problem im having...

Changed the alternator belt on my 2003 325CI and now theres a whistling noise coming from it. The noise is constantly there but gets louder as the RPM's go up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

benyl
11-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Either too tight or too loose.

You should adjust it so that you can turn the belt 90 degrees. No more, no less. At least, that is what I remember being told.

Weapon_R
11-25-2007, 12:53 PM
I had this exact problem. Did you change your tensioner and idler pulley at the same time? These things fail all the time. The job is pretty simple, and surprisingly inexpensive. Around 90 dollars for the pulley and tensioner and a couple hours of work. The toughest part was pulling out the fan :banghead:

Jynx
11-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I had this exact problem. Did you change your tensioner and idler pulley at the same time? These things fail all the time. The job is pretty simple, and surprisingly inexpensive. Around 90 dollars for the pulley and tensioner and a couple hours of work. The toughest part was pulling out the fan :banghead:

I took it to a different shop for a second opinion and they said its not the tensioner or any of the pulley's. That being said, the shop i took it to rarely works on BMW's. They think the alternator needs to be replaced but i don't think that is the case because there was no noise coming before the belt was changed.

Any chance its the alternator? Any suggestions as to where i can take the car where the mechanics will actually know what they are doing and not just suggest replacing things until they figure out the problem?

I have an appointment at BMW but thats over a month away, and id like to get this fixed before that..

benyl
11-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Alpine.

If they don't have time, Sheni's

Weapon_R
11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Very quick way to find out is to use a stethoscope to find out exactly where the noise is coming from.

trdjce10
11-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Or just use a long screwdriver or pipe, touch the alternator with it and listen. If the alternator bearing is bad, it can make a whining noise. Setting the belt too tight puts stress on the alternator bearing.

Jynx
11-26-2007, 09:25 PM
I made an appointment for friday at Alpine, hopefully they are able to figure it out. I will tell them what you guys suggested and see what they say.

Thanks.

Jynx
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Alpine says its the tensioner. Getting it changed next Friday. Hopefully they are rite.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jynx
12-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Changed the tensioner and the pulleys but the whistling is still there. They want to change the alternator now. Sounds to me like they just want to keep changing things until they figure it out (at my expense of course!!)

any suggestions before the alternator is changed?

bobby_lu
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Did you have it looked it by anyone other than Alpine?

This kind of troubleshooting can be a pain I guess, and youre kind of at their mercy. :banghead:

Jynx
12-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
Did you have it looked it by anyone other than Alpine?

This kind of troubleshooting can be a pain I guess, and youre kind of at their mercy. :banghead:

Alberta Electric couldn't figure it out
Uncles shop also couldn't figure it out

They said they think it mite be the alternator but no real way of finding out.

Both of the above know nothing about BMW's tho.

Alpine is the only BMW shop i have taken it too.

I would take it to Sheni but he doesn't like me very much thanks to YOU! :guns: lol

I have an appointment on the 20th at Gallery. Wait and see what they say i guess.