PDA

View Full Version : Fido Surf, Download and Play

PeterGTiR
11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Was thinking about getting a PDA phone to use on Fido or Rogers and thought the mobile email might be useful. Just thought I'd get some opinions on how much data transfer people use per month and how much it costs them to get email and mobile webpages from their PDA phones.

Fido has them for $5 for 6MB and $10 for 12MB:

http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/domore/sdp_options.shtml

They're saying that webpages are 4 KB for each web page viewed - is that true? I know that email can be just text so 6MB should be enough.

Does anybody have this option with their provider and how often do you go over 6MB?

toyboy88
11-26-2007, 07:10 PM
As long as you turn off sounds/pictures when your viewing most email pages are ~6-8K max.

6MB should be good for checking your e-mail via mobile version 4-5 times a day for a month easily.

If your checking other sites as well, or check e-mail constantly go for the 12MB option for an extra $5/month. Otherwise th overage data charges will be wayyyy more if you go over 6MB.

:)

Talies R
11-26-2007, 09:39 PM
If it was just email that you wanted; Rogers has an unlimited email plan right now for Blackberry use for $15/month take note though there is no data alotted to web surfing strictly incoming/sent emails.

omegacell
11-26-2007, 10:00 PM
The numbers that they quote for web pages are based on mobile browser, IE, not PDA phones. Those pages are quite small but you'll use a lot more if you have a PDA phone. Right now you'll get 4 months unlimited data free even if you're not a new subscriber if you add the $18 value pack on Fido. The 12mb is pretty good for just emailing and the occasional web page.

Spike_16v
11-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Sorry for the hijack

Can you explain the unlimited data for 18 a month. I'm paying 100.00 for 200mb for my iPhone.

omegacell
11-27-2007, 01:18 AM
It would only be unlimited for the first 4 months when you add the $18 value pack option. Afterwards, you would only have 12MB. I think there are going to be some more attractive high usage plans coming up though.