PDA

View Full Version : CO-OP gas?

Ekliptix
07-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Does anyone worry about using co-op premium?
I want to use their car wash's, but to get a discount I need to buy their gas.

input?

Ben
07-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Co-Op = ASS

Ashkente
07-17-2003, 01:02 PM
A friend who works at Co-op says it's Shell gas..whether or not that's true, who knows. :|

Shaolin
07-17-2003, 01:14 PM
I don't know but I can find out..

Khyron
07-17-2003, 02:47 PM
It's all the same crap - what's important is how BUSY the store is. A nice Esso in boonies that only gets tanks refilled once a year is far worse than a Superstore station that is really busy and gets fresh gas every week.

Khyron

Ekliptix
07-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
I don't know but I can find out..

I'd appreciate that

Abom
07-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Co-op gas is perfectly fine. I've been filling it in since I've owned my first car, and never had any problems.

If you ask me, all gas is more or less the same anyways.

ninspeed
07-17-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Abom
Co-op gas is perfectly fine. I've been filling it in since I've owned my first car, and never had any problems.

No, its not the same anyways.

Coop uses shell gas. If you like shell, use coop

Abom
07-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
No, its not the same anyways.

Coop uses shell gas. If you like shell, use coop

Do you really believe ALL the different gas stations get their gas from different places? Do you believe every fast food chain gets their beef from seperate suppliers? :dunno:

Moonracer
07-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Well I'm sure shell doesn't get their gas from Esso etc...

Ben
07-17-2003, 05:05 PM

you have never owned a PERFORMANCE engine then obviously...

If I get a shitty batch, I'm pretty much immobile.

READ:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17485

Abom
07-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben
you have never owned a PERFORMANCE engine then obviously...

If I get a shitty batch, I'm pretty much immobile.

Well bad gas is a different thing alltogether, which can happen at any station with any brand of gas. I'm just saying, there's no difference in gas between esso, petro, and all other major chains.

Khyron
07-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Yah but that's comparing different octane - a standard rating for gas - of course it will be different.

And yes, there are slight additive differences between the major companies but for 99% of the people out there 91 from Husky is the same as 91 from Esso is the same as 91 from Co-op. The only exception to this would be the Mohawk/Grain additives.

And just a slight tangent - Are there only 3 major gasoline suppliers for North America or is it higher?

Khyron

Ben
07-17-2003, 05:12 PM

Well bad gas is a different thing alltogether, which can happen at any station with any brand of gas. I'm just saying, there's no difference in gas between esso, petro, and all other major chains.

rage2 has done numerous tests on gasoline in his Porsche and yes, there is a notable difference.

Abom
07-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Ben
rage2 has done numerous tests on gasoline in his Porsche and yes, there is a notable difference.

Anything special done to his Porsche? I've had 3 cars so far (one requiring 91 octane or higher) and have never noticed a difference at all between different gas.

ryder_23
07-17-2003, 05:21 PM
i've noticed the difference between chevron 92 and esso 92...in both performance factor, and econmy. oh ya, btw, esso gas in bc is 92, or atleast at the station i filled up at...They both were claimed to be 92 i should say....chevron 94 blows both 92s away :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
07-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

And just a slight tangent - Are there only 3 major gasoline suppliers for North America or is it higher?

Khyron Big Companies: Petro-Canada, Esso, Shell, Exxon-Mobil, Conoco-Phillips, Chevron-Texaco, BP-Amoco, Unocal, Valero, Diamond. There's probably more I've forgotten, and god only knows how many smaller ones that refine their own (Husky and Fas-Gas leaps to mind immediately locally. Yes I know Husky is a big company, but their retailing side is tiny compared to their exploration side).

Speed_Dreams
07-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Esso/Imperial is owned by Exxon-mobil

i used to work in there mail room :)

4wheeldrift
07-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
Esso/Imperial is owned by Exxon-mobil

i used to work in there mail room :) Fork, you'd think I would have caught that, since they're one of our clients :banghead:

Luke 96 T/A
07-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Both Safeways and Co-op use major brand gasoline...
It wouldn't surprise me if Co-op does indeed use the same stuff you get from a shell pump....

Not sure which one Safeways uses.. However, I saw a nice ferrari filling up at the Crowfoot one! ;-)

04blackMAX
07-17-2003, 07:38 PM
you guys are funny, unless your driving a supercar, i wouldnt worry about it, i dont think its gonna hurt your car!!

Abom
07-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by vsmSIR
you guys are funny, unless your driving a supercar, i wouldnt worry about it, i dont think its gonna hurt your car!!

:werd:

K271
07-17-2003, 10:00 PM
All this trouble for gas. You just want points for a car wash?? Just wash your car yourself, those car washing machines are dangerous, rocks and pebbles in those brushes. And you can't dry the car after, and the machine misses spots. Do it yourself and you know everything is clean, no scratches, and no water streaks when you dry.

Abom
07-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by K271
All this trouble for gas. You just want points for a car wash?? Just wash your car yourself, those car washing machines are dangerous, rocks and pebbles in those brushes. And you can't dry the car after, and the machine misses spots. Do it yourself and you know everything is clean, no scratches, and no water streaks when you dry.

They're touchless car washes at Co-op.

Ekliptix
07-17-2003, 10:20 PM
correct.

The co op ones are way bette then the esso ones.

If I plane to wash it once a week, I want to save a few bucks

Shaolin
07-18-2003, 12:22 AM
ok, just asked a few sources.. apparently Co-Op gets their gas from Shell.. :dunno:

2000impreza
07-18-2003, 01:27 AM
i fill up at co-op pretty often. i've had no problems with their premium 91 octane gas. also fill up at esso, shell, petro, mohawk, husky...etc. the odd time i get a bad tank of gas... i just won't rev the piss out of the engine and stay off boost... no problems really.

92 Teg-B18A
07-18-2003, 07:00 PM
Man, I wouldn't let any of those grease monkey's touch my car.
I pump my own gas at Petro Canada

three.eighteen.
07-18-2003, 07:49 PM

Anything special done to his Porsche? I've had 3 cars so far (one requiring 91 octane or higher) and have never noticed a difference at all between different gas.

huh? even my slow ass bmw...i dropped to mid-grade once...im never doing that again...i need as many horses as i can get, i can even notice a difference between esso and mohawk/husky...i know its hard to believe on a car that is barely a performer...but gas quality is very important

Abom
07-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
huh? even my slow ass bmw...i dropped to mid-grade once...im never doing that again...i need as many horses as i can get, i can even notice a difference between esso and mohawk/husky...i know its hard to believe on a car that is barely a performer...but gas quality is very important

I wasn't referring to changing octane, I meant gas station brand. And yes, once in a while you get a batch of bad gas at one station or another, it happens :(

Honda Attack
07-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Co-Op = ASS

:werd:
Atleast someone knows what they are talking about..

nickopolis
07-19-2003, 07:27 PM
My bro knows some ppl in the business co-op gets shitty gas thats the bottom line. Not as bad as places like cnetex and that but I don't think its worth the value plus rebat hehe

Abom
07-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by nickopolis
My bro knows some ppl in the business co-op gets shitty gas thats the bottom line. Not as bad as places like cnetex and that but I don't think its worth the value plus rebat hehe

Do let us know exactly what your "brother" knows. Co-op gas is the same like any other, even though I don't fill it up anymore since there's an Esso next to my house, I don't feel, nor can I tell a difference in either gas. Bad gas I've had from Petro, Esso, all the major brands, but this isn't about bad gas.

Either your brother is talking shit, or is mis-informed.

^SkylinE^
07-19-2003, 11:41 PM
So were can i get the best quality gas then ????

BigShow
07-20-2003, 12:01 AM

ok i'm gonna take your knowledge into consideration next time i get gas..nickopolis's brother knows people in the business and co-op has shitty gas. :banghead: on a daily driver I don't think there's any noticable difference.

BigMass
07-20-2003, 12:16 AM
i'm still trying to figure out where in town i can gas up my Pagani Zonda :dunno:
http://www.italiaspeed.com/newmodels_paganizondac12s73_35.jpg

rage2
07-20-2003, 12:27 AM
Quite a bit... the fuel curve is mapped to 12.2:1 A/F ratio at 7psi all the way to 28psi (set any boost pressure and it'll be the same A/F ratio, however ethanol blends will "lean" out the readings a little bit). Timing is set about 7psi to 20 degrees total timing. There's also a knock sensor which retards timing when knock is determined (the octane determines at which psi it starts to knock). So, my car is a rolling octane tester.

Petro Canada has the worse gas (11psi), Shell and Esso are a bit better (12psi), Mohawk 92 is the best (13psi), and Mohawk 94 was just tested with excellent results (15psi). At about 10whp per psi of boost, it's well worth shopping around for the best gas.

On my SLK, the ECU is set to expect 93 octane fuel. Because it's an OBD2 car, I can read timing advance very easily using an OBDII scanner. Here are the results on similar weather days (except for 94, which was done today at 28C). The higher the number, the cooler the engine runs (lower EGTs), the more power it makes, and the longer your valves last :). Results mimic the Porsche boost test. Runs were done in 3rd gear.

VP MS103 - 21-23 degrees
Mohawk + VPMS103 (~93.5) - 17-20 degrees
Mohawk 92 - 16-17 degrees
Esso 92 - 14-16 degrees (After government tests, it's been renamed to 91)
Shell 91 - 13-15 degrees
Petro Canada 91 - 11-13 degrees
Mohawk 94 - 19-22 degrees on a hot day!

If your car is stock, you probably won't see a difference in the different "premium" brands.

rage2
07-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Back to the original question, I used to live near a co-op with touchless wash, and also gassed up there (full serve!) for the car wash discounts. Their gas was fine on the 944 at 12psi.

Ben
07-20-2003, 12:36 AM
well that settles that, thanks rage2

nickopolis
07-20-2003, 03:03 AM
Yes abom maybe my "brother" is misinformed. I was posting what i have been told how bout yah take a midol and take the post out of your ass... and no it wouldn't make a diff in a daily driver and i dind't say it would...

Are you and Bigshow pump jockies for your friendly neighbourhood co-op?

T5_X
07-20-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23
.chevron 94 blows both 92s away :thumbsup:

:werd: :thumbsup:

There's a big chevron just down the street from me here in van, I know mohawk has 94 here too, don't know about other stations.

And I like supporting canadian corporations whenever I can, but honestly, petro canada has the most shitty gas, wouldn't even put it in my old ranger.

Maxt
07-20-2003, 08:35 AM
I like the Shell and Mohawk(husky) fuels, I don't trust the Fas gas stuff, nor the offbrand, race trac, racoon,centex, stuff either, premium is a relative term, premium compared to what is the question, alot of the off brand premiums are 89...
My truck is highly susceptible to knock, I stay away from Petro can and Esso, never had good experience with that fuel...
The moisture content of the fuel will determine its knock resistance...
Max

Abom
07-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Are you and Bigshow pump jockies for your friendly neighbourhood co-op?

Nope, I used to fill Co-op for over a year before I moved, now the closest station is an Esso and Petro, so I use Esso mostly.

For more higher end cars, like your SLK rage2, which is set to accept 93 minimum in the first place, sure you could see a difference. But for your average street car (Civic, Prelude, Cavalier, Grand Prix, whatever), you won't see any difference unless you're pushing a lot of boost.

CKY
07-21-2003, 11:58 PM
i agree wit k217, i mean this thread started as about is co-op gas good n about saving money, then it went into this crazy talk about which brand it better, i mean just wash the car urself if u wanna save money, n u cant get quality gas here in north america unless u race pro. u want high quality octane gas? go to japan

mwmhong
08-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Supposedly Co-op, FasGas and Superstore gas is crappy gas because it is missing detergent additives that are supposed to help keep your engine clean.

That's why it is cheaper. :)

Maxt
08-10-2003, 02:14 PM
It would be interesting to find out if the refineries did specific production runs for various brands.. I can't see them changing the fuel for each specific station, but I could see a bunch of brands getting one fuel, and then a bunch getting another fuel..
I know Petro Canada does have the market cornered when it comes to refining , supposedly they control 80% of Canada's refineries.
I remember when Wally world opened their own station, supposedly it really shook up the Canadian motor fuels industry because they have their own refining network, outside of the semi monopoly PetroCan currently has...Their fuel seems ok so far up to 12 psi of boost..:)...Maxt

rage2
08-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by CKY
u cant get quality gas here in north america unless u race pro. u want high quality octane gas? go to japan
You have much to learn :).

ninspeed
08-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by CKY
n u cant get quality gas here in north america unless u race pro. u want high quality octane gas? go to japan

Guess we should throw away that 205l drum of vp ms103 at work then eh? it must be shitty and not let toms camarro run 11;s