PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Diesels in american trucks

catywampusness
07-17-2003, 01:09 PM
So, I had a slight question. I've seen turbo diesel trucks (domestic american) preform very well in hauling large loads and accelerating at the same time. Thing is, who did it first? Personal research points to dodge, just wanna see if anyone else has anything to say.... agree? disagree? Flaws with the turbo diesel deal? pros and cons?
:angel:

benyl
07-17-2003, 03:10 PM
pros: fuel efficient and diesel is usually cheaper

cons: smelly, dirty (bad for environment) and loud.

by the way, diesel engines have been around forever...

kaput
07-17-2003, 03:48 PM

benyl
07-17-2003, 04:01 PM
not with the sulfur content of diesel.

Ben
07-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by benyl
not with the sulfur content of diesel.

actually even with the sulphur content. Gasoline is brutal, but because it doesn't make black smoke (wax) people assume its worse.

Also, diesel engines run for ever pretty much.

the TDI's in the new VW's are rated half million km motors. Thats impressive

kaput
07-17-2003, 04:34 PM

4wheeldrift
07-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl
not with the sulfur content of diesel. All diesel fuel in Canada is low sulphur by law.

benyl
07-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
All diesel fuel in Canada is low sulphur by law.

I stand corrected

sxtasy
07-17-2003, 11:18 PM
well i saw an episode of trucks on TNN and i dont remember the actual dyno specs but i remember "Stacey" (i think thats what his name was) did propane injection, upgraded exhaust, chip and like nitrous i think, on stock internals and it pulled like around 600hp and around the same torque. Broke the record on the dyno at the trucks shop. Dont quote me on the specs but it was around there.

sxtasy
07-17-2003, 11:21 PM
BTW this was on a stock GM duramax deisel. Good thing about duramax they are quiet, and have lots of stock power. Awesome trucks IMO

nismodrifter
07-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
well i saw an episode of trucks on TNN and i dont remember the actual dyno specs but i remember "Stacey" (i think thats what his name was) did propane injection, upgraded exhaust, chip and like nitrous i think, on stock internals and it pulled like around 600hp and around the same torque. Broke the record on the dyno at the trucks shop. Dont quote me on the specs but it was around there.

haha...that truck was CRAZY...rollin on 20s i think

at the end he did a huge burnout with those 20z :burnout:

DIESEL POWER!!

Redlyne_mr2
07-18-2003, 12:39 AM
Pm Dr. Lightspeed on the board, he modifies diesels, I think he had a dodge lay down 1200 ft/tq on his dyno

Akagi Redsuns
07-18-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
BTW this was on a stock GM duramax deisel. Good thing about duramax they are quiet, and have lots of stock power. Awesome trucks IMO

I have ridden in a Dodge RAM pickup with the Cummins Turbo Deisel and man is that thing loud!!! so much torque down low....pretty neat.

Off topic, but wasn't there a study that shows deisel exhaust causes cancer? Of course breathing in gas exhaust can't be that good either.

5.9 R/T
07-18-2003, 01:58 AM
The old diesels were loud, but the new cummins are quite a bit quieter then then they used to be, not as quiet as the duramax, but I think a little quieter then the powerstroke.

4wheeldrift
07-18-2003, 07:02 AM
Since they quieted down the Cummins in the new dodge trucks, the ford powerstrokes are the loudest diesels out there. The old Cummins were hella loud, good way to annoy the neighbours.

T5_X
07-18-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
All diesel fuel in Canada is low sulphur by law.

Define "low" sulfur. In the US it ranges as low as 150 ppm and as high as 500 ppm

I don't buy what you guys are saying for diesel putting out less emissions, if it was true and they were that much cleaner, why are car manufacturers struggling with emissions in thier diesel cars, which will be required to meet the same standards as gasoline cars by 2007 in the US?

There is new catalytic converter technology, which makes diesel cars have the same or better NOx and HC emissions content as gasoline cars, but sulfur damages these cats, and only REALLY low content, like 5-15 ppm will be safe for them to function. Canadian diesel would in no way be around this content, if it was, diesel fuel would be three times more /l than gas. Oil companies are currently trying to find a cost effective way to reduce sulfur content, they think that they'll be able to get it as low as 50 ppm by 2007, which probably means no diesel technology in passenger cars for quite a while. Heavy vehicles are different and have different emissions regulations.

benyl
07-18-2003, 09:38 AM
Come to think of it, I just read that North America will not be getting GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) engine BECAUSE of the high sulfur content. As Ranger said, it damages the cats on these vehicles... they are hella efficient though.

kaput
07-18-2003, 11:26 AM

fast95pony
07-18-2003, 02:13 PM
The table shows GASSES , but doesn't mention particulates such as soot (carbon particles) . Perhaps this is where the confusion is arising ??

Ekliptix
07-18-2003, 02:44 PM
I saw a GMC Duramax doing 15.0 at race city last week

I like them for towing, and laying down torque.

They respond very well to mods

4wheeldrift
07-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

Define "low" sulfur. In the US it ranges as low as 150 ppm and as high as 500 ppm Canada's spec is 500ppm, which is in line with what the rest of north america considers low sulphur diesel. This is not a lot of sulphur honestly, compared to what diesel fuel used to be like.

I don't buy what you guys are saying for diesel putting out less emissions, if it was true and they were that much cleaner, why are car manufacturers struggling with emissions in thier diesel cars, which will be required to meet the same standards as gasoline cars by 2007 in the US? Because they don't burn any cleaner than most "normal" cars, but they are a TON more efficient than a gasoline engine (how's 1200km on 60L sound?). The table that was shown is on heavy engines like the prime movers in rigs, with motors that big the difference in emissions is quite substantial. On smaller motors, the difference is the other way around, and as fast95pony mentioned diesels produce more particulate than an equivalent gas engine.

There is new catalytic converter technology, which makes diesel cars have the same or better NOx and HC emissions content as gasoline cars, but sulfur damages these cats, and only REALLY low content, like 5-15 ppm will be safe for them to function. Canadian diesel would in no way be around this content, if it was, diesel fuel would be three times more /l than gas. Oil companies are currently trying to find a cost effective way to reduce sulfur content, they think that they'll be able to get it as low as 50 ppm by 2007, which probably means no diesel technology in passenger cars for quite a while. Heavy vehicles are different and have different emissions regulations. Quite a few companies are readying ULSD spec diesel (<15ppm sulphur), and a few places in Canada and the States are already refining and selling it. The technology is available to do it, and its not as costly as you'd think. The 2007 mark is when the government is making it illegal to sell anything else, but there are more than a couple companies ready already.

Ben
07-18-2003, 03:13 PM
My mom just achieved 1141km on 50l of fuel in her '02 GLS TDI Golf last week.

kaput
07-18-2003, 03:44 PM

nismodrifter
07-18-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Ben
My mom just achieved 1141km on 50l of fuel in her '02 GLS TDI Golf last week.

thats pretty damn good, our benzo (300SD Turbo Diesel) usually runs around 800+kms per tank (which is around 60 litres I think...) not to bad for a 3700lbs car in which the pedal needs to be slammed down all the way pretty much all the time for the thing to gain any type of speed :D

the record for the benzo on the highway is around 1000kms from Calgary to Vancouver...we filled up in vancouver and made it all the way to 37th street near the glenmore reservoir when the car started to shake and was JUST about to turn off :D luckily we were able to turn left onto 37th and then on the 2nd station we checked at they had diesel

and I don't know how you guys can say it smells bad.....IMO the smell of exhaust from gas vehicles stinks way worse than diesel..

Dr. Lightspeed
07-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Actually it was 1245 ft/lbs of torque. It is not hard to make a diesel run in the 12's. My personal daily driver is 6.5 GMC TD and it lays down 600 ft/lbs.

catywampusness
07-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Thanx, that gives me stuff to think about.

Gotrek
07-24-2003, 11:15 AM
http://www.bullydog.com/

'Nuff said.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-24-2003, 05:45 PM
For the uniformed Bullydog but for those that know. HAHAHA we call them Bully melt cause their idea of performance is more fuel.

More than enough said from someone who knows.

Maxt
07-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed
Actually it was 1245 ft/lbs of torque. It is not hard to make a diesel run in the 12's. My personal daily driver is 6.5 GMC TD and it lays down 600 ft/lbs.
The 6.2 litre and 6.5 were both a cruel joke played on gm truck buyers... Those motors were lousy..period..Maxt

Dr. Lightspeed
07-24-2003, 06:43 PM
The problem with the 6.5 is ve ratio that they tried to accomplish at the expense of exhaust heat. We built this motor to see if our inhouse engineering could build a 6.5 that would actually make some power and hold together. So far so good. Plus it is in a nice 86 4x4 so was just a fun project. Oh yea with the 4.10 gears and no overdive still pulls 28 mpg.

xkon
07-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Ben

actually even with the sulphur content. Gasoline is brutal, but because it doesn't make black smoke (wax) people assume its worse.

Also, diesel engines run for ever pretty much.

the TDI's in the new VW's are rated half million km motors. Thats impressive

they do run forever... my brother has 3 Ford diesels at the moment, and with 350,000+ km he still can get $12,000 out of them! Pretty good considering they cost him between $5000-7000!

Gotrek
07-25-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed
For the uniformed Bullydog but for those that know. HAHAHA we call them Bully melt cause their idea of performance is more fuel.

More than enough said from someone who knows.

Well probably but my buddies truck made almost 1200hp with Bullydog parts so I respect them. It was a Dodge Duallie with a Cummins engine.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-25-2003, 09:04 AM
But how hot did it get that is the question. There is diesel performance and safe diesel performance. Bully dog does not know the latter.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-25-2003, 09:07 AM
woah I read wrong i thought you said 1200 ft/lbs but you said 1200 horse. I wave my BS flag. There is no way that truck is making 1200 horse. No way. No way. No way.

Gotrek
07-25-2003, 09:14 AM
No I meant Torque Sorry.

Either way I'm sure you know more what you're talking about then me, so does my buddy, I'm not going to argue with you I just know most of his parts were bullydog but there is also lots of fabrication.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-25-2003, 10:28 AM
sounds like a cool ride tho

Gotrek
07-25-2003, 10:52 AM
I think its one of the older cummins the 12V ones not the brand new 24 valve,

It's the big brawny dually, he uses it primarily to tow a huge horse trailerand he does tractor pulls with it during the fair.