PDA

View Full Version : Block heater. HELP PLEASE!!!!

civiclx98
11-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm looking for information regarding a block heater for a 1998 Honda Civic Lx (d16y8 I think).

Anyways, I want to install a factory OEM block heater, but I'm getting a huge range of prices, and I can't find anything (not even in the factory repair/maintenance manuals) about how and where to install one! I'm going nuts here.

any help, please?

bobby_lu
11-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Tried the dealership? Its not an expensive item, even installed at the dealership should be around $100.

However, I don't even think you need a block heater in Toronto, even here in Calgary I rarely need it.

trieuth
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
d16y8 was the civic si engine, so you have the wrong code for that

dooman24
11-27-2007, 07:50 PM
your gen civic
the block heater goes to the rear of the engine
by the oil filter

just
remove the drain bolt (it's 28mm bolt (thread size not the bolt's head size))
(careful coolant will spill out)
and just screw in your block heater back where the 28mm bolt used to be
and route the wire to the front of your bumper staying away from the exhaust manifold.

Ferio_vti
11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by trieuth
d16y8 was the civic si engine, so you have the wrong code for that

LX has a D16Y7. Meh, same engine block, same block heater.

civiclx98
11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah, sorry, D16Y7 :)

Actually it gets pretty cold in January/February. Usually we're at -20 to -25 for most nights.

Is the drain bolt clearly indicated?

Thanks.

Mr_ET
11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
It's a pretty big bolt it's hard to miss. Look at your block heater bolt, look for a big bolt on the block that's the same size and... bingo.

You will need to refill and bleed your coolant system after the install so if you do it yourself make sure you also know how to do that.

Ferio_vti
11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
You got PM.

Eleanor
11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Now correct me if I'm way off here, but why do you need a block heater? Don't you really only need to keep your battery warm?

Annoyingrob
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Now correct me if I'm way off here, but why do you need a block heater? Don't you really only need to keep your battery warm?
I would assume some people are too lazy to put 5w-30 into the car in the winter.......

civiclx98
11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Annoyingrob: Don't be presumptuous, I only put 5w-30 in my car at all times, which is what Honda recommends. Synthetic to boot.

Eleanor: I'm more interested in keeping the coolant warm, than the battery. After all, a warm block means warmer oil which means the oil gets to the engine internals much more quickly thereby reducing the wear associated with cold start-ups, dramatically.

Furthermore, I've been to Calgary in the winter, and it's no more colder than my cottage which routinely drops to 40 degrees Celsius from mid December to February. I like going to my cottage in the winter, so a block heater is a must.

Thanks everyone :)

frozenrice
11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
If it's the oil that you want to keep warm, how about a magnetic oil pan heater?

Eleanor
12-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

I would assume some people are too lazy to put 5w-30 into the car in the winter.......

touché

autosm
12-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Way easyer on the car if you plug it in . It warms up faster saves fuel and saves wear on the engine internal parts . A block heater keeps the oil warmer than it would be with out one .

Anything below -35c with out a block heater is risking a broken engine . Ie oil starved bearings , jumped timing belt, seized cam shart ,ectra.

I would plug it in anything below -15 c .I plug mine in in the unheated garage anytime it gets below -20c

A good battery does not need to be kept warm .

I think it costs about 50c to plug your car in all night .