PDA

View Full Version : Co-op programs at U of C

11-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi I was wondering if this is worth the extra money + the extra year. Please post your opinions, thank you!

BrknFngrs
11-27-2007, 09:16 PM
It's tough to give an opinion if you don't specify what program you are in and your major.

cmodem
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
:werd: i was in cpsc and did it and it opened up opportunities i probably would've never had... when i finished they kept me on as part time throughout my last year.

It's nice when you're going to school and still make over 1000 bucks a pay check for 20 hrs a week.

Skyline_Addict
11-27-2007, 09:40 PM
For just about any program, and under NORMAL circumstances, I would say it's worth the extra year and the extra money. You get hands on experience which will not only be able to land you a job much easier after you graduate, but will also give you a better idea of what you want to do with your life when you head back to school to finish up your degree. If you're not the type of person who has had alot of work experience, this is a great opportunity.

What I mean by NORMAL circumstances is that you're not under any time frame ultimatums to finish your degree and don't have anything other pressures going on in your life that would hinder your performance at work, should you get the job. I can't see any reason not to go for it if:

a) You lack job experience, particularly in your related field of study.
b) Are not in a rush to finish your degree by a specific date.
c) Would like to earn money to finance your education and living expenses and still have some of the "perks" of being a student.
d) You would like to work in the related field of the job you are applying for when you graduate (you may or may not have a change of heart after your Co-op program).

If you're really skeptical about it, my advice is to ATLEAST go for the interview if you get one, and ask alot of questions pertaining to information which you believe will help you make an informed decision. It wouldn't hurt to start from there.

12-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for your input, I was planning on doing the Actuary one. Maybe something in business instead, but I have not really done much research on the business faculty.

D'z Nutz
12-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Yes, it's a good idea, especially if you have no experience in your field of study. Anyone thinking ahead should have some sort of experience by second or third year at the very least. Work the entry level jobs while you're in school so that when you're finished, you got a shot at the better positions while the rest of the grads are all fighting over the chump positions. You'd be surprised how many grads come out of school with no experience.

Some companies have a history of a) keeping you employed while you're finishing up, and/or b) paying for your final year(s) if you agree to stick with the company after school. Sounds like a win-win to me.

HyperZell
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
As a recent graduate, for the lack of a better word, of the Co-op program, I can definitely encourage you to do it. I took it in Haskayne, and it was terrific. The opportunities available, as well as the chance to network and to get practical job experience are well worth it. Plus, the pay can get pretty good too, which can help pay for school or other things.

Go for it, and thank this thread when you're done school and have a good job lined up.

aklalani
12-04-2007, 04:33 PM
for more information do i have to go to the career center?

Skyline_Addict
12-06-2007, 07:23 PM
^^ you don't HAVE to do anything. but yes, if you want more information it is definetely a good idea to go to the career center and talk to one of the advisors.

Xtrema
12-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes. You are much more employable with experience.

urbannomad
12-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I have a question regarding GPA..do they look at your overall GPA or the last so and so courses that you've taken? I'm starting to look into this but don't have time because of exams today and tomorrow. :banghead:

rc2002
12-07-2007, 12:58 PM
With such low unemployment numbers today, I don't think it's worth it for co-op.

When I did it, it was just after the tech bubble burst so jobs were pretty tough to find. Times have changed now, and it's not too difficult to find a job, even without much experience.

I say get out of school a year earlier. New grad salary is higher than co-op student salary.

Euro838
12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I'd recommend it as it gives you a bit of a break from academics. You could also take a night course so your load for the last year will be lighter too. Like others have mentioned, unless you are in a hurry, then definitely give it a try. You'll have some fun. Only thing I'd say is to stay away from small sweatshops. If you can get into a bigger organization, there's good perks.

Skyline_Addict
12-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
With such low unemployment numbers today, I don't think it's worth it for co-op.

When I did it, it was just after the tech bubble burst so jobs were pretty tough to find. Times have changed now, and it's not too difficult to find a job, even without much experience.

I say get out of school a year earlier. New grad salary is higher than co-op student salary.

You do have a point there, but having relevant job experience is always a huge advantage when you finish your degree. Even if there are lots of jobs out there, the better ones should go to those who have more experience. Building a relationship with a reputable company early on in your career (i.e while still enrolled in post-secondary) will mean that you will have more opportunities once you graduate, not only within the company(s) you did the work term with, but also with other companies. But in the end, it's really what you want to do with your time. Some people want to get school over and done with ASAP. Doing the co-op program also gives you an opportunity to more clearly define where your skill sets apply and what kind of career path you will want to follow, as it may not be the one you do your work term in.

Originally posted by urbannomad
I have a question regarding GPA..do they look at your overall GPA or the last so and so courses that you've taken? I'm starting to look into this but don't have time because of exams today and tomorrow. :banghead:

They consider your overall GPA and the types of courses you have taken. There are prerequisites depending on your degree for courses you MUST complete before you can be admitted into the program. In addition to these courses, there are recommended courses that the co-op department would like you to have completed or will be completing by the end of your degree. They may also look at your previous work experience to some amount, but I'm not sure of this. I think if you have the GPA and correct type/amount of courses completed, you're pretty much in the co-op program. But, your work experience, if not a factor in getting into the co-op program, will definetely be a factor when you go for your job interview, as it would be for any job. Being accepted into the co-op program does not guarantee you will get any job you apply for.

cmodem
12-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by urbannomad

GPA is not even considered when it comes to employment... when i took it you had to be over a certain gpa to be able to take internship (this keeps integrity of school... don't want dumb slackers out there representing the school).

But when it comes down to it after the interview heck even before it and when they are reading your cover letter i bet you most employers put little stock in gpa.

The good though is you don't have to feel bad if you don't have any experience applying for internship even though some do have some job experience (and they'll likely be picked over someone without).

BrknFngrs
12-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by cmodem

GPA is not even considered when it comes to employment... when i took it you had to be over a certain gpa to be able to take internship (this keeps integrity of school... don't want dumb slackers out there representing the school).

But when it comes down to it after the interview heck even before it and when they are reading your cover letter i bet you most employers put little stock in gpa.

The good though is you don't have to feel bad if you don't have any experience applying for internship even though some do have some job experience (and they'll likely be picked over someone without).

Uhh alot of companies filter applications based on GPA, so it does matter. As others have mentioned, if your going into an industry that needs workers badly and is booming don't bother with a CO-OP, get out into the workforce earlier. What program are you in OP?

generation
12-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by cmodem

The career centre requires you to put your GPA on your resume because there are a lot of companies that filter by GPA.

HyperZell
12-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

You do have a point there, but having relevant job experience is always a huge advantage when you finish your degree. Even if there are lots of jobs out there, the better ones should go to those who have more experience. Building a relationship with a reputable company early on in your career (i.e while still enrolled in post-secondary) will mean that you will have more opportunities once you graduate, not only within the company(s) you did the work term with, but also with other companies. But in the end, it's really what you want to do with your time. Some people want to get school over and done with ASAP. Doing the co-op program also gives you an opportunity to more clearly define where your skill sets apply and what kind of career path you will want to follow, as it may not be the one you do your work term in.

Quoted for truth. Just because there are lots of jobs available doesn't mean that there are lots of good jobs available. The co-op program can give you the edge you need to start somewhere higher than someone without. And also, it can also give you some insight on what it's really like out there in the working world, and maybe even prevent you from making a big mistake by having false assumptions about a specific industry. I know that it helped me to really narrow down what I want to do when I graduate.

vadeit
12-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Quoted for truth. Just because there are lots of jobs available doesn't mean that there are lots of good jobs available. The co-op program can give you the edge you need to start somewhere higher than someone without. And also, it can also give you some insight on what it's really like out there in the working world, and maybe even prevent you from making a big mistake by having false assumptions about a specific industry. I know that it helped me to really narrow down what I want to do when I graduate.

^ This.

The company I did my year coop term with rehired me before I was done my last exams. I started at a higher position and it has allowed me to be promoted faster and earn more money. That year experience was invaluable. I knew their products, methods, corporate structure, etc. when I started my career. I cannot recommend the coop program strongly enough. In fact we are about to hire a former coop student as soon as he is done exams. He too is starting a level up.