PDA

View Full Version : Interesting development on importing BMWs

benyl
11-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Found this on e90post in the Canada section:

Just back from Parkview BMW in Toronto. As of now this is what you are looking at to bring your e90 or e92, among others, into Canada:

1.) Obtain letter of admissibility before crossing the border by providing the VIN, year and model of the car to Canadian dealer. You must present this letter to the Canadian Border agents. Pay by credit card at dealer onsite or over phone but must have access to fax to sign. Cost is $350 + tax = $399 in Ontario.

2.) Bring the car across with appropriate RIV and US customs documents etc. Take car to Canadian dealer for Recall inspection. $500 + tax. Wait 25-40++? days for receipt of letter before you can register.

3.) HERE's the Clincher: ALL E90 AND E92 IMPORTS AS OF TODAY ARE REQUIRED TO PURCHASE AND INSTALL THE CANADIAN SPEC INSTRUMENT CLUSTER AT A COST OF $1408.50 + TAXES TO COMPLY WITH CANADIAN STANDARDS!!!

There it is folks - we're now up to about $2500 CAD for BMW Canada compliance. I have inquired about installing a used cluster, according to the dealer (who in my opinion were not trying to BS me and seemed somewhat sympathetic) a used cluster installation will likely not successfully link up to the computer - of 4 such attempts by Parkview, one was successfull and 3 were not - so I guess you take your chances.

I have requested from the service manager a discount on the cluster in light of this obvious extortion by BMW canada and am awaiting a response.

I have not inquired about purchasing this part from US dealers directly so if anyone has a US dealer contact and is importing now perhaps you could check into and post back here - I will attempt to do the same.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98195

benyl
11-28-2007, 01:28 PM
It may be just a dealer fucking with a customer, but MB does this already.

rage2
11-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Don't forget the $500 DRL reprogramming :).

benyl
11-28-2007, 02:06 PM
More:

OK.. here is the official word from BMW.

(source: BMW Canada, 1-800-567-2691, Michelle, EXT 5650)

1) Client MUST purchase the Admissibility Letter from BMW Canada. Cost is $350.00; eta is 2 - 5 business days.

2) DEPENDANT ON MODEL and YEAR, car will have to have work done from a BMW Canada dealer to make the DRL (daytime running lights) PERMANENT. YOU CANNOT SIMPLY USE iDRIVE to turn them on. Without having a Canadian Dealer do this work, BMW CA will not issue to a recall letter.

EXAMPLES:
BMW 2007 Z4 - Changes to DRL's can be done via software by dealer. No word on cost.
BMW 2007/2008 3-Series - Changes to DRL's can be done via software BUT ALSO the US cluster MUST be changed to the CANADIAN cluster to make the DRL changes PERMANENT. The cost to do this is roughly $1500.00.

3) Once the changes are made by the BMW CA dealer, they will forward the information to BMW Corporate who will then allow you to order the recall letter at a cost of $500.00.

4) You can now register your car in Canada.

5) BMW sucks.

buh_buh
11-28-2007, 02:35 PM
:rofl:

A790
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Wow, that is one of the lamest things I've ever heard.

finboy
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
fucking owned, bmw canada is shit :rofl:

blownz
11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
I guess the only good thing is in the end you still have warranty. Unlike several Japanese brands like Honda.

That said anyone looking for a Canadian E46 for a good price please click the link in my sig. :D

A790
11-28-2007, 03:54 PM
^^^ no shameless self promotion there.

Xtrema
11-28-2007, 04:18 PM
You know they'll put the foot down sooner or later.

blownz
11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by A790
^^^ no shameless self promotion there.

Oh it definitely was which is why I included the smilie with the stupid grin on its face. :D

But at least I had a related post that I tacked it onto rather than just using up space with a useless post. :poosie:

(i kid, i kid)

Hollywood
11-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Don't forget the $500 DRL reprogramming :).

I get it Free.

97'Scort
12-01-2007, 02:11 AM
I love my E36 :)

A790
12-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by blownz
But at least I had a related post that I tacked it onto rather than just using up space with a useless post. :poosie:

(i kid, i kid)
... yea :( I'm SO SORRY! *sob* :cry:

rage2
12-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
I get it Free.
Not anymore. You have to get the DRL done at the dealership and service order filed in order to get the recall letter lol.

funkedelic
12-03-2007, 07:47 PM
fuck off!

So this is only with brand new models? Same rules apply with all others that are non e90, e92?

autosm
12-03-2007, 07:50 PM
^^^^ All the more reason to buy USA ,it is still thousands less .Now you can feel good about not buying from BMW Canada when they treat you like that.

Crymson
12-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Those regulations don't make sense.

Why can't you get your recall letter from the states?

And get your RIV inspection done, showing you ahve DRL's just like every other car?

Did BMW somehow petition the RIV to make changing the guage cluster a required modification?

buh_buh
12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with the RIV.
They just make you do it through the cluster before you get the letter. I'm sure the RIV doesn't really care where you get your DRLs from. BMW just wants to prevent anyone from going to Crappy Tire and get their DRL kit for $25, and instead charge $300 or whatever it is so you have to go through them.
No letter=no federal inspection

rage2
12-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
Those regulations don't make sense.

Why can't you get your recall letter from the states?

And get your RIV inspection done, showing you ahve DRL's just like every other car?

Did BMW somehow petition the RIV to make changing the guage cluster a required modification?

Originally posted by buh_buh
I don't think it has anything to do with the RIV.
They just make you do it through the cluster before you get the letter. I'm sure the RIV doesn't really care where you get your DRLs from. BMW just wants to prevent anyone from going to Crappy Tire and get their DRL kit for $25, and instead charge $300 or whatever it is so you have to go through them.
No letter=no federal inspection
Buh_buh is right, it has nothing to do with the RIV. BMW basically changed (or in the process of changing) their internal procedures. They stopped all dealers from printing out the WVI (which you can use as a recall letter). Instead, if you're legitimately interested in service and warranty history, they'll just show you on the screen. So now, the recall letter can be fully controlled by BMW Canada, and they can do ANYTHING they want before giving you that letter. Meaning a "pre-import approval letter", cluster change, DRL change, etc. Don't be surprised if they add more stuff to the list.

AFAIK, this currently only affects the 06-08 cars where you can change DRL on/off, but don't be surprised if it covers ALL BMW's later on, since BMW Canada controls the recall letter, they can do anything they want now.

Without the recall letter, you can get everything done, even register your car. But RIV will make you export the car after 90 days or something if you don't get the federal inspection done, which requires the recall letter.

max_boost
12-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Welll Lindsay Duffield was right after all. Support the local economy, lower lease rates, rebates (if any) + free maintenance, makes it a great deal to buy here.

I wonder if he lobbied for all the changes after that globe and mail Q&A hahaha :rofl:

buh_buh
12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
all cars now must have DRLs installed (up to BMW's standards, meaning no crappy tire jobs) before they issue a recall letter and as of Nov 21, VWIs are not allowed to be used in substitute of recall letter (even if you can get one).

Moe Man
12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
why do all that work for a bmw, just buy a fucken domestic

Crymson
12-04-2007, 11:57 AM
So BMW Canada has forced BMW dealers in the states to stop giving recall letters? That how I interpret this?

rage2
12-04-2007, 12:32 PM
BMW dealers in the states never gave out recall letters. They gave out Warranty Vehicle Inquiry (VWI) reports, which could be used instead of a recall letter.

Crymson
12-04-2007, 12:36 PM
AH! ok, that's pretty low. So even if you walked in to a BMW USA dealer, and said "look, i want to buy this used car, but only if you print me a VWI", they wouldn't?

So BMW is now saying, even IF you want the VWI, you have to pay for the new CLUSTER from BMW.

Benyl's point number 3, made me think that the RIV was somehow making it mandatory to get the cluster, but it's just BMW extorting people futher by saying you must also buy this cluster, or you don't get your VWI.

Sorry, i'm just a bit confused here. I've been seriously looking at the new 335's, so i've all of a sudden become concerned.

rage2
12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
They will NEVER print a WVI report anymore. The WVI report is only printable (back in the day) for the first owner, and later owners 30% of the time (depending if the owners properly got BMW to change ownership information). You wouldn't have been able to get it yourself. They'll show it to you on the screen tho.

The WVI report was never intended as a recall letter, it's just that RIV accepted it. So to answer your question, if you asked for a WVI report to try and get a car sold, it'll be even worse, because they were specifically told NOT to generate those reports for Canadians lol.

A few months ago, even if you asked a dealership for a WVI, it wouldn't have happened, they were already told not to do them for Canadians. You had to talk to the current owner or first owner to get it printed out.

Crymson
12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
And just getting a service manager from a US dealership to type up a letter on their letter head saying this VIN and vehicle has had all recalls completed, does not suffice for the RIV?

SilverGS
12-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Wow great to know that BMW Canada is thinking of so many ways to screw either their current customer base and future potential customer base.

1. Although trying they can't really justify why BMW's in Canada are so much more then in the US

2. They don't do much to match the price to their US counterparts

3. Now they change their internal policy to try and make it that much more difficult and costly for those willing to take the time and effort to get BMW's from the states. I guess they don't really need it but wouldn't the more BMW's in Canada result in them having a lot more maintenance and repair business?

I am more inclined to never buy a BMW from Canadian dealers due to these, not illegal, but very douche like policies to continue to screw the Canadian consumer.

buh_buh
12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
RIV no longer accepts VWIs as of Nov 21. Only the recall letter.

benyl
12-04-2007, 02:40 PM

Benyl's point number 3, made me think that the RIV was somehow making it mandatory to get the cluster, but it's just BMW extorting people futher by saying you must also buy this cluster, or you don't get your VWI.

The point here is two fold.

1. The new E9X with IDrive gives the owner the ability to turn DRLs on and off at will. This allows you to pass Federal without spending $500 at a BMW dealership for them to do this 2 minute change in the computer.

2. I suspect that the Canadian cluster prevents this option from being available to the user, thus removes liability from BMW. Any car built after 1990 must, by law, conform to having DRLs. I think BMW is doing the cluster change to make some cash, but also to cover their ass.

legendboy
12-04-2007, 02:48 PM
just take your car to canadian tire instead, they won't sweat you on the cluster

benyl
12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
BMW won't give you the recall letter without doing the cluster.

rc2002
12-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
I am more inclined to never buy a BMW from Canadian dealers due to these, not illegal, but very douche like policies to continue to screw the Canadian consumer.

+1. Very poor business practices. Horror stories from dealerships. I don't think I'll ever own a BMW.

Hollywood
12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Fuck bmw, forge the letter. Other non bmw mechanics can turn on the DRLs too.

RIV website still says they accept the WI what ever.

They dont export your car after 90 days. I was 4 months on my mishibishi.

Euro838
12-17-2007, 04:14 PM
What about used or older BMWs? Is it still difficult to get a WVI?

benyl
01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
So, if you look at the RIV list, no cars are admissible without talking to BMW first.

Nice, BMW is trying to be Mercedes. hahaha.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/VAFUS/list/VAFUS.pdf

rc2002
01-29-2008, 01:04 PM
The manufacturer has not provided
information to TC on the admissibility of BMW
vehicles. Please contact an authorized
Canadian BMW or MINI Retailer to request a
letter of admissibility, and for information
regarding the exact nature and costs of
modifications required. The modifications vary
by model and may be expensive.

Visit the BMW Canada website at
www.bmw.ca for detailed contact information
regarding retailers in Canada, as well as
information on U.S. vehicle importation.
ALL modifications MUST be performed by an
authorized Canadian BMW or MINI Retailer
and must be completed before a recall
clearance letter can be issued by BMW Group
Canada.

Prior to reviewing your request for a letter of
admissibility, the following information must be
provided:
- Model
- Model year
- 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

An official letter of admissibility from BMW
Group Canada must be presented to a
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
officer at time of importation. In addition, the
official recall clearance letter obtained from
BMW Group Canada once the required
retrofits have been completed and
documented by an authorized Canadian BMW
or Mini Retailer, must be presented to the
Registrar of Imported Vehicles in order to
properly register a vehicle.

Way to go BMW. No one else is resisting pricing disparity as much as these greedy bastards.

CK4500
02-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Holy Fuck! Unbelievable what you have to go through to get a BMW imported.

I feel bad for anyone who is going through this shit. I've imported two Toyotas and a Nissan without any bullshit like this.

Which reminds me........

What's the difference between a BMW and a Porcupine?

A Porcupine has the pricks on the outside!

:rofl: :poosie: :rofl:

pinoyhero
02-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Way to go BMW. No one else is resisting pricing disparity as much as these greedy bastards.

Almost agree ... have you checked out mercs, OMG was down south and saw a very nice ML350 with nav etc for 46000, checked it out here, only 65000, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will not be buying a BMW or Merc again.

StupidWade
02-01-2008, 12:30 PM
The funniest thing to me is that all this trouble is rotating on bloody daytime running lights.

It's not ABS, not airbags or seatbelts or bumpers or side impact beams, but stupid DRLs which are probably the least important safety feature of any car.

riceeater
02-01-2008, 05:40 PM
so what's the big deal here?? You need a new cluster, because the module for the DRLs is in there... it was the same thing when i brought my SRT4 over, i needed a new cluster to make the DRLs work... But when i got inspected (at the dealer), they never checked the cluster, they just wanted to see the front lights come on... i just added my own relay getting power from one of the wires that turns on when you turn the key, and that was it... cost me under $10, instead of over $1000 for a new cluster...

the recall inspection for me was a lot easier, i simply called chrysler and they sent me a letter saying that all recalls have been done on the car, and that was it. If i remember right, i only needed this later, not to bring the car in... i think i sent it in with the paperwork the border officer gives you to send in to the government along with the $200 fee...

as for letter of admisibility, i never brought one, and no one at the border cared... At the border they only really care about a couple things:

-they want to see proof of how much you paid for the car. bill of sale IS NOT ENOUGH, you have to prove how much you paid so they can charge you taxes
-they want to see the title of the car
-they want you to pay the 6% tax on the spot
-they'll check if hte car is admissible in canada against some list they have there...

that's it, for me it was super easy, and within less than half an hour i was out of there and driving home... there's no real US border paperwork that i remember, coz if you think about it, your first border point is in Canada, not as you leave the US, so there is nothing to show to the US border people

SilverGS
02-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by riceeater
so what's the big deal here?? You need a new cluster, because the module for the DRLs is in there... it was the same thing when i brought my SRT4 over, i needed a new cluster to make the DRLs work... But when i got inspected (at the dealer), they never checked the cluster, they just wanted to see the front lights come on... i just added my own relay getting power from one of the wires that turns on when you turn the key, and that was it... cost me under $10, instead of over $1000 for a new cluster...

the recall inspection for me was a lot easier, i simply called chrysler and they sent me a letter saying that all recalls have been done on the car, and that was it. If i remember right, i only needed this later, not to bring the car in... i think i sent it in with the paperwork the border officer gives you to send in to the government along with the $200 fee...

as for letter of admisibility, i never brought one, and no one at the border cared... At the border they only really care about a couple things:

-they want to see proof of how much you paid for the car. bill of sale IS NOT ENOUGH, you have to prove how much you paid so they can charge you taxes
-they want to see the title of the car
-they want you to pay the 6% tax on the spot
-they'll check if hte car is admissible in canada against some list they have there...

that's it, for me it was super easy, and within less than half an hour i was out of there and driving home... there's no real US border paperwork that i remember, coz if you think about it, your first border point is in Canada, not as you leave the US, so there is nothing to show to the US border people

That is what the problem here is. BMW has made it so a simple process like you just described is not possible. They have put policies, procedures, and fees in place to "discourage" people from buying BMW in the States and bringing it up to Canada.

To make things worse a lot of these things put in place are not for any really good reason other than they want their cut of all BMW coming into Canada.

In the case of the DRL's. You don't even need to add a relay to the BMW cluster. DRL is an option set on the computer to be either on or off. However, because newer BMW's apparently allow the option for DRL's to be turned of with the computer they are using that to say they need to change the entire cluster to the CDN version to remove that option. Then they went further to say that only BMW Dealerships can do the change at a cost of ~2500 depending on vehicle to you. If you don't get it done with them they will not issue you out the letter of recall. Along with that they are charging $500 for recall letter and $800 for the Letter of admissibility that you got for free and telling their US counterparts to not print out the letter of admissibility or recall letter to CDN buyers.

That is what the big deal is

Gripenfelter
02-03-2008, 09:31 AM
My cousin just paid $2000 to import her E46 M3.

Bimmer88
02-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Wow I read it all and from the sounds of it... BMW importing is complete BS! They just don't want everyone to own one... sigh...

So anyone up for smuggling Bimmers? lol

And why do YOU! have to pay for a friggin recall letter or w.e. BMW Canada should be happy were purchasing their car, and give us one for free. Damn I wish I was prime minister now I'd totally change the law on importing.

ZorroAMG
02-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
Wow I read it all and from the sounds of it... BMW importing is complete BS! They just don't want everyone to own one... sigh...

So anyone up for smuggling Bimmers? lol

And why do YOU! have to pay for a friggin recall letter or w.e. BMW Canada should be happy were purchasing their car, and give us one for free. Damn I wish I was prime minister now I'd totally change the law on importing.

Can you READ? BMW Canada is a different entity than BMW USA. You are NOT buying a car from BMW Canada, you are buying an american BMW and that's why they don't like it and try to make things more difficult. Otherwise everyone will be bringing cars from the states, saving thousands and BMW canada will be holding their cocks with a ton of overpriced stock.

Skim readers FTMFL.

assram
02-04-2008, 01:40 PM
If you want to import a new 5-series (e60).. you have to do the instrument cluster too.. and that's 3500+ gst..

if you want to import an older 3-series it's only a programming change for DRL.. that's only about 300 bucks..
(plus recall letter, and admissibility letter).. not great.. but deals are definitely to be had on m3's.. 330ci's..

warranty is also recognized up in Canada too..

There are potential savings of thousands, if u look for it..

SilverGS
02-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah used BMW's are not affected quite as much but its still $1000 more than it used to be.

I guess they don't want to be in the service industry. Why not have as many BMW's on the road as possible. Everyone will need their cars serviced and most will go with a BMW dealership. They already charge an arm and a leg for service fees so make your maintenance departments and put those cars through.

HondaRice
02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
what about the bmw 7 series? do you have to replace the cluster for 2002 ? or is it digital no bashing please i could not find information on it. thank you

funkedelic
02-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice
what about the bmw 7 series? do you have to replace the cluster for 2002 ? or is it digital no bashing please i could not find information on it. thank you

you dont need to replace the cluster for a 7 series if its a 2002

Idratherbsidewayz
02-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I just got off the phone with BMW, to bring a 1997-2002 (e39) 540i over, itll cost:

Admissibility Letter $350
US Recall Letter $500
Reprogram DRL - $3300 :eek: (Apparently the whole cluster and heater controls have to be changed)

Total: $4150 WTF!?!?!?!?

BMW can go fuck themselves.

tc3
02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
I just got off the phone with BMW, to bring a 1997-2002 (e39) 540i over, itll cost:

Admissibility Letter $350
US Recall Letter $500
Reprogram DRL - $3300 :eek: (Apparently the whole cluster and heater controls have to be changed)

Total: $4150 WTF!?!?!?!?

BMW can go fuck themselves.

Are you serious?!?!
That's (cluster) more expensive for an than the newer models!!
I might just give up on my M5 search if they're seriously charging that much for a past model series.

rage2
02-18-2008, 11:06 PM
I was told they're replacing cluster + controls for e46's as well, including M3. Which is bullshit, because you can program the controls, odo, DRL, everything with the US ones.

Idratherbsidewayz
02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Now its just a cash grab.

I mean Rage is driving a US bought e46 around legally without all this shit. Hopefully people will complain that its extortion enough and they'll have to stop with the Gestapo tactics...

SilverGS
02-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
Now its just a cash grab.

I mean Rage is driving a US bought e46 around legally without all this shit. Hopefully people will complain that its extortion enough and they'll have to stop with the Gestapo tactics...

It was a crash grab the day they started these "New Policies" people have had no trouble bringing in used and new BMW's into Canada the past few years until all these fees and requirements.

rc2002
02-19-2008, 10:25 AM
If BMW Canada really wanted to piss people off, they would convince transport Canada to mandate all BMW's to have new clusters to be legally registered in Canada.

Canmorite
02-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

It was a crash grab the day they started these "New Policies" people have had no trouble bringing in used and new BMW's into Canada the past few years until all these fees and requirements.

These regulations are fucking retarded.

Crymson
02-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
If BMW Canada really wanted to piss people off, they would convince transport Canada to mandate all BMW's to have new clusters to be legally registered in Canada.

that's essentially what they did, didn't they? You go to the RIV, and NOW it says, in the BMW section, that they've refused to submit any admissibility information, and all modifications MUST be done through BMW.

That said. Anyone know what needs to be done for a Z3, a friend of mine has his heart set on one from texas, but is afraid of what it may cost to make admissible at the BMW dealership.

benyl
02-19-2008, 03:33 PM
tell him to call BMW.

Reap
02-28-2008, 03:50 PM
another reason why BMW is shit

rc2002
02-28-2008, 03:52 PM

that's essentially what they did, didn't they? You go to the RIV, and NOW it says, in the BMW section, that they've refused to submit any admissibility information, and all modifications MUST be done through BMW.

I meant for all the ones that have already been imported and registered in Canada. When they go to renew their car they find out they can't because admissibility information has changed.

benyl
02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
They can't make the rules retroactive unless it is a safety concern.

rc2002
02-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Isn't DRL considered a safety feature? If they claim they "need" the cluster in order to properly engage the DRL, would that be adequate grounds?

benyl
02-28-2008, 04:49 PM
The thing is, you don't. It is only an issue with the new generation of cars. The e46 DRL cannot be turned off without a BMW computer. On teh E90, it can.