PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an apprentice

Maddog55
11-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm looking for a helper. Someone who wants to learn the trade and stick with it. Not just some fill-in job.

I'm a tile setter. I'm a small company, but lots of work. As many hours as you want. 80 to 100 hrs per cheque, no problem.

Requirements:

Dependable, have your own transportation, willing to learn, physically strong, good "construction sense".

I do mostly residential and I run a laid back crew and work mostly in the South in new sub-divisions.

It's a good trade, you're always inside, and good money for journeymen setters.

If you're serious PM me. You can ask any question in the open forum.

ercchry
11-28-2007, 07:22 PM
so after years of doing this how are the knees treating you? we have a family friend that use to do this type of work and had to switch because of his knees....

and what is the range of wage?

Maddog55
11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
People always ask about my knees. They're okay. I've been doing tile for over 25 years now, and while they'll get sore after a long 10 hour day, laying over 500 feet, they don't give me any problems. I have good $200 knee pads so that helps.

But the worst is your back...that does give me a lot of pain most of the time. That was from years of heavy commercial work. Granite slabs etc.

Pay range is dependant upon your "skill"...12-15 to start. But within a year you'll be up to 18-20 if you're a skilled worker. $25 within a a year after that.

But a good journeyman tilesetter can easily make 80 to 100 g's in todays market. Not to mention how easy it is to do "side jobs" for friends for cash. My son can easily make a grand over the weekend for a side job.

403Gemini
11-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Excellent profession to start in, especially somebody in their early 20's, if you stick with this you can make some MAD coin.

freshprince1
11-29-2007, 11:28 AM
pm'd

Maddog55
12-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Still looking. sent replies, heard from some, haven't from others.

Doing a big job down in Cranston right now, if anyone would like to drop by, see whats involved, talk, etc. I can take on someone right away if they're interested in staying on.

alieno1
12-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Holy crap, if I was living in Calgary I would take this job. I'm a tile setter in Edmonton working for myself, but never learned under a Journeyman, wish I had a shot at this.

Would totally recommend it guys, this trade will take you places and Dave does some amazing work and really knows his stuff.

Never see ya too often at the John Bridge forum Dave, you must be really busy! Take it easy man and good luck finding an apprentice.;)