PDA

View Full Version : IRS for ae 86?

finboy
07-17-2003, 06:23 PM
is there any cheap available independent rear suspension set ups for ae 86's (ie supra, celica, swap over kind of thing)?

i'm working on ideas for the next project, i was thinking carolla gts or fc rx7 with blown motor.

anyone?

Cueman
07-17-2003, 06:31 PM
cheap?

solid rear axle is a defining factor of ae86. Semi-trailing types like the supra, celica, 510 and even FC are worse off IMHO.

Still... I believe Revolver or another major Japanese tuner makes a conversion kit. Certainly not cheap.

Certainly wouldn't be hard to steal bits from an RA6X Celica or MA6X Supra, but then you might as well buy the whole car. ;)

finboy
07-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Cueman
cheap?

solid rear axle is a defining factor of ae86. Semi-trailing types like the supra, celica, 510 and even FC are worse off IMHO.

Still... I believe Revolver or another major Japanese tuner makes a conversion kit. Certainly not cheap.

Certainly wouldn't be hard to steal bits from an RA6X Celica or MA6X Supra, but then you might as well buy the whole car. ;)

thats what i was afraid of, i wanted to make an excellent handling car with RWD and i see ae86's going into the junkyard all the time, so grabbing one w/o a motor would be EASY.

finding an rx7 with a nuked motor is a bit harder but i have seen a few around, how about the first gen rx7's for handling (even though they are ugly IMO)?

method
07-17-2003, 06:51 PM
dont start with an ae86 if you want an 'excellent handling car'

if you have the time and the money to be doing all sorts of fab work, dont start with a car like that, there's better platforms out there. 1st gen rx7 is a better choice for that kind of app methinks.

jennyanniemary
07-17-2003, 07:03 PM
what are u talking about 86s are the best drift car it was a fluke in nature that everything make it drive sides the best except that the motors can be a lil more powerful, in a old issue of scc the 10sec rolla early 80s with the 3tc and he use a datsun truck rear eng maybe u can do the same for a 86, but i think the 86 is pretty narrow i dont think there are any solid axle that wont make the wheels way out side the car (might need fender flares)

Originally posted by method
dont start with an ae86 if you want an 'excellent handling car'

if you have the time and the money to be doing all sorts of fab work, dont start with a car like that, there's better platforms out there. 1st gen rx7 is a better choice for that kind of app methinks.

5.9 R/T
07-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Drifting does not = good handling.

finboy
07-17-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Drifting does not = good handling.

exactly

jennyanniemary
07-17-2003, 07:18 PM
u want to handle then get a miata or rx7 if u ppl are talking about 50/50 weight
then why the hell do u want solid rears if u dont want to drift
u might as well get leaf spring too then, i think i read you post wrong, sorry
hell pull the rear end from a 240
its independent

4wheeldrift
07-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by jennyanniemary
u want to handle then get a miata or rx7 if u ppl are talking about 50/50 weight 50/50 weight distribution is not necessary for a car to handle well either. Lots of great handling machines out there with less than optimum weight distribution.

method
07-17-2003, 07:59 PM
yeah, there's way more factors out there to define a car that handles well.

ae86s themselves are balanced reasonably well, but they also have a flexy chassis, solid rear, blah blah

still fun cars, but there's better things out there.

jennyanniemary
07-17-2003, 11:11 PM
some have said dont brace up the 86 it works best flexing a lil
if u plan to be sideways alot u might as well lock up the back too
so i dont see anything wrong with the 86
just for different style

okay fine then what is a good handling car then (stock)

Originally posted by method
yeah, there's way more factors out there to define a car that handles well.

ae86s themselves are balanced reasonably well, but they also have a flexy chassis, solid rear, blah blah

still fun cars, but there's better things out there.

GTS Jeff
07-18-2003, 12:57 AM
ok jennyanniemary...LEARN TO PUNCTUATE. NO ONE CAN READ YOUR POSTS!!

with that said, the ae86 is not the best handler out there, but its FUN in the corner. thats why ppl like it.

T5_X
07-18-2003, 02:35 AM
Other extremely well handling cars are the S12 (200sx turbo) its a lot like the AE86, but a little lighter and has IRS, plus is set up for better engine swaps. Also the porshe 924/44. Very good suspension setup, and a transaxle which brings weight distribution to very near 50/50.
Then of course, there's the 2nd gen RX7, AW11 and Fiero.

4wheeldrift
07-18-2003, 06:57 AM
Everyone's definition of what a good handling car is is going to be different.

finboy
07-18-2003, 12:23 PM
went to the junkyard today to look at rear suspension set ups and weight of cars.

the two that interested me...

200sx - decent rear suspension, but all of them were rusted and they look a bit heavy for what i am looking for

1st gen RX7 - rear suspension isn't great (solid axle) but is REALLY light and they seem to be cheaper to buy (not to mention tonnes of intercooler roon ;) ), the bolt patern kind of threw me too, seems like an odd bolt patern, good 50/50 weight distribution is pretty kick ass though :thumbsup:

Cueman
07-18-2003, 05:35 PM
On the GSL-SE, I beleive bolt pattern is the same as AE86 and other Nissan's. 4x114.3. GSL-SE also comes with LSD (must have) and 13B if your unaware.

200SX, does not have a good reputation at all as far as electronics and chassis integrity go. But certainly good looking cars. Also a little on the porky side if we're comparing with 86 and SA22 or FB.

Solid axle vs semi-trailing arm... I take the solid axle any day.

Why?
zero camber change and toe change under bump
positive roll steer effects
tough and reliable

Why not?
lots of unsprung weight
not adjustable
not so great on the bumps

If your building a stiffly sprung car, at some point it really makes little difference IMHO whether or not the wheels are connected.

I'd pick the RX7 over the 200sx without any doubt. And... I love the AE86, but the RX7 dominates as far as power, weight and affordability are concerned.

method
07-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by jennyanniemary
some have said dont brace up the 86 it works best flexing a lil
if u plan to be sideways alot u might as well lock up the back too
so i dont see anything wrong with the 86
just for different style

okay fine then what is a good handling car then (stock)

uh... yeah... I used to own one.

la la la