PDA

View Full Version : Class 3 Driver Training

kaput
11-29-2007, 07:36 PM

svtlight
11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
I went to the A driving school beside Levitt's ice scream shop ( Lics) in parkdale.. it was pretty good. There is the Q for airbrakes on your license that takes a day to do (easy). I can't remember exactly how much it was.. maybe $600 in all?? depends how much time you spend practicing with a teacher in the truck.

kaput
11-30-2007, 05:37 PM

ZC_CIVIC
11-30-2007, 11:40 PM
yeah i paid around that 2 years ago when i got my class 1, but the best thing is to find somone that you know with a full size long box truck and a 28' or bigger trailor and drive that for a few weeks b4 you go into truck training for the soul reason being that you sort of get the hang of driving such a long unit truck with a 53 trailor it makes it a bit easyer of an adjustment. i got mine thro SGI in sask. and for your airbrakes thats easy to get but if your going for your class 3 make sure not to pull what the guy did in etown last time i was there ( was a driver trainee too lol) turn at a light and cut a little short and run over the front end of a jetta haha it was funny...but yeah most places are the same for training just like class 5...so call around and ask for the rates and prices...but yeah!

schurchill39
12-01-2007, 01:29 AM
If you are going to do it I would suggest going for your class 1. There are way more opportunities with your class 1 that for a few hundred more it was well worth it.

Now depending on what school you go through your air brakes might be included and if not then its only like $120 and its a day course.

I cant suggest places in calgary to get it because I got my class 1 in Medicine Hat but I can tell you that for $900 I got 9 and a half hours of in the truck training then I got the truck for an hour and a half for my test. I had experience in class 3 vehicles though so it was just a matter of learning how a 53' trailer worked.

If you have never been around trucks before I would suggest going for a full out training course. Through the company I got mine at they offered a course that consisted of 10 hours of in the class training, air brakes, some small mechanics and maitenance of a big rig, 12 hours of in the truck, your hours of service course and your road test.... all for like $2200-$2500. This would be your best bet. You dont have any experience but any company will appreciate the effort you have made to go out and get the training and that way you have a good basis to build off of.

Now to answer the original question (if i have to....) Every where I have looked is 600-800 for just your in the truck training (which I dont recommend doing at all if you have never driven one) [class 3]

AVATDL
12-01-2007, 01:37 AM
^^ this guy knows what he's talking about.

Rat Fink
12-01-2007, 04:19 AM

kaput
12-01-2007, 10:09 AM

spikerS
12-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by svtlight
I went to the A driving school beside Levitt's ice scream shop ( Lics) in parkdale.. it was pretty good. There is the Q for airbrakes on your license that takes a day to do (easy). I can't remember exactly how much it was.. maybe $600 in all?? depends how much time you spend practicing with a teacher in the truck.

Same place i got mine and i recomend them. but when i got mine way back in the day, it only cost me $350. that was for like 8 hours in truck training, air brake course for the Q endorsement, and use of the truck for the road test.

johnboy27
12-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
If you are going to do it I would suggest going for your class 1. There are way more opportunities with your class 1 that for a few hundred more it was well worth it.

Now depending on what school you go through your air brakes might be included and if not then its only like $120 and its a day course.

I cant suggest places in calgary to get it because I got my class 1 in Medicine Hat but I can tell you that for $900 I got 9 and a half hours of in the truck training then I got the truck for an hour and a half for my test. I had experience in class 3 vehicles though so it was just a matter of learning how a 53' trailer worked.

If you have never been around trucks before I would suggest going for a full out training course. Through the company I got mine at they offered a course that consisted of 10 hours of in the class training, air brakes, some small mechanics and maitenance of a big rig, 12 hours of in the truck, your hours of service course and your road test.... all for like $2200-$2500. This would be your best bet. You dont have any experience but any company will appreciate the effort you have made to go out and get the training and that way you have a good basis to build off of.

Now to answer the original question (if i have to....) Every where I have looked is 600-800 for just your in the truck training (which I dont recommend doing at all if you have never driven one) [class 3]

You are right,class one is the way to go. You will never be unemployed with a class one liscense no matter what province you move to in the future. I got hired with a fracturing company with a class 5 and within three months I had a class one with a total cost of 200 bucks. It has since made me about 80,000 bucks.