PDA

View Full Version : Getting a title when purchasing a US car.

rusich
11-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Has anyone here gone through purchasing a US car from somebody who's leasing in through Toyota Finance? The title is in posession of Toyota finance and they can only release it after 10 days that the payment is complete. I wanted to bring the car myself and I am just not sure how to coordinate the process.

P.S. I have imorted a new Toy before, but had an MSO from the dealer right after making the payment.
Thanks guys.

rage2
11-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Ya, it's easy. Pay, then wait. Or buy car with a clear title.

rusich
12-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Rage, when you say pay, how do I protect myself from loosing the money in the transaction? Do we sign a bill of sale and the vehicle considered to be mine or/and is there more to it?
Thanks.

Kobe
12-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by rusich
Rage, when you say pay, how do I protect myself from loosing the money in the transaction? Do we sign a bill of sale and the vehicle considered to be mine or/and is there more to it?
Thanks.

State on the bill of sale the conditions...

Prelude
12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
my friend has the same problem. the owner had a loan on the car and already pay off, but the owner will receive the title in 6 weeks:eek: ! can he just bring the car back to Vancouver and wait until he gets the title, then bring the car back to US wait for the 3 days period? because my friend donest want stay in US for 6 weeks and doesnt want the car park in US for that long time without seeing it.

Weapon_R
12-05-2007, 08:44 PM
no you cannot cross the border without a title.

Find a car that doesn't have a lien on it.

Prelude
12-05-2007, 09:06 PM
but he already pay off the loan....now just waiting for the title..

Prelude
12-05-2007, 09:07 PM
is there anyway that the owner( US one) drive the car into canada and just say hes visiting, then say he sold the car in canada?

funkedelic
12-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Prelude
is there anyway that the owner( US one) drive the car into canada and just say hes visiting, then say he sold the car in canada?

No.

Team_Mclaren
12-05-2007, 10:12 PM

the car has to return to US if you want to export it. The vehicle MUST remain in US 72 hours prior to exportation. That is when you fax your paperwork to the broader

Prelude
12-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

the car has to return to US if you want to export it. The vehicle MUST remain in US 72 hours prior to exportation. That is when you fax your paperwork to the broader
yes i understand the car has to return to US during the exporting period, but i want to know if we can just bring the car back to canada to keep it in the garge during the time waiting for the title?

funkedelic
12-05-2007, 10:37 PM

yes i understand the car has to return to US during the exporting period, but i want to know if we can just bring the car back to canada to keep it in the garge during the time waiting for the title?

So basically the US owner is going to drive the car to Canada for you, and say he is visiting. You then want to leave it here until your paper work shows up?

Why not just wait it out, you are complicating things a lot more.

When the U.S Owner returns to the states, they will be wondering why he doesn't have his car anymore, and they might give him a hard time. Also, you will still need to go back to the states with you car, and export it on the U.S Side, then go through the Canadian side and pay for everything. They will be wondering what the hell is going on, if you tell them the truth and trust me, you don't want to be hassled at the border.

Why not just wait and then do it all at once so you don't have to make a trip back

Prelude
12-05-2007, 10:42 PM
because my friend cannot stay in US for 6 weeks to wait for the title and theres no place to park the car in US(parking will be very expansive for 6 weeks plus he doesnt want the car stay in a unsafe place)...he just want to put the car in my garge and leave it here until he gets the title from the seller then we will bring the car back to US and do the exporting...my home is very close to the border(20 mins drive). all i want to ask is is this possible to bing the car back to canada to storage...
thanks for the help guys, please help!:clap:

Prelude
12-05-2007, 10:43 PM
plus my friend already payed the money, so he doesnt want let he car park at he seller's house cuz we dont know that guy at all( just in case something happens)

funkedelic
12-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Which port are you going through?

If you are planing on going through Sweet Grass, there is a place there where you can leave your car. There is a little bar there right across from the gas station, it is a bar/restraunt. It is the only one there i think but it's pretty big you can't miss it.

Go in there and talk to the lady that owns the place. She will tell you that there is a big yard behind the bar where there are tons of cars that are just sitting there.

They charge $2 a day or something to leave your car there. There are benzes, Bmw's, audi's, brand new escalades, ect in there. You could just leave your car there if you wanted to, there is a section that is also enclosed and fenced off as well but you have to pay more for that i believe.

Anyway, last time i was there i saw a gt3! So your car should be safe, just an alternative. Good luck with the situation!

kaput
12-05-2007, 10:47 PM

Prelude
12-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic
Which port are you going through?

If you are planing on going through Sweet Grass, there is a place there where you can leave your car. There is a little bar there right across from the gas station, it is a bar/restraunt. It is the only one there i think but it's pretty big you can't miss it.

Go in there and talk to the lady that owns the place. She will tell you that there is a big yard behind the bar where there are tons of cars that are just sitting there.

They charge $2 a day or something to leave your car there. There are benzes, Bmw's, audi's, brand new escalades, ect in there. You could just leave your car there if you wanted to, there is a section that is also enclosed and fenced off as well but you have to pay more for that i believe.

Anyway, last time i was there i saw a gt3! So your car should be safe, just an alternative. Good luck with the situation!
we are crossing at Peach border...
he bought an STI and he doesnt want to park the car that he cant see...cuz the car has a lot of mods like expansive Defis and stuff...
thanks for the help funkedlic!
is there any way to bring it back to my garge to storage the car...he said he doesnt mind to bring the car back to US and wait 3 days...just want to be safe...picky guy...

Prelude
12-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Your friend is an idiot. He should have done his homework before handing over the money, especially tens of thousands of dollars.
yes he IS, and please give me some useful comments! thanks man!:)

kaput
12-06-2007, 08:26 PM

Prelude
12-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Finally the problem solved. I found a storage company which is 3 miles away from the border and they charge only $50 for monthly parking with gated and security lot. woohoo..now just waiting for the title..

rusich
12-08-2007, 12:46 AM
I have another question. How do I make sure that the seller takes the lien, placed by a financing company, off the title. After the money has been paid and Bill of sale signed.

Weapon_R
12-08-2007, 01:15 AM
well the problem is, you don't. You've got to be trusting. I would personally stick to a reputable dealer or a car without a lien.

Prelude
12-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by rusich
I have another question. How do I make sure that the seller takes the lien, placed by a financing company, off the title. After the money has been paid and Bill of sale signed.
go to the bank with the seller, pay off the car together.