PDA

View Full Version : Sea Food Places!

clone705
12-03-2007, 05:55 AM
Now I love red lobster everytime i go there the foods great but does anyone know of other places in town that have great seafood?:drool:

icecreamvan
12-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I hear that strip by the Spaghetti Factory in Eau Claire has some nice clams.

sputnik
12-03-2007, 08:02 AM
UGH... Red Lobster is FAR from good, I can make better seafood from M&M Meat Shops.

Good seafood restaurants are pretty rare in Calgary. Even The Catch on Stephen Ave which is supposed to be high end can be pretty hit and miss.

bigboom
12-03-2007, 10:01 AM
try oceana i havent been since they moved locations from 4th street but i always enjoyed it there.

Vagabond142
12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
If you're in a rush for good seafood... Joey's Only.... for sit-down and really good seafood.... no clue, but heard good things about Oceana

legendboy
12-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Big Fish

edmonton trail and 11th

KappaSigma
12-03-2007, 10:22 AM
I heard Bookers downtown, across from Cecil hotel/drop in center is very very good.

clem24
12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
If you're in a rush for good seafood... Joey's Only.... for sit-down and really good seafood.... no clue, but heard good things about Oceana

Ahahahahaha.... I can't stop laughing. Joey's Only?!?! And judging by some people's responses (Spaghetti Factory --- oh please), seafood really isn't a big thing for Calgarians.

Honestly, Calgary sucks dick for seafood. I guess that's what happens when you're in a land locked city. The best seafood is the one you make yourself. Seriously. Seafood tastes best just boiled in slight brine/salt water or steamed. All that fancy schmancy garlic/au gratin/whatever you get at high class places just take away from the real flavour of it.

If you can stomach it, just go buy a live lobster (and if you're humane, put it in the freezer for 20 mins before cooking) and toss it into a boiling pot. 15 mins and you've got fresh stuff. Clams? Just toss them into a boiling pot and eat with tobbasco or ponzu. Crab? Buy a fresh one and shove it in upside down into a steamer. Get the point? Seafood just tastes good without any special skills.

But.. If you must go out and eat.. Well, I can't really help much there. Red Lobster blows goats. And expensive. For what I hear, Catch is your best bet. I've also wanted to try the few sit down tables at Boyd's Seafood Market across from the Foothills.

Another way to do it is to visit an Asian/Chinese restaurant. Jst about all of them "specialize" in seafood. Hope that helps.

JordanEG6
12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
I hear that strip by the Spaghetti Factory in Eau Claire has some nice clams.

hahahahaha if you were joking, i got it....if not, than im just plain dirty :rofl: :rofl:

Lucky97
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Bookers. sunday and monday. all you can eat snowcrab for 35 bucks

ekguy
12-03-2007, 01:29 PM
just go to New Brunswick. Some of the best lobster in the world. Calgary has no seafood. Red Lobster is like the McDonald's of seafood i can't believe people are ignorant enough to think it's good food there hahahaha. rough.

buh_buh
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Red Lobster is brutal.
I have friends that used to work there, and they told me most of the time they just "cook" their $30 crab in the microwave.

clem24
12-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
just go to New Brunswick.

Great advice guy... :rolleyes:

icecreamvan
12-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Red Lobster is brutal.
I have friends that used to work there, and they told me most of the time they just "cook" their $30 crab in the microwave.

What do you expect when all their cooks keep getting uppercut?:dunno:

clem24
12-03-2007, 02:50 PM

What do you expect when all their cooks keep getting uppercut?:dunno:

:rofl:

ekguy
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Great advice guy... :rolleyes:

some food connoisseurs will travel for something like good seafood...same as people will travel to taste good wine

Barlow
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
oceana, in eau claire is terrific,

Catch is awesome, not sure someone above doesn;t like it.... not sure why.

also, murriettas (sp) has good seafood.

szw
12-03-2007, 06:10 PM
wow icecreamvan is on a roll

85regal
12-03-2007, 07:37 PM
someone who says red lobster is good for seafood has no idea what good seafood is...you are missing out

buh_buh
12-03-2007, 07:41 PM

What do you expect when all their cooks keep getting uppercut?:dunno: :rofl: best thread of all time

Boost Infested
12-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Joey's only = great seafood? dude, you have standards... low standards. :rofl:

Impreza
12-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Oceana ftmfw

Raven_R1
12-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
Joey's only = great seafood? dude, you have standards... low standards. :rofl:

Hahahahaha

Maddog55
12-06-2007, 12:30 AM
I love lobster. We often buy them live for a great Steak and lobster BBQ.

I've found the Catch to be hit and miss as well. Wasn't overly impressed.

But if you love crab..and I do, even more than lobster, the Greenwood Inn Hotel up by 32nd and Barlow has unlimited Crab on Friday nights for $34.00 It's not a seafood place, but the crab is awesome..and its non stop!!! I starve myself all day and pig right out. MMmmmmmm

msommers
12-06-2007, 02:35 AM
The Catch is OK, and considering how much it costs there I don't bother going anymore.

Big Fish on Edmonton Trail and ~10th-11th ave NE is excellent, really nice and small with great food.

Also if you're feeling adventurous, try Billings Gate and cook your own seafood. :drool:

About the New Brunswick comment, I really have to agree. Finding excellent in Alberta, let alone Calgary is hard, really hard. Seafood out east is just amazing!

sexualbanana
12-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by msommers

About the New Brunswick comment, I really have to agree. Finding excellent in Alberta, let alone Calgary is hard, really hard. Seafood out east is just amazing!

But not even remotely relevant. That's like asking someone where a good place to get sushi in Calgary is, and they answer Japan.

msommers
12-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
But not even remotely relevant. That's like asking someone where a good place to get sushi in Calgary is, and they answer Japan.

I listed suggestions yet added the reality that you can't compare when you've had stuff out east.

sexualbanana
12-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by msommers

I listed suggestions yet added the reality that you can't compare when you've had stuff out east.

You did, yes. And I agree with you.

I was referring more to your defense of ekguy's post about going to New Brunswick.

ekguy
12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
hey seriously it's not that expensive to go back to nb. it's not a bad place to visit in the summer and seriously alot of good talent on the beaches paired with cold beer, mussels, lobster, fried clams...man can't go wrong with that. plus camp grounds like 30 feet from the beach and hearing the ocean all the time it's relaxing as fuck while your cooking fresh lobster over a nice fire hehehe. come on someone on here tell me that dosn't sound like a fun trip.

dragonone
12-07-2007, 02:29 AM
if u were to get on a plane for seafood, go to van
if u think red lobster's ok, just about any seafood in most restaurants can satisfy u lol

imo the catch is about as creative as u can get in this city with seafood

Maddog55
12-07-2007, 06:37 PM
hey seriously it's not that expensive to go back to nb. it's not a bad place to visit in the summer and seriously alot of good talent on the beaches paired with cold beer, mussels, lobster, fried clams...man can't go wrong with that. plus camp grounds like 30 feet from the beach and hearing the ocean all the time it's relaxing as fuck while your cooking fresh lobster over a nice fire hehehe. come on someone on here tell me that dosn't sound like a fun trip.

Geeze that sounds awesome. Wife and I have never been east. But she loves the ocean and seafood. We just might give this a try next summer.

ekguy
12-08-2007, 11:25 AM
and to be a douche but lobster is better in nb than bc since it's colder water which affects the taste of the lobster positively...We are known to have some of the best lobster in the world. It's absolutely delicious out there when it comes to seafood.

On another note anywhere's in calgary sell fried clams???

clem24
12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
and to be a douche but lobster is better in nb than bc since it's colder water which affects the taste of the lobster positively...We are known to have some of the best lobster in the world. It's absolutely delicious out there when it comes to seafood.

I hope you realize that the lobster we eat are only found on the east coast right (Atlantic)? The pacific produces dungeoness crab, which are not found on the east. Maybe you're referring to the tanks they are kept in? Which wouldn't make a diff cause in the east, you'd still get your lobster from a tank unless you can source some from a fisherman.

On another note anywhere's in calgary sell fried clams???

Man, NOTHING beats the fried clams from the east. I have not found a single place anywhere else that comes close. I went to Ozzie's by St. Andrews (I think) and man, the best fried seafood I've ever had in my life. I've only seen fried clams at Joey's :barf:

B20EF
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Big Fish

edmonton trail and 11th

:werd: This is the only place I go for Seafood here

cityhunter2501
12-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Ahahahahaha.... I can't stop laughing. Joey's Only?!?! And judging by some people's responses (Spaghetti Factory --- oh please), seafood really isn't a big thing for Calgarians.

Honestly, Calgary sucks dick for seafood. I guess that's what happens when you're in a land locked city. The best seafood is the one you make yourself. Seriously. Seafood tastes best just boiled in slight brine/salt water or steamed. All that fancy schmancy garlic/au gratin/whatever you get at high class places just take away from the real flavour of it.

If you can stomach it, just go buy a live lobster (and if you're humane, put it in the freezer for 20 mins before cooking) and toss it into a boiling pot. 15 mins and you've got fresh stuff. Clams? Just toss them into a boiling pot and eat with tobbasco or ponzu. Crab? Buy a fresh one and shove it in upside down into a steamer. Get the point? Seafood just tastes good without any special skills.

But.. If you must go out and eat.. Well, I can't really help much there. Red Lobster blows goats. And expensive. For what I hear, Catch is your best bet. I've also wanted to try the few sit down tables at Boyd's Seafood Market across from the Foothills.

Another way to do it is to visit an Asian/Chinese restaurant. Jst about all of them "specialize" in seafood. Hope that helps.

:werd: this guy speaks the truth
fresh raw oyster, steamed mussels, raw tuna w/ vinegar and white onions.
so many possibilities with sea food.

Trini
12-08-2007, 07:07 PM
:( :( sucks being allergic to shell fish...and even more sad is I wasnt always allergic to it.
but as someone said above go to Billings Gate and you can buy your own fish,lobster etc and cook it, nice shop that