PDA

View Full Version : Maintain your car, don't want this to happen to you...

CivicDXR
12-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Saw something at work (U of C) today and took pics.

Just a reminder to everyone to please maintain your vehicles, including your suspension and steering components. You don't want to end up like this on a -17C day:

Looks like the balljoint fell out (correct me if I'm wrong). The noob question that I have is: how could this have been prevented? I know to check my tie rod ends and axles, but how does this happen? Did the axle bust on the inner part and the joint popped out?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6159/dsc06131nf3.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2336/dsc06132ya3.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6712/dsc06133ty6.jpg

funkedelic
12-03-2007, 09:53 PM
rims fall of hondas, it just happens! there is a thread dedicated to this

haha jks thats a shitty deal though

nikka
12-03-2007, 09:54 PM
that exact thing happened to my friends old accord when he hit a speed bump lol

IntegraG2
12-03-2007, 09:55 PM
dang.....this is like the 3rd accord i have heard of having their shit break. Looks like i need to replace all my suspension parts including tie rod ends and ball joints.

nismodrifter
lawlz, as I was waiting for the pics to load I just KNEW it was going to be a Honda.

Hash_man
Definately a broken ball joint... shitty deal for that guy/girl.

Jlude
12-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Shitty deal...

nikka
12-03-2007, 09:58 PM
now im affraid.. my winter car is the same model of accord :nut:

and props on the good quality pics :thumbsup:

sr20s14zenki
12-03-2007, 10:02 PM
^^^^if you are afraid...change the balljoints, they arent very expensive AFAIK. The best thing to do to make sure your balljoints are in good operating condition, is to inspect the boot. If the boot is cracked/oozing grease its only a matter of time before there is no grease in there and its metal to metal causing it to wear on the socket. Same things goes for CV joints, check the boot's regularly. If they crack, you can usually replace the worn boot with a replacement boot. If you let all the grease get out , youre looking at a replacement cv shaft in the long run.

nikka
12-03-2007, 10:04 PM
^^^

thanks for the tips.. im gonna check mine tommorow.
that would scare the fuck out of me if i took a corner and my wheel popped off. not to mention it would make the worst sound ever i bet.

IntegraG2
12-03-2007, 10:05 PM
^ Werd i think i would shit myself

CivicDXR
12-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
^^^^if you are afraid...change the balljoints, they arent very expensive AFAIK. The best thing to do to make sure your balljoints are in good operating condition, is to inspect the boot. If the boot is cracked/oozing grease its only a matter of time before there is no grease in there and its metal to metal causing it to wear on the socket. Same things goes for CV joints, check the boot's regularly. If they crack, you can usually replace the worn boot with a replacement boot. If you let all the grease get out , youre looking at a replacement cv shaft in the long run.

awesome, that was the answer I was looking for, thanks!

12-03-2007, 10:09 PM
To many dorifto competitions?

rc2002
12-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Ball joints from Honda are about $50. Half an hour labour at a shop gets them pressed in on a loose knuckle. Or you can use a hammer and socket and knock it in yourself. A $50 repair could've meant no broken car on one of the coldest days of the year.

For any 5 lug (or even 4 lug) conversion guys, here's a cheap lesson learned. Replace ball joints!

sr20s14zenki
12-03-2007, 10:12 PM
^^^if you look at the picture, you can plainly see that there is NO grease on the ball, i guarantee its been out of grease and cracked for some time. Make sure you check TOP as well, as hondas have both a top and bottom balljoint. The top one is known for failure too. That guy is going to be in it for a cv shaft too by the look of it =(

poor sap should have maintained his honda....altho im sure its lack of education, rather than negligence on his behalf.

nikka
12-03-2007, 10:15 PM
my money is with 410440
it must have been the drifting by the looks of things.
and especially drifting on low grease levels.. nothing good can come of that

Neil4Speed
12-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Apparently it happens to legends too.. Maintain your suspension components people!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/Jeffcoma/another%20one%20bites%20the%20dust/wow007.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/Jeffcoma/another%20one%20bites%20the%20dust/wow008.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/Jeffcoma/another%20one%20bites%20the%20dust/wow009.jpg

AutodreamMarvin
12-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

The best way to check for a failing ball joint is to grab the top and bottom of the wheel while it is suspended in the air and give a few good hard shakes to check for play.

If there is play, inspect while it is being shaken and see where the play is coming from. Sometimes it will wear even if the boot is still intact, or the knuckle is too dirty to see if there is crack/leak.

SR240SX
12-04-2007, 12:18 PM
He Obviously wasnt drifting he drives an acorrd...why do people always put drifing into the factor of a fucked up car...jesus get your info before making acusatons. Balljoint's are common with hondas and tend to go quite frequently..that balljoint was probably just waiting to bust.

qbnb
12-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by SR240SX
He Obviously wasnt drifting he drives an acorrd...why do people always put drifing into the factor of a fucked up car...jesus get your info before making acusatons. Balljoint's are common with hondas and tend to go quite frequently..that balljoint was probably just waiting to bust.
I'm thinking it was a joke..
In other news, I am going to check mine ASAP. Hey Matt, mind if I pull 'er into the bay and take a peak sometime this week?

urban.one
12-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Would that be an instant catostrophic failure or what that thing have been grind or clunking for sometime?

SR240SX
12-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by nikka
my money is with 410440
it must have been the drifting by the looks of things.
and especially drifting on low grease levels.. nothing good can come of that

Dosent look like much of a joke?:dunno:

avow
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
lol exact same accord as mine... right down to the color. now i got to go check that :S

benyl
12-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Ok sorry, it wasn't drifting. I think it is because the car is RHD that it failed.

95EagleAWD
12-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic
rims fall of hondas, it just happens! there is a thread dedicated to this

haha jks thats a shitty deal though

Happened to me!

:thumbsdow

Bowser
12-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Similar thing happend to my fathers Sable last winter. One of the rear spindles just cleanly snapped in half and the wheel ended up rolling away. He had hit a speed bump in the parking lot and the car litteraly just fell. Good thing it wasn't on a major road, that could have been disasterous. We had it completly fixed up in a few days, just had to wait for the parts from the dealer. Very expensive to say the least.

jbabante
12-04-2007, 07:59 PM
scary... does it have some sort of cracking/rattling/weird sound while driving before it breaks like that OR Normal driving, then just one day that shit just happens :confused:

G-ZUS
12-04-2007, 08:20 PM
They do make some fucked up noise, they did on my old accord, i changed em as soon as I heard the noise. I think it cost me around ~160 for 1 side upper and lower installed, it was not more than 200 guaranteed.

jdmXSI
12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Shitty, samething happened to me back in Sept. Cost about $350 to fix:thumbsdow Needed new ball joint and axle.

Here's the link

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/193872/driving-and-my-wheel-fell-off/

gpomp
12-04-2007, 08:45 PM
just goes to show that hondas are junk

G-ZUS
12-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
just goes to show that hondas are junk

says the guy who drives a CIVIC. Any car is junk without maintenance

Graham_A_M
12-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Shitty, samething happened to me back in Sept. Cost about $350 to fix:thumbsdow Needed new ball joint and axle.

Here's the link

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/193872/driving-and-my-wheel-fell-off/

I can't believe you didn't learn how to properly take care of your car from Andrew;) (Yiptech could teach you a thing or two)

Did you hear about him blowing the engine on his Civic? (to anybody that doesn't know, this is a '03 Civic that was two years old at the time).. as this happened a couple years ago.

but he was driving down Deerfoot south, and right as he was approaching the Southland overpass, his engine lost power and died, apparently it made some really wierd sounds (not surprisingly) So I get a phone call at 2:30pm with him asking me to take a look at his car thats on the side of the road.

So I asked him what was wrong over the phone, and he says "The car just stuttered and died, there's oil ALL OVER the engine"

So I drove over there, and the looked at it. The oil is lumpy and black, and I mean BLACK. So I asked him how long has it been since he changed his oil,
"oh shit, not for a LONG time, I think about at 24,000km's."
ME: "And what are you at now?" 52,000.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

":rofl: ....Oh............ well sorry to say this Andrew but I'm 90% sure you just fried your engine"

" OMG OMG YOUR FUCKING JOKING RIGHT"

ME: ":rofl: :rofl: no, sorry dude. Your suspossed to do oil changes every 5k. You waited.... 26,000km's man..... an engine can't take that sort of neglect."

Andrew: " OMG, so you mean to tell me I need a new engine?"

"yeah man, sorry Andrew, you can expect about a $3k bill for the engine and the labor to install it. how could you forget to change your oil? "

"I dont know man, busy with Quixtar you know? heading for retirement in '06..... so is this going to be covered by warrenty?"

"Not unless you give some wicked head it wont...... even then"

"FUCK FUCK... OMG"....

...yeah..... good times:clap:
Only to have his civic repo-ed about half a year ago and now he's driving some rusty old 80's Nissan or something :rofl:

your a baller now Andrew, living the dream eh?:rofl:

Gibson
12-04-2007, 11:52 PM

Yes, we're sorry. No longer will we blame it on drifting. We will now blame it on illiterate morons.

12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
No ill still blame it on drifting... gotta lay off those ebrake slides, they fuck with your balljoints like that, especially if you crank it on snow then slide onto some dry pavement, yea yea it may be all fun and games at the time but just you wait untill your balljoint dissentigrates (sp?) and your shit falls apart.

Hahaha. Im going to enter my accord into a drift competition to see how many i can get before my ball joints fail.

grrrouch
12-10-2007, 12:11 AM
those pics bring back some memories..

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/177937/honda-sucks-come-in-have-a-look-you-wont-believe-what-u-r-driving/

LongCity
12-10-2007, 04:07 AM
SLAMMED!

three.eighteen.
12-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I can't believe you didn't learn how to properly take care of your car from Andrew;) (Yiptech could teach you a thing or two)

Did you hear about him blowing the engine on his Civic? (to anybody that doesn't know, this is a '03 Civic that was two years old at the time).. as this happened a couple years ago.

but he was driving down Deerfoot south, and right as he was approaching the Southland overpass, his engine lost power and died, apparently it made some really wierd sounds (not surprisingly) So I get a phone call at 2:30pm with him asking me to take a look at his car thats on the side of the road.

So I asked him what was wrong over the phone, and he says "The car just stuttered and died, there's oil ALL OVER the engine"

So I drove over there, and the looked at it. The oil is lumpy and black, and I mean BLACK. So I asked him how long has it been since he changed his oil,
"oh shit, not for a LONG time, I think about at 24,000km's."
ME: "And what are you at now?" 52,000.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

":rofl: ....Oh............ well sorry to say this Andrew but I'm 90% sure you just fried your engine"

" OMG OMG YOUR FUCKING JOKING RIGHT"

ME: ":rofl: :rofl: no, sorry dude. Your suspossed to do oil changes every 5k. You waited.... 26,000km's man..... an engine can't take that sort of neglect."

Andrew: " OMG, so you mean to tell me I need a new engine?"

"yeah man, sorry Andrew, you can expect about a $3k bill for the engine and the labor to install it. how could you forget to change your oil? "

"I dont know man, busy with Quixtar you know? heading for retirement in '06..... so is this going to be covered by warrenty?"

"Not unless you give some wicked head it wont...... even then"

"FUCK FUCK... OMG"....

...yeah..... good times:clap:
Only to have his civic repo-ed about half a year ago and now he's driving some rusty old 80's Nissan or something :rofl:

your a baller now Andrew, living the dream eh?:rofl:

omfg this guy approached me in scurf about selling vitamins and shit, he even smells like a shyster

Kona9
12-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Back on topic....if I can remember my camera, there is another accord of the same generation on 26th SW just off 14th St with the same problem on the passenger side.

It's common maintenance with Hondas.(any car really) Especially Accords (Legends) Pay attention to your maintenance and this stuff won't happen.

Nissanaddict
12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
It could be a little thing too. Always check the boots and such. I had an old Chevy Corsica that had a defective front right bearing. When we pulled it apart, we found that something had hit a metal flange on the end of the CV joint (probably a bigger rock on a highway or something) and went through the seal on the back. That allowed dirt and crap to get into the hub and bearing assembly through there, and took the bearing out (got noisy before anything catastrophic happened). Maintain your cars!

I wish I'd taken pictures of a truck I did for a family friend. 3/4 ton GM truck. He drove on rough roads, and wanted me to do his ball joints and tie rods for he heard some clicking and such. All 4 ball joints, I was able to pull apart with my hands with 0 effort (well the uppers anyways, the lowers fell apart the second they got off the truck). The weight of the truck was the only thing that kept that intact. One big bump, and that thing would be messed right up.

GT4rally
12-17-2007, 05:04 PM
This happened to me way back in '95 when I was broke.
The ball-joint on my Audi Coupe was clunking for months, but I ignored it, hoping to fix it before it broke... didn't make it.

It broke at around 40km/h (thank god) and tore my axle out of the tranny (just like the OP's pic... but no body damage).

Cost me around $600 to fix it myself. Lesson learned.

88jbody
12-28-2007, 09:34 PM
hard way to learn a lesson.

I recomend getting the car a general inspection at least 2 times a year, alot of dealers, ect... give those $100 pakages that is oil changes, check all fluids, check steering, suspension, brakes, exhaust. money well spent
:thumbsup:

1-Bar
02-29-2008, 05:23 PM
wow, nice camber.....:thumbsup:

Mx6er
02-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

omfg this guy approached me in scurf about selling vitamins and shit, he even smells like a shyster

lol exact same thing happened to me haha. He has approached me twice and almost all of my friends. Seems like a pretty motivated guy :dunno: but pretty sketch to say the least.