PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever bought a brand-spanking new auto?

bituerbo
12-05-2007, 01:10 PM
With all this talk about going state-side to purchase your car, and how important all the rebates Canadian auto-makers offering are... I want to know how many of you have ever bought brand-new from a dealership before?

I bought my bike brand new, but never a car.

wardpr68
12-05-2007, 01:13 PM
bought brand new a couple months back

GOnSHO
12-05-2007, 01:27 PM
i bought mine brand new back in march and got raped on the price... i couldve went down to the states and bought a SC version of my car and paid less then i paid here..

Masked Bandit
12-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I bought a brand new truck back in 2000. It was nice but after six months or so, it's just another vehicle.......and now you have a bunch of money tied up too!

I now buy stuff that is two or three years old and pay cash.

The Cosworth
12-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I bought a brand new truck back in 2000. It was nice but after six months or so, it's just another vehicle.......and now you have a bunch of money tied up too!

I now buy stuff that is two or three years old and pay cash.

same boat.

Bought a Lancer brand new, got a decent price on the lease but will never buy anything BRAND new again (but never say never).

I just got rapped, owe about 23,000 on my car and if I had to get rid of it I could maybe get 16 or 17, going to be upside down for a while

03ozwhip
12-05-2007, 01:49 PM
i bought my Outtie brand new in March. i paid like 33k and its still not the top model. i got friggin raped like a mother considering the Outtie that i have in the states was 21 -25k completlely loaded with nav and sunroof. so 8k less if i bought the top of the line one, probably 10k less if i bought the same one i have now. mItsubishi should send out rebates for people like me.

The Cosworth
12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i bought my Outtie brand new in March. i paid like 33k and its still not the top model. i got friggin raped like a mother considering the Outtie that i have in the states was 21 -25k completlely loaded with nav and sunroof. so 8k less if i bought the top of the line one, probably 10k less if i bought the same one i have now. mItsubishi should send out rebates for people like me.

Mine is the ES, which retails for $19,000.

In the US I could get a GT-S (which also has Navi and Leather, which the canadian models dont) for $22,000 US

Don't worry I feel the same way, but nothing beats knowing how the car has been treated since day 1

03ozwhip
12-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

Don't worry I feel the same way, but nothing beats knowing how the car has been treated since day 1

very true. but i still feel ripped.

sputnik
12-05-2007, 02:01 PM
The only vehicles I would buy new from a dealership would be Hondas.

When I was looking for my Accord most of the cars in the used market were only a couple thousand cheaper than new and already had 20-40k on them.

Was better off buying new in my case.

Keep in mind this was back in 2005 before the US dollar tanked.

googe
12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
twice, probably wouldnt again

Tik-Tok
12-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Once, regretted it ever since (even after I sold it).

benyl
12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Bought 2 new cars... then bought a used one. Feels dirty. The next one I buy will be new.

NickGT
12-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Bought a slightly used 2002 Mustang GT convertible - no major problems.. Upgraded to my 2005 Mustang GT Coupe which was a brand new car. Its paid for now. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon so depreciation isn't an issue.

Now I'm tossing around the idea of a second car. Not sure which route I'll go. I suppose whichever offers the best deal at the time..

Kona9
12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
The one I drive and the one before were purchased new. (although this is a lease it is still brand new)

GTS Jeff
12-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I bought a new car and I've kept it in like new conditions. It's parked for the winter and when I take it back out in the spring...it'll be like getting into a brand new car all over again!!! Can't wait!

max_boost
12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
My past 4 cars have been brand new. I try to find deals. I'm all about attractive lease programs (low rates, high residuals, low payments) or low finance rates and longer terms. I look for cars that can be negotiated with discounts on top of any current rebates.

My next two vehicles I'm lining up are the:

Civic Si, 1.5% lease rate for 60 months $300/month! :eek:

Subaru Tribeca. $7000 rebate, $2500 off MSRP, $750 discount grad rebate. No charge 3 year maintenance.

I love new cars. :clap:

Redlyne_mr2
12-05-2007, 07:18 PM
dude 5 year lease is crazy long lol

SilverGS
12-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Bought 2 cars brand new.

Its a good feeling to buy a car brand spanking new, getting in and there is only 3km on it.

The only way to justify the price of buying a brand new car is if you are planning on owning it for a long time.

If you like to turn your cars over every 2 years then a leasing or buy used is probably a better way to go

max_boost
12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
dude 5 year lease is crazy long lol

When was the last time I kept a car for 5 years? You can shorten the lease term but the bottom line is the 1.5% lease rate and 24,000km/year allowance!!!

It'll be easy to find someone for lease takeover because I doubt this 1.5% lease rate is a permanent thing! There are people paying $250-$280 for Civic LX and that's two models below the Si!

Redlyne_mr2
12-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

When was the last time I kept a car for 5 years? You can shorten the lease term but the bottom line is the 1.5% lease rate and 24,000km/year allowance!!!

It'll be easy to find someone for lease takeover because I doubt this 1.5% lease rate is a permanent thing! There are people paying $250-$280 for Civic LX and that's two models below the Si!
yah thats a good point, I would just be too lazy to find someone to take over my lease lol.

mx73someday
12-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I bought a 99 Civic new. I would never do it again, it's a terrible investment to buy new, especially when leasing. There is so much more satisfaction knowing that you own a vehicle out right and you don't have to make payments on it.

Sometimes cars get beat on before they are sold new. If you watch the ports in New Westminster or the local railyards where they unload new cars, you can see some rough driving. At Fraser Wharves in New Westminster, they have a body repair facility on site for when the cars get damaged.

googe
12-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday
I bought a 99 Civic new. I would never do it again, it's a terrible investment to buy new, especially when leasing. There is so much more satisfaction knowing that you own a vehicle out right and you don't have to make payments on it.

until you learn things like the time value of money and weigh the cost of carrying a debt against the return you get on investing the money instead.

if you can lease for 1.5% for 4 years, its smarter to do that vs buy it outright even if you can afford to, because it would be very easy to invest that money elsewhere for a return greater than 1.5%. in the end, the guy that leased and invested ends up with a car and some kind of return, and the guy that bought outright ends up with a dead, depreciating asset.

to some it sounds good to say they are debt free and own their car outright, but really its an unwise way to allocate your money :)

you dont have to keep a 5 year lease for 5 years either, you can trade up anytime or sell it outright and just pay off the lease, long as your financing isnt upside down.

2EFNFAST
12-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Twice - never again - I'd rather buy a 2-3yr old car with minimal mileage and save a shitload. Cars I've bought used have been just as reliable, if not more-so!, than those bought new

The Cosworth
12-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by googe

until you learn things like the time value of money and weigh the cost of carrying a debt against the return you get on investing the money instead.

if you can lease for 1.5% for 4 years, its smarter to do that vs buy it outright even if you can afford to, because it would be very easy to invest that money elsewhere for a return greater than 1.5%. in the end, the guy that leased and invested ends up with a car and some kind of return, and the guy that bought outright ends up with a dead, depreciating asset.

to some it sounds good to say they are debt free and own their car outright, but really its an unwise way to allocate your money :)

you dont have to keep a 5 year lease for 5 years either, you can trade up anytime or sell it outright and just pay off the lease, long as your financing isnt upside down.

If you were to buy an 45,000 vehicle that you has cash for, invested it at 6%, (which would only be 4.5 by your example) if you did it over 4 years you would make $8,000.00

Now I know that is money you didnt have to begin with, but honestly I would rather be debt free then have a bunch of money sitting and a huge loan coming out every month

black13
12-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Buying a brand new car never did make sense for me. The minute you get it from the dealer, the price goes down at least a couple grand and within the first year the price keeps going lower and lower.

And why would you get a new car to begin with? Just because its clean? Warranty?
It's not that hard these days to clean your car to look brand new again unless the seats have been severely ripped.

And warranty isn't really a big issue if your buying a well known reliable car and actually take care of it.
Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi's are very reliable brands.

I'll never buy a new car and I'll never buy a used car thats been butchered either. But there are a lot of nice used cars from fairly new to old that are in good condition for a fraction of the price of a new car.

msommers
12-06-2007, 02:44 AM
I'd only buy a new vehicle if I planned on driving into the ground.

googe
12-06-2007, 11:38 AM

If you were to buy an 45,000 vehicle that you has cash for, invested it at 6%, (which would only be 4.5 by your example) if you did it over 4 years you would make $8,000.00

Now I know that is money you didnt have to begin with, but honestly I would rather be debt free then have a bunch of money sitting and a huge loan coming out every month

your money isnt "sitting". there are also tax benefits to be had going that route. plus, now you can put a downpayment on your home or something, instead of living with your parents "debt free". seriously dropping 45k on a car outright is a retarded thing to do unless you have tons of money and cant be bothered. you'll notice that most people that can afford to buy their higher end cars outright dont do it...theres a reason for that.

The Cosworth
12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by googe

..........plus, now you can put a downpayment on your home or something, instead of living with your parents "debt free". ............

who would that be? Jesus who has the money for a 45K car and their parents don't kick their ass out the door.

I forgot about the tax benefit part of it

googe
12-06-2007, 12:10 PM
no one in particular, but i have seen it a lot. not with 45k cars mind you, but even the 15-20 range ive seen a lot of people buy a car outright before coming up with a downpayment on their first home.

rc2002
12-06-2007, 12:13 PM

who would that be? Jesus who has the money for a 45K car and their parents don't kick their ass out the door.

LOTS of people. Especially asian families.

sexualbanana
12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Buying new vs used depends on your existing disposition towards cars. If you get bored of cars really quick and constantly change, then you're better off buying used as you won't be so committed in terms of payments, and wont get hammered as bad on depreciation when you decide to sell.

If you're more likely to keep a car for 6+ years, then buy new. I plan on keeping my car for a long time, so I bought new. It'll be paid off in 9 months, and it's going to keep me happy for a long time.

01RedDX
12-06-2007, 12:52 PM

topmade
12-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Bought 2 new cars
- 1994 Civic si couple: Finaced when in high school, still alive and kicking strong.
- 2007 Sienna le: Leased for 3 yrs and will buyout at the end of term. Leasing was cheaper then financing, plus financing was close to $1000/month for the term and rate we wanted. We plan to drive this thing to it's grave just like my civic.

New2Talon
12-08-2007, 01:30 AM
My gf and myself just ordered a brand-spankin new 08 accord coupe! No regrets.

I'm happy with buying brand new, as I like the peace of mind knowing ANY and ALL the problems that the car has/has ever had since day 1.

Also, with new you can pick out exactly what you want. If your buying used, you might find the right car, but not the color you want. You can always repaint it, but that might bring up issues down the road if you want to sell it.

svtlight
12-08-2007, 11:07 AM
It's not have you bought a new vehicle.. it's have you borrowed money for a new vehicle ( for most of us) lol.. it's like saying i bought a house..

HRD2PLZ
12-08-2007, 12:14 PM
My last couple cars have been brand new. I have bought a few brand new cars and a few used cars. I doubt I would buy used again, I like knowing that I am the first person to own the vehicle. I'll pay the premium for new over used. I did regret though, not looking into US pricing for my RX before buying it. But, oh well... doesn't bother me THAT much.

InLoveWitRSX
12-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I bought my 06 rsx brand new 6 km's on it when I got it :D

New2Talon
12-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Do manufactuer's still offer warranty on stateside cars brought up? I read a while back that many did not offer warranty on new 08 models to help curb the cross-border shopping.

If you plan to resell the car in the future, or if warranty matters to you, then even though you save 5g's upfront, you might loose it down the road (resale of US cars is generally ~10% lower than CDN counterpart)

ZorroAMG
12-10-2007, 02:45 AM
95 Jetta in '94
06 911 C4 in Dec '05

Next car will be a new C63 in the summer

blownz
12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I have purchased a few brand new cars but my last 3 have been about a year old each. I find that gives me the right combination of almost brand new feel/condition and decent savings on price. The best deal was the Expedition Eddie Bauer I bought this summer. 11 months old, 14k on the odometer and 22k off the msrp. I have bought 2 3 series like this too but savings are obviously not quite as good, but they were still both about 10k off of msrp after a year and a bit.

I like to pay cash for my vehicles too so buying 1-2 years old is good for that. :thumbsup:

98brg2d
12-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I bought my Dakota as a brand new 2003 at the end of 2004. It was the floor model and had every option aside from power windows and locks which (at that price point) made it very unnattractive to most people. It was optioned the way I wanted it and I got a really good deal, it ended up costing me less than buying a 2 year old used Dakota.

Aleks
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

:werd:

My last three cars were Hondas from the dealership, two of them brand new.

1999 Accord in 2001 - Bought for 20K, sold 6 months later for 21K
2002 Civic in 2002 - Bought for 18K, sold this year for 10K
2007 Civic this year

As you can see, the resale value on Hondas keeps me coming back.

This is what solidified my faith in Honda resale:

1980 Civic - saved from the junkyard part of the auction for $100 + $30 for muffler + $40 for new plugs, oil, filters, $10 spray paint, sold for $700 after 4 months of driving it.

1986 Accord with 300K kms = $700 at auction, $300 Maaco paint job, $150 for tuneup stuff, $350 for new clutch, $300 new stereo, sold for $2600 a year later at 335K kms.

The only problem with that is you have to drive a Honda... JK

I bought 2 cars brand new. I said I wouldn't do it again but with such low lease rates and monthly payments it's really tempting. haha.