PDA

View Full Version : Cars With out boarders Petition

Takemetoothemoo
12-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Last Chance to sign the Petition! To encourge transport Canada to fix the immobilizer issue.

http://www.carswithoutborders.com/

This is your last chance to sign our petition prior to our submission to the Transport Canada Public Consultations! Less than 14 hours to go. Please encourage your friends and family to sign-up! Just click Here! Write in and let us know if you want us to keep it going!

We just exceed 11,200 hits on the web site, covering 25 countries around the world! 44,500 web pages, 250 Canadian cities - we have exceeded the 1,000 names in the petition - Bring down the wall!

spikerS
12-05-2007, 11:24 PM
signed

Canmorite
12-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Signed :thumbsup:

Destinova403
12-05-2007, 11:33 PM
signed :thumbsup:

schocker
12-05-2007, 11:33 PM
signed

benyl
12-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Isn't it already fixed?

The law just needs to be passed.

Takemetoothemoo
12-05-2007, 11:42 PM
For what i understand it is going to be passed. But we should still show are support just in case see how far we can go with this.
Fixing free trade?

benyl
12-05-2007, 11:52 PM
What does free trade have to do with this?

Toms-SC
12-05-2007, 11:59 PM
What the fuck fail? Who started that shit? The laws are going to be fixed within a month's time. Don't people read the papers?

http://www.facepalm.org/

Toms-SC
12-06-2007, 12:03 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196653&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

For more details

gpomp
12-06-2007, 12:06 AM
why does every issue seem to have a petition these days?

Destinova403
12-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
why does every issue seem to have a petition these days?

because no government wants to lose public support.

mx73someday
12-06-2007, 12:19 AM
So everyone thinks the proposed amendment is a good solution to the problem?

gpomp
12-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403

because no government wants to lose public support. well in that case, i'm going to start a petition to lower taxes by 50%.

benyl
12-06-2007, 01:14 AM
fuck dat. 100%

97'Scort
12-06-2007, 01:17 AM
I always love how people think that Facebook petitions or online petitions actually matter :rolleyes:

No government at any level in this country will accept a petition that doesn't have actual signatures on it.

Takemetoothemoo
12-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Do any of you read what has been posted before spewing out bull shit?

This petition and the letter campaign and phone calls to mps is what put enough presser on the transport Canada to make the proposed amendment.

WTF does this have to do with facebook?

Takemetoothemoo
12-06-2007, 09:41 AM
http://thesuburban.com/content.jsp?sid=11141833731115128210692269234&ctid=1000001&cnid=1013727

Kirkland's Lamb makes national impact

By Ian Howarth, The Suburban

Photo by Robert Lamb
"I followed all the rules," says Robert Lamb, the owner of a car without a country.

Combining the power of the Internet and the time-tested art of old fashioned letter writing, a Kirkland man and thousands of angry car buyers have united to make a dent in the federal government’s thick bureaucracy.

With the Canadian dollar beyond flush with the U.S. greenback, Kirkland resident Robert Lamb set out last September to the nearest U.S. auto dealer to buy his daughter a car for her graduation from John Abbott College. What transpired in the next few months was anything but the usual celebratory high that normally comes with gift giving.

A little known Transport Canada regulation set Lamb into protest gear after finding out the 2008 Honda Civic he bought for his daughter was on the inadmissible list of vehicles purchased in the U.S. for importation to Canada. Though he was allowed to bring the car into Canada — Canada Customs, no strangers to bureaucratese themselves — designated the Honda “not admissible” and he drove it straight to his garage where it has sat since.

Lamb and thousands of other Canadians cross-border shopping for vehicles manufactured after September 2007 have found themselves in the same mess as Lamb. A $30 part, an anti-theft device or electronic immobilizer, is at the centre of the problem. The regulation, since rescinded last Friday by Transport Canada, stated that U.S.-made vehicles did not meet Canadian standards for the immobilizer.

Lamb set about contacting Transport Ministry officials, his local MP and after finding a number of similarly angry car buying sympathizers on the Internet, launched the website Cars without Borders. “I’m just a guy who got caught up in the whirlwind of autos,” he said of his decision to buy in the U.S.. “I did my research and decided the Honda Civic was the safest and best choice. Moreover, the Honda Civic is the same in the U.S. and Canada.”

After all his letter writing— one of which went to the PM himself — phone calls and web hits, Lamb’s battle soon took on a national scope. He found himself on the receiving end of calls from newspapers, TV and radio across Canada. His website was getting thousands of hits a day. “It’s amazing,” Lamb said. “The power of the Internet and the people that came together created quite the force.”

Last Friday, Transport Canada announced it was amending its electronic anti-theft device regulation for those vehicles manufactured as of September 2007. A 15-day consultation process will take place before the amendment is officially adopted. “It’s a major victory for everybody on the team,” said Lamb, referring to his newfound team of Internet friends from across Canada. “Mr. Harper was elected to help the little guy. I would say to Mr. Harper something like what President Reagan said to Gorbachev in West Berlin in 1987, ‘Mr. Harper, tear down this wall.’”

Canadian car buyers are flocking to the U.S. to take advantage of their new buying power. According to Transport Canada, Canadians purchased 24,873 cars in October 2007, more than twice the number for the same time last year. The savings are considerable. Lamb, who hopes to have the Honda on the road in a couple of weeks, figures even after taxes and duty, he will have saved about $5,500. Cornwall, Ontario resident Serge Bergeron, who worked closely with Lamb on Cars without Borders, said the Toyota Prius he bought had a $12,000 sticker price difference between the Canadian and $26,000 US model.

Lac Saint Louis Liberal MP Francis Scarpaleggia went to bat for Lamb and his staff researched the sometimes confusing myriad of Transport Canada regulations. He fired off a four-page letter to Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon.

“This is not about dealers in Canada,” Scarpaleggia said off the top. “Rather, I think it is just a case of over-regulation. I think the government has found this issue to be embarrassing. All the attention this was getting in the media was putting pressure on them.”

Transport Canada spokesman Patrick Charette downplayed the effect of the public outcry from groups like Cars without Borders.

“The number of people affected is only about 1,000 or so consumers,” he said in a telephone interview from Ottawa. “This is not a new regulation. The electronic immobilizer is meant to deter convenience thefts of cars. We have always tried to strike a balance between our safety concerns and consumer complaints.”

Unless there is another turnabout by Transport Canada, Robert Lamb’s daughter will finally get her graduation present - just in time for Christmas.

For more info on importing and buying cars from the US, visit www.carswithoutborders.com or www.tc.gc.ca.

97'Scort
12-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Takemetoothemoo
Do any of you read what has been posted before spewing out bull shit?

I always love how people think that Facebook petitions or online petitions actually matter

Yes, do you?
Legally, an online petition has no leg to stand on. None of the information is verifiable, it can't be easily tracked to the country of origin, and nobody will take the time to endorse it that actually matters, like an MP.

Having strong public support is something entirely different. I can hand your BS petition to somebody who wouldn't care, but if, without the petition, you managed to get the media coverage that this guy did, then that's what people in power listen to.

Takemetoothemoo
12-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

Yes, do you?
Legally, an online petition has no leg to stand on. None of the information is verifiable, it can't be easily tracked to the country of origin, and nobody will take the time to endorse it that actually matters, like an MP.

Having strong public support is something entirely different. I can hand your BS petition to somebody who wouldn't care, but if, without the petition, you managed to get the media coverage that this guy did, then that's what people in power listen to.

An online petition of this nature has gotten the medias attention and with the letters and calls effectively changed how are government handles imports . I don't know what your point is. but i agree with you. A door to door hand written signed petition would be more impressive.

Was your point this is not good enough so we shouldn't do anything?

Takemetoothemoo
12-06-2007, 02:14 PM
97'Scort i will be willing to spend the time to go door to door with you if you would like. PM me your number so we can set it up

97'Scort
12-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Why would I want a petition for a law that's already done everything but pass? I don't want to import a Honda.:drama:

Takemetoothemoo
12-07-2007, 09:28 AM
lol yeah is done now. This was effecting allot more cars then honda.. i was only concerned about importing subarus.

Crymson
12-07-2007, 09:32 AM
I think the point is that the law still states that if a manufacturer declares in writing that the vehicle cannot be safely modified with OEM equipment, then it's still on the in-admissable list. Seems pretty easy for every manufacturer to write a quick letter to TC sayin so, easy money.

97'Scort
12-07-2007, 01:07 PM
^ Yup. Automotive lobby is big in this country and they love their money.