PDA

View Full Version : what do you find is the best resource for selling your car?

spikerS
12-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, looking for places to post my car for sale, and have it in a few places already online.

How useful did any of you find publications like autotrader and such? was it worth the price of the ad?

already have it on kijiji, used calgary, beyond.ca and facebook :D

anywhere else i should be considering for maximum exposure?

Jlude
12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
I would say autotrader.ca... not much other than that.

G-ZUS
12-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I sold 2 of my cars on facebook.

anhthanh
12-05-2007, 11:36 PM
buysell.com is good too autotrader aint all that great

rc2002
12-06-2007, 12:07 AM
I've used autotrader and buysell and even some shady websites like greatcarsandtrucks. I found the buysell was better value.

I never did end up selling my car but I got a lot of calls when I placed my car on the autotrader. So if you want to reach a bigger audience - that's probably your best bet.

That said, if your car is not sellling, you're probably asking too much. If you price your car right, it doesn't matter where you try to sell it.

ryanallan
12-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by anhthanh
buysell.com is good too autotrader aint all that great

autotrader is a scam. they charge $70 for a two week spot in their paper/online. buysell is only $20 for two weeks...

usedcalgary, usededmonton, crags list, kijji, beyond, leaving your car in a busy location, word of mouth, flyers up at work, etc

its all about how many people you can make aware of your sale.

black13
12-06-2007, 02:35 AM
Some cars are just a hard sell unless they are dirt cheap. But I'd say post them on as many places as you since most are for free and just put the for sale sign on your car and drive it around enough until you sell it.

jonnycat
12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I had good success with auto trader.

I think it works best when you have a stand out sale. Too many people are unrealistic when trying to sell their car. Your best bet is too research all the vehicles like yours with similar options and km's and undercut them all on price.

Mitsu3000gt
12-06-2007, 10:38 AM
If you have a well taken care of car and a realistic price, it won't take any effort to sell at all. Every car I've sold has been sold to the first person to look at it for my full asking price, and if it is priced appropriately the same should apply to anyone else.

What pisses me off is the companies that look at the auto trader and call everyone in it telling them they have a buyer for their car blah blah blah blah. I would suggest hanging up on them.

teggypimp95
12-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Iv sold like 6 cars and always spent a fortune on the auto trader. Never will again. Not one of my 6 cars were sold because of the auto trader. They charge way to much, the ads are so small, and they give all your info to companys like great cars and trucks who feel the need to call you everyday.

I like using
beyond
craigs list.com
kijjii
used calgary
buy sell

Euro838
12-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
If you have a well taken care of car and a realistic price, it won't take any effort to sell at all. Every car I've sold has been sold to the first person to look at it for my full asking price, and if it is priced appropriately the same should apply to anyone else.

What pisses me off is the companies that look at the auto trader and call everyone in it telling them they have a buyer for their car blah blah blah blah. I would suggest hanging up on them.

Yeah, those annoying places that tell you they have a seller and if you pay them now, they might forward you the info. Such a scam. They also say it's fully refundable after 90 days but after 90 days, you have 6 days to provide them with a notarized copy of your registration stating that your car has not been sold.

willyC
12-07-2007, 09:42 AM
I have sold 2 cars on the newsgroup edm.forsale and 1 car on beyond.ca

Aleks
12-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Sold 1 car on beyond,
1 on autotrader
rest to friends.

nismodrifter
12-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Bargainfinder. Email your ads in to [email protected]. I've sold so much stuff through here its just crazy. Cars, car parts, aftermarket stuff, etc etc.

Calgary Herald was also good, got a whole ton of calls through Wednesday picture section, sold our Motorhome in a day with a line up of people wanting to see it.

rc2002
12-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Is it your PT cruiser you're trying to sell? That's a car that's a tough sell because the styling is so controversial. You might end up taking a hit on the sale of it.

Patience is key when selling. I sold all of my cars (save one) at a loss because I wanted to sell them fast.

spikerS
12-09-2007, 10:13 AM
yeah it is the PT, and I know i will be taking a hit on it. if I sell it for $12k, i know i still gotta come up with the extra cash to pay off the loan.

funkedelic
12-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I have to say that beyond is the best place to post an add if you have a car that has a generally large audience. Honda's, nissans, mazdas, bmw's, ect sell pretty quick on this site if you are asking a fair price.

Domestics, muscle cars, mini vans ect have a hard time on this site, i doubt your PT cruiser would unless you are asking a really low price.

I have sold 3 cars on this site, 1 on autotrader. When looking for a new car i will always check out autotrader. I bet you would get a lot more looks from autotrader since it is sold everywhere and you have you ad online as well.

i don't know too many people that check buysell and craigslist, ect, but it can't hurt.

Put a for sale sticker/decal/sign on it, park it on your driveway often, post it up at work, tell your buddies and seeing how its already on some sites, somebody is bound to pick it up sooner or later :thumbsup:

sr20s14zenki
12-09-2007, 10:48 AM
kijiji.ca is AWESOME. I listed my car and had a call within 5 minutes, with 4 calls to follow in the next week.