PDA

View Full Version : Green Tea

msommers
12-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Where do you guys buy yours? A Chinese guy I work with brought some back when he was in China and it was so fresh, everything here can't compare. Anyone have a little place they know of that has really fresh stuff?

Also, does anyone have any secrets on cooking green tea properly? I know generally how to do it but I'm betting some people have variations that really make it tastes better.

Lastly, what type do you use?

tson
12-06-2007, 02:39 AM
superstore chinese green tea is the best

01RedDX
12-06-2007, 02:43 AM

CaptainReboot
12-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I found some good green tea at Costco, it's Kirkland brand Japanese tea, a mix of Sencha and Matcha, comes in special cloth bags, not paper.

Each bag is sealed in plastic so it stays really fresh, and when you brew it, it turns a brilliant green. I really like it.

I bought the same one. It's great. I drink about 3 - 4 cups a day at the office. Much better than coffee.

rmk
12-06-2007, 09:07 AM
i get mine from a guy in chinatown. always leaves. he has stuff from 15.00 - many thousands of dollars :eek:

the technique he told me was to 1st fill the pot or whatever you are using with hot water to warm it up. tip the water out, put the leaves in, put more hot water in to "activate the leaves", wait a few seconds, drain the water, and fill it again, let it steep and drink.

+1 for green tea :thumbsup:

bigboom
12-06-2007, 11:04 AM
make sure you dont dump boiling water on it otherwise you will burn it. after you boil the water let it set for a minute and then pour it in to a warmed tea pot or cup. and like stated previously you want to get the leaves soaked and quickly dump the water out and then refill it and let it steep for 2-3 minutes.

the above only applies with fell leaf teas...with tea bags you are getting the crap/"shake" of the leaves so you wont get much of a difference. no matter what you do.

gmoney82
12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by tson

:werd: especially with henney

01RedDX
12-06-2007, 02:22 PM

max_boost
12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
^^^
http://www.hennessy-cognac.com/range/images/visuel-product5.jpg

01RedDX
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM

GQBalla
12-06-2007, 04:59 PM
green tea with hennessy!!!
so good.

i got to try that costco brand!

ive been lookin for green tea that turns actually bright green for a while!

when i worked at sushi boat i always used one tea bag for my one cup and it turned awesome green where as people that work there put 3 tea bags for a HUGE big kettle.

tson
12-07-2007, 02:03 AM
so good

dragonone
12-07-2007, 09:07 PM
how did this thread turn from tea to alcohol drinking lol

u can't really compare the green tea they sell in those 2L bottles in TNT that asian kareoke mixes with henessey to green tea leaves that might cost $xxx/100g

actually moderately refined/picked tea leaves in china would cost a fortune here, so get friends to bring them from china. and not from a supermarket, from a place that specialized in tea

B20EF
12-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I just got some from Ten Ren in T&T, they had some pretty expensive stuff in there. It seemed like he was pretty knowledgable, anyone else been there?

liquidboi69
12-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by B20EF
I just got some from Ten Ren in T&T, they had some pretty expensive stuff in there. It seemed like he was pretty knowledgable, anyone else been there?

Ive only tried there like... $32/100g green tea, I find it a lot better than anything that you get in cans and bags..

When you drink it, its so much more refreshing, and doesn't leave a weird feeling in your mouth like shitty stuff.

KRyn
12-08-2007, 01:05 AM
I get the bags of Japanese green tea from Super Store. I find it to be the best green tea I have ever tried.

Impreza
12-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Anyone know where to get good matcha at a reasonable price?

lelalong
12-09-2007, 12:52 AM
There are a few tea places around town (Farmer's market in Currie Barracks for example). I found matcha at a shop in Southcentre mall on the second floor near the food court. I still haven't perfected the foaming action of the wooden brush. :banghead:

Ten Ren has lots of tea of all prices. But the people aren't open to helping you out.

Anyone know the best way to make nice foamy matcha? Lots of wrist action I'm guessing...:rofl:

tson
12-09-2007, 02:46 AM
^what u mean by foamy?

lelalong
12-09-2007, 01:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matcha

Traditional matcha is made from matcha powder then whisked with a special brush to make it foamy on top. It doesn't HAVE to be but that how I like it.

I've never tried the matcha flavored stuff at coffee shops...I not a big frou frou drink person. I like my coffee or tea to taste like coffee or tea. So I laugh at the people who get vente superfat caramel macchiato soy frappachino cremes with whip and a cherry on top and they have to wait 20 min for their drink to be made. :thumbsdow

alloroc
12-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by tson

Totally:

I drink at leat one cup a day of the green ginseng tea sold in the oriental section. You can taste the bitter ginseng, Its better than cold-FX at 1/10 the price.

If I want a sweeter relaxing tea the Jasmine tea sold in the same section is very nice.

SaturnV
12-10-2007, 06:38 PM
There is a place in Kensington where you can buy a ton of different loose teas. Oolong tea house. (link: http://www.oolonghouse.com/catalog/aboutus.php)

Usually either get it from there or from Safeway.

icecreamvan
12-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
Anyone know where to get good matcha at a reasonable price?

There's a Japanese store in a stripmall west of Community Health Foods on 10th ave and 14th street SW. I think it was ~$8/packet depending on the brand. They have some decent teas there too.

Altezza
12-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Got a canister of the Ten Ren green tea matcha powder. I've been using it non stop these past couple of days. $28 for the 200g tin.

Be sure to use a small portion of room temp water to mix the matcha before pouring in the hot water. Green tea burns quite easily.

dragonone
12-24-2007, 03:24 AM
is that not a korean store?

sdiep
12-27-2007, 02:46 AM
I drink tea all the time.

But apparently, it is not best to drink tea while eating food or something. I read it somewhere that tea inhibits the absorption of iron. But correct me if I am wrong.

GTS Jeff
12-27-2007, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by sdiep
I drink tea all the time.

But apparently, it is not best to drink tea while eating food or something. I read it somewhere that tea inhibits the absorption of iron. But correct me if I am wrong. Tannins chelates shit like iron ions, but there isn't enough of it in tea to make it a problem. Drink as much tea as you want...

sdiep
12-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Tannins chelates shit like iron ions, but there isn't enough of it in tea to make it a problem. Drink as much tea as you want...

Thanks for the clear up on that. I wasn't too sure myself.

Oh, has anyone ever tried Yogi tea before? I saw it at the supermarket and wasn't too sure about it.