PDA

View Full Version : Driving to seattle from calgary

johnny.r1.lee
12-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Which route have you guys taken??
what is best in winter???

i've driven to vancouver, then south numerous times, but it's always been in early spring or summer..

im thinking i can take 1 west or go down to spokane then cut across west..

any advice would be appreciated.

ZC_CIVIC
12-11-2007, 01:14 PM
ive alwayes went to white rock then down to seattle but i always visit people in delta n wahtnot so ive never thought of another way

johnny0214
12-11-2007, 01:26 PM
took this route just last month took about 10 hours

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=calgary&1s=ab&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=seattle&2s=wa&2z=&r=f

Team_Mclaren
12-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by johnny0214

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=calgary&1s=ab&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=seattle&2s=wa&2z=&r=f

thats a nice route. I took seattle -->Van --> calgary and it took around 10 and a half hours.

sputnik
12-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I prefer going through Idaho.

analbumcover
12-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I prefer going through Idaho.

same here, its a really sweet port thats open 24/7 and i havent paid duties once to get through!.. nice scenic route too

B20EF
12-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by johnny0214

I took this same route in the summer, it was a great one but those roads might be a bit rough for the winter.
Hard to say since it's the only way I've been :dunno:

85regal
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

thats a nice route. I took seattle -->Van --> calgary and it took around 10 and a half hours.

you must of been hauling ass to get there in 10 and half hours

thinmyster
12-11-2007, 04:22 PM
im going to see the raptors game in seattle this year

johnny.r1.lee
12-11-2007, 04:47 PM
^^
we are too, as well as seahawks vs baltimore

so has anyon drive through the idaho route in winter???

blueripper6
12-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Make sure you bring your birth certificate.

You need a gov picture ID and proof of citizenship!
just a reminder.. i heard it on the radio supposedly its new laws.

buh_buh
12-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Its been required you have a passport to travel to the states for a while now. Hence the ridiculous lineups for the past year at passport offices.

googe
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM

haha, no, you didnt, there is NO way :)

Moe Man
12-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Its been required you have a passport to travel to the states for a while now. Hence the ridiculous lineups for the past year at passport offices.

thats only if you are flying :thumbsup:

googe
12-11-2007, 05:47 PM

nope, wrong...not if you are driving. passport only required for flying.

buh_buh
12-11-2007, 06:02 PM
my bad.
I was told at the border (while driving) that passport was required.

clem24
12-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Ya there is NO fucking way you can do that route in 10 or even 10 1/2 hours. More like 12 hours if you do about 10-15 over the limit consistently. I'd avoid hwy 1 during the winter as it can get shut down at any minute.

And go through Okotoks and take hwy 22 down. Do not go through that range road whatever.

Team_Mclaren
12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by googe

haha, no, you didnt, there is NO way :)

arrr... an hour an a half from seattle to van, 9 hours from van to calgary... its really not that hard. I have done van to calgary in just over 8 hours before (got pulled over 20kms away from calgary doing 170). I know rage2 has done it in something like 7 hours (calgary to van)

btw: who the hell said i was doing it at speed limit +15? its 980KM end to end, you do the math.

B20EF
12-11-2007, 07:07 PM
btw: who the hell said i was doing it at speed limit +15? its 980KM end to end, you do the math.

I found the Spokane to Seattle especially easy to do 40+km/hr over the limit

buh_buh
12-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Not doable if you drive like a pussy. I drove from LA to Calgary with the cruise set at 170 all the way back (this was even in the winter through Montana and Idaho on summer tires haha). That trip is definitely doable in 10.5 hours.

googe
12-11-2007, 07:17 PM

arrr... an hour an a half from seattle to van, 9 hours from van to calgary... its really not that hard. I have done van to calgary in just over 8 hours before (got pulled over 20kms away from calgary doing 170). I know rage2 has done it in something like 7 hours (calgary to van)

haha, well I guess I could see if it was at like you somehow got extremely lucky with traffic the whole way. i am constantly back and forth between van and seattle and cant even do 170 if i want to because of traffic, plus the border wait. besides that, I-5 is HEAVILY patrolled by cops as soon as it turns dark.

if youre ever in that area and youre in the fast lane and a car approaches you from behind, DONT speed up, pull over...9/10 its a cop matching your speed. they tailgate aggressively too, which is annoying, because the natural thing to do there is to move up to make more room :)

i havent gone through idaho in the winter so i dont know what thats like, but be careful on the BC mountain roads, especially the coquihalla. also, DONT speed for a while when you are around Hope BC, notorious speed traps :)

Not doable if you drive like a pussy. I drove from LA to Calgary with the cruise set at 170 all the way back (this was even in the winter on summer tires haha). That trip is definitely doable in 10.5 hours.

unless not driving like a pussy = taking the shoulder, running red lights, and crashing the canada/usa border by going offroad, catching a few minutes of airtime around golden where everything is at a standstill for construction, and running everyone on the 1-lane transcanada off the road, doesnt matter. when there is nowhere to go there is nowhere to go :)

johnny.r1.lee
12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
i've had an accident on rogers pass couple years ago, started spinning a very large curve...this was in january about 1 am... it it wasnt for the concrete barrier me and my dad would not be here today... we drove back to calgary all night doing 40 on the 1. since that day i will never drive through the mountains in the winter after dark

4DoorGTZ
12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Drove back from Seattle this summer through Cour-d'alane kalispell MT and up through cardston. Then went back to Kalispell last month.

Not a winter route at all, 1/2hr south of the border the road turns into a sharp corner up and down go-kart track of a road (for about 30mi) Speed limit is still 70, and that was fun in summer but utterly stupid in winter. Great scenic route, but in no way a time saver you can go through or around Galcier National park (s. of waterton)

johnny.r1.lee
12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
ok so probably better off taking 1 till i hit van?

buh_buh
12-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by googe

unless not driving like a pussy = taking the shoulder, running red lights, and crashing the canada/usa border by going offroad, catching a few minutes of airtime around golden where everything is at a standstill for construction, and running everyone on the 1-lane transcanada off the road, doesnt matter. when there is nowhere to go there is nowhere to go :) I was referring to the pessimist clem24 who claimed there is no FUCKING way that could've happened. But actually that sounds like kind of fun... if only I still had my mullet.

clem24
12-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Hey I've driven that route many many times. I just went 3 times this year alone. There is so much stinkin' traffic on that highway (#3) and so many stupid little towns that it just slows you down. It's a good 7.5 - 8 hours to Spokane. Then another 4.5 hours to Seattle. You do the math. If you want to fly there at 170, then yeah sure, be my guest.

But let's be realistic here. The average time is going to be about 11 hours. And BTW, the route through the US is actually LONGER than going through #1 and down thru Vancouver or Abottsford. But then again, the wait time at the border is much less. So perhaps OP can report back after he's done the trip.

And to OP.. Are you not reading the posts? Don't take #1. Esp. during winter. They can shut down that highway at any minute and you'll be stranded.

Nav13
12-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Hey John, my uncle lives in Seattle and we usually go visit him when we are in Vancouver. One time we took the spokane route straight to Seattle, its supposed to be faster but its very very boring, and yes you have to drive through alot of little towns which gets annoying. If the weathers looking alright I would much rather take the vancouver route, but if its looking bad, Id take the spokane route, but be prepaird to be bored outta your mind.

analbumcover
12-12-2007, 11:15 AM
all of you people are complaining about traffic, when i went to seattle last year i left at about 11pm and got there at about 1pm local time (factor in a stop in idaho and spokane for some ma fuggin IHOP).. there was no traffic at all and about a 1 minute stop at the border... Easy stuff, if you dont mind driving though the mountains at night with all the stupid truckers

johnny.r1.lee
12-12-2007, 01:01 PM
thanks nav and clem, i will check weather when we are leaving and decide then, i prefer #1 just because it is very familiar to me but if going south means less chances with snow so be it

clem24
12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Dude... for the last time.. Don't go on the #1. It's windy, it's treacherous, it's prone to getting shut down. Then there's the Coquihalla <sp>. That thing gets tons of winter storms. Of course, shut downs are not that common, but there's still a good chance.

This way through Spokane, it's basically one highway down to the US (#3). Even when you get to Cranbrook, you need to take an exit to stay on the #3. Otherwise, the road just keeps going right into the US and straight into Coeur d'Alene.

Once there, switch the I90. That's it. It's seriously much easier to drive than the #1 and #5 combo. Plus you don't have to wait for hours crossing at Blaine and getting harrassed.

But hey.. Do as you please.

johnny.r1.lee
12-12-2007, 08:17 PM
if the road your talking about is like a go cart track with many turns...
won't be very good with snow wont it?
#1's pretty straight mostly...

DiEseL86
12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Going through Idaho is Good. Then on the way back head through Van. :thumbsup:

loweg
12-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Got a buddy that got 2 tickets in idaho...not the smartest guy, but they were really looking out for speeders...but then again, the second cop told us you dont really have to pay them if you dont visit idaho again. and they will only affect your insurance if you are on the idaho insurance system...so I guess have fun!

rage2
12-14-2007, 08:22 AM
I drove from Seattle --> Vancouver --> Calgary in 9.5hrs. This was like 10 yrs ago in the summer. My wife at the time was really sick and she wanted to get home ASAP. So we did. Didn't have to drive that much over to do it.

I don't think it's doable in winter tho, nor with the crazy traffic that's out on highway 1 nowadays.