PDA

View Full Version : Shaw assfucking my credit?

bituerbo
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Had Shaw service, moved residences to a place where cable was inclusive. 2wks before moving called shaw to cancel, gave them forwarding address etc.

This was back in July.
Today get a call from collections agency for $230. The service was never cut off, they have no record of my call to discontinue service. I remember the guy I was speaking to asking if I wanted to just transfer my cable/internet instead of cancelling when I told him the reason was I'm moving, so I know this happened.

I'm going to be paying it immediately and will follow up with shaw as the amount is negligible - but my big concern is:

Having this amount go to Collections, is my 780 credit score down the tubes?

Shaw not once made an attempt at contacting me, either by mail (with the forwarding address I left them) or by phone (which I know they have, as they have telemarkted it before - against CRTC regulations).

gmoney82
12-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I hate dealing with shaw, rogers etc... Sorry i dont have anything productive to input, but my mom is in a similar situation...we cancelled Rogers home phone service 6 months ago to switch to shaw, and Rogers still sends a bill once a month and my mom once a month calls to cancel.

Bunch of leeches.

project240
12-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Did you actually have your mail forwarded with the post office? They may have sent notifications in the mail to your old address.

Shouldn't happen since you did cancel, but they may tell you they've been sending bills to your old address since July...

civicluva
12-11-2007, 06:00 PM
No it won't hurt your credit as they did not lend you any money. The worst that could happen is they can look at your credit and get your work information and harass you at work. It won't physically make your credit go down.

Antonito
12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by civicluva
No it won't hurt your credit as they did not lend you any money. The worst that could happen is they can look at your credit and get your work information and harass you at work. It won't physically make your credit go down.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure overdue payments on utilities do in fact hurt your credit IIRC

bituerbo
12-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I did not know you could forward your mail through Canada Post.

I just notified all my service providers (phone, energy, bank, and of course Shaw Cablesystems) of my new mailing address, cancelling energy and Cable services as they were now going to be inclusive in rent.

I will be running a credit report in Feb to see the result... I'm just looking to be put at ease.

urban.one
12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
It will go on your credit.

And with Rogers, they report to the credit bureaus - the account shows up on your credit report and late payments will ding you.

bituerbo
12-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes, you just reminded me, my Rogers phone service was on there, but Shaw was not... a glimmer of hope?

urban.one
12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
The collection agency would be the one who will report and not Shaw.

GQBalla
12-11-2007, 07:26 PM
did you give them your social insurance number?

im not sure if this is true but i heard the only way to truely affect your credit is if you gave them your insurance number.

250and3
12-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
did you give them your social insurance number?

im not sure if this is true but i heard the only way to truely affect your credit is if you gave them your insurance number.
They can attach notes to your credit file even without your SIN. And if it was referred to a collections agency, you can bet it will show up on your file.

As to how much it'll hurt your score, it might not be as much as you think, since it's a small dollar amount, and you have now paid it off.

Good luck!

broken_legs
12-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Never been sent to a collections agency but I have neglected to pay the shaw bill for 3 months.

I think I owed 330 dollars and nothing showed up on my credit bureau that I could see.

Maddog55
12-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I did not know you could forward your mail through Canada Post.

I just notified all my service providers (phone, energy, bank, and of course Shaw Cablesystems) of my new mailing address, cancelling energy and Cable services as they were now going to be inclusive in rent.

I will be running a credit report in Feb to see the result... I'm just looking to be put at ease.

Why not just do it online immediately? its free if you have it mailed to you thru canada post.

canadian_hustla
12-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by civicluva

that is incorrect

any collection (IE derogatory addition to your credit) will make your credit plummet. This stuff happens all the time

It was also make it pretty much impossible to get a credit card, loan, etc. depending on the conservativeness of the lender

your best bet is to pay, fight it afterwards, and request them write you a letter and fax that letter to equifax

Mazstyle
12-13-2007, 10:50 PM
780 credit score? damn thats good. Can I ask how old you are?